Forget ADSL, forget cable, forge fibre-ops, bring in the Pigeons! (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
On Friday March 12 2004, a group of several dozen Internet addicts from Israel and abroad, gathered in the large grass yard of the OHALO Center near the Sea of Galilee. The purpose of the gathering was to witness a live test sending 3 homing pigeons to 100 km distance (see a map), each carrying tiny memory cards containing, in total, 4 GB of data.

The purpose of the test was to validate a proof-of-concept for pigeon-empowered internet, to improve on previous approach experimented several years ago in Bergen, Norway, and to measure and establish that the usage of pigeons enable to transfer data faster than ADSL. It should also be noted that pigeons had other usages in the internet (see Google's own pigeonRank technology), as well as other birds such as ducks, penguins, etc.

In the OHALO test, along the shores of the Sea of Galilee, Dr. Yossi Vardi, with Ami Ben-Bassat, a science writer who manage the experiment together with Guy Vardi, the CPO (chief pigeon/technical officer), were trying to test a hypothesis that the rate of data transfer could be sped up by increasing the pigeons load.

Pigeons have long been biological carriers, mentioned Ben-Bassat. "For thousands of years, our culture has used the fact that a pigeon would return home at all costs. The most famous example is, of course, the story of Noah's Ark". In modern times, the genesis of the Reuters company is attributed to the utilization of pigeons for financial communications. A bit of a fascinating 19th century homing pigeons’ history could be found here

The TCP (Transmission by Carrier Pigeons) was carried wirelessly, in three packets, each consist of 1.3 GB, delivered by a different pigeon. The conditions of the experiment were clear: "The time of the transmission would be measured by the last pigeon to arrive; the data contained in the memory cards would be available and readable at the destination". No external sources of energy, such as batteries or electrical extension cord were to be used! The technology eliminated the need for cat 5 or fiber-optic cables!

I Pigeons' Data Transfer Rate: the bandwidth achieved by the pigeons was significantly larger that that available through commercially available ADSL broadband Internet connections: about 2.27 Mbps (Mega bit per second) as compared to 0.75 – 1.5 Mbps (see detailed calculations). Please note that all measured times are of an observer on the ground. If measured by the moving pigeon it self, times are a bit shorter, according to Einstein's relativity theory.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is just basic TCP/IP (Transfer Control Pigeons/Internet Pigeons)

For more secure communications, you could use PPTP; Point to Point Tunneling Pigeons

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Actually it may turn out to be a practical alternative in places where they can't afford to cable the whole place. They have a similar system in place (i don't remember where), where Wi-Fi equipped motorcycles would come in on a weekly basis and deliver all the e-mails from that week, then they'd also store outgoing e-mails and deliver them when they head out :)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    They have a similar system in place (i don't remember where), where Wi-Fi equipped motorcycles would come in on a weekly basis and deliver all the e-mails from that week, then they'd also store outgoing e-mails and deliver them when they head out :)
    India, I think. Martin posted an article on it a few months back.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    How about $5 for each difference I can name? :greedy:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    So $5 for one, right?

(Note: Everything said in this thread is a legally binding contract) :D

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    :wallbang: that's not fair

I'm taking my ball and going home :down:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Hah, that proves nothing. Half the people in this forum probably know how to save an html file and edit to their liking :D

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    Actually John, that was a poor choice, since motorcycles most likely have bird shit on them anyhoo ;)

Umm I'll say... flying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)