Footballing Culture in Your Country (2 Viewers)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
What does football represent in your country?Is it the biggest/most popular sport around?Which league is the perennial favourite etc.?

To get the discussion going,lets start with a short questionnaire.(*rate on a scale of 1 to 10).Elaboration would be very welcome as well.:)

1*. How easy is it to find a proper footie pitch or court?

2*. How much does your country's government support the development of football?

3. Do you see people,notably youngsters, playing football in the streets,at void decks etc.?

4. Does your country have a professional league? *If so, rate it's success.

5*. State the level of participation of women in football (at all levels).

6*. How much does the local newspaper focus on football in the sports section, in comparison with other sports?

7. What TV coverage do you get?

8*. How often do you play football?

9. Mention,if any,a couple of laws regarding the playing of football in your country.

10. Which league(s) does the local media focus on?

11. State one change you could make to the footballing culture in your country.(Be more specific,please.)

Have fun:)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
1*. How easy is it to find a proper footie pitch or court? Not hard- 9/10 (i know about 5 places)

2*. How much does your country's government support the development of football? It strongly supports it since germany started slipping 10/10

3. Do you see people,notably youngsters, playing football in the streets,at void decks etc.? Sometimes 6/10

4. Does your country have a professional league? *If so, rate it's success. The bundesliga. At the moment, the sucess is round about 7/10, but it the past it used to be the best in the world.

5*. State the level of participation of women in football (at all levels). you see loads of girls playing footie 10/10

6*. How much does the local newspaper focus on football in the sports section, in comparison with other sports? It focuses mainly on football- 9/10

7. What TV coverage do you get? Match of the day on the television live- :D8/10

8*. How often do you play football? Every Day when im fit- 10/10

9. Mention,if any,a couple of laws regarding the playing of football in your country. --------

10. Which league(s) does the local media focus on? Budesliga, 2. Bundesliga

11. State one change you could make to the footballing culture in your country.(Be more specific,please.) I would love inside halls to be cheaper to rent.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You'll find gravel pitches in every town but lately there have been investments for artificial grass pitches all over the country, some sponsored by soccer clubs (eg. Rosenborg), some by the government. Within pretty close range I got 3 pitches like that, course they're largely used by clubs so coming off the street you have to adjust to them, play when they don't etc. Normal grassy pitches don't work well in this climate and they're a lot harder/more expensive to maintain.

2*. How much does your country's government support the development of football?
See #1. A lot of schools have artificial grass pitches now.

3. Do you see people,notably youngsters, playing football in the streets,at void decks etc.?
no, we got enough pitches

yes, a pretty obscure one. Our biggest success is Rosenborg in the CL, as well as a few players going abroad to play in the big leagues, none really successful though.

very low, it would be like 10-20%. is an advantage to me cause then fewer people hog the pitch but there should be more female players cause at amateur level they're no worse than men are

6*. How much does the local newspaper focus on football in the sports section, in comparison with other sports?
Rosenborg dominates the headlines whenever they play

barely any at all, even Norwegian league is on Canal+, without cable you get just sports headlines with goals

couple of times a week, less in winter cause only one of the pitches I know has undersoil heating so it gets very popular when its cold

9. Mention,if any,a couple of laws regarding the playing of football in your country.
huh?

English, English, English. occasionally the clubs where Norwegian players play.

11. State one change you could make to the footballing culture in your country.(Be more specific,please.)
change the level of interest to be wider, encompass at least the Spanish and Italian leagues equal with the EPL

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    cool:)

++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    huh?
    stuff like where you're allowed to play ie.do you get arrested for playing in void decks etc. or any rules exclusive to your country regarding the joining of professional soccer clubs pertaining to nationality,EU status etc.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    What does football represent in your country?Is it the biggest/most popular sport around?Which league is the perennial favourite etc.?
    In Ireland, football has to compete with the Gaelic Athlethics Association games of football (differs in that you carry the ball in your hands, though you have to drop it onto your toe as you run with it; there are 15 man teams; and you score not just goals, but points (1/3 of a goal) for putting the ball over the bar) and hurling (similar to Gaelic football except with small, tennis-sized balls, and a metre-long 'hurl' (wooden stick) for controlling, carrying and striking it: the fastest field game in the world). It also has to compete, though to a lesser extent, with Rugby.

The EPL is the media's and the bulk of the fans' favourite, much to the disgust of us fans of the local teams. Celtic are a huge favourite amoung the plastic fans too.

Fot playing on? Easy. Lots of full-sized pitches, and plenty of astro-turf ones now too.

Pretty well, though funding for sport is split amoung the big ones, so football gets a smaller slice of the pie than in many countries. The government is half-funding the redevelopment of Lansdown road, where the Rugby and football teams play their international games.

What's a void deck? Yes, kids in Dublin play on the street. In the countryside, however, they're more likely to be fans of the GAA games.

The Eircom League is mostly semi-pro, though the top teams have gone pro for the past few seasons. Their successs in Europe has been pretty low, though Shelbourne gave good account of themselves against Deportivo this season. Unfortunately, the fans generally prefer to watch English teams on the TV, so even the top clubs in Ireland have less than 5,000 at a match.

Low. Very low.

About evenly split four ways: football, rugby(mostly in broadsheets), GAA, and other.

Lots of EPL, some of Scotland. Setanta have just set up, and are showing Eircom League and threatening to show Serie A.

Whenever I get a chance, which is disasterously rarely.

The GAA have a ban on non-Irish sports playing in their grounds. The younger generation mostly want this repealed, but a few dinosaurs on the council keep blocking it. They have a beautiful 80,000 seater stadium, which would be ideal for the rugby and football teams while Lansdown Road is being redeveloped, but unless they repeal the ban, we're looking at the Irish teams playing home games in Anfield, Old Trafford, Parkhead, Cardiff or some other British stadium. :(

See 6&7.

More people going to real, live games, supporting their local club, instead of shouting for Man U, Liverpool, or the pseudo-Irish Celtic as they piss on yet another crap team on the TV.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Interesting thread, Des. I'll post my answers to the questions when I get some time. :)
    you're just lazy aren't you;)

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    very interesting mikhail,and btw a void deck is the area of space near the lift lobby at the first level of a flat/condominium or the like.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

9 Almost any field can be a pitch, but there are many soccer fields around here.

7 We have the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) which helps draw youngsters into the game. I think soccer is the most played sport by kids now here.

3 Sometimes

5- the MLS. Not that great, but at least its a pro League (this one should be discussed later)

7 Many girls play here, which is a direct effect of AYSO.

2 Seldom :groan:

4 Fox Sports World. Just show EPL, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, and some Dutch matces. ESPN shows some MLS.

7 Depends. I'm playing for my school now so frequently, almost everyday.

No hands? :D

MLS and thats it.

More exposure to the top three European leagues and Champions League.

River

Jun 15, 2004

To get the discussion going,lets start with a short questionnaire.(*rate on a scale of 1 to 10).Elaboration would be very welcome as well.:)

very easy [9]

[9]

[10]. Especially in Liverpool. The punks are everywhere playing football against the wall :D

Considering this is an italian board, i wont bother rating it :D

8 - I think (although i dont know) that England has one of the strongest women football leagues

4/5 of the sport is football[9]

[10] Almost all football leagues including all English leagues, Scottish, Spanish Liga, Italian Serie A, German, French, Argentinian etc. And also the choice to watch whatever champions league game you want :cool:

Never

?

EPL

I couldnt make any changes heh.

Have fun:)

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002

You can find a football pitch in every twon... really Im not joking here :D

Having in account that soccer is the main sport here in Costa Rica, the goverment gives them alot of support, gerenally the president and most of his gabinet goes to matches of their favorite teams and to all of our national games

In any town that you visit you will se kids playing soccer, I can garantee you that

Yes... well its profesional, but not that good, I meaqn if you compared with italian leagues...

Well women soccer is very strong here, in fact in the last two years it has been pretty strong, now they have there own league and the national team is getting better

The sport section its all about soccer here...:D

Every channel broadcast soccer games, everytime theres a game in the league...

Not as often that I would like

9. Mention,if any,a couple of laws regarding the playing of football in your country

Dont get the question???.

The first divition league

I think that the main problem in our soccer is the managment, the federation are full of people that cares more of the bussiness of soccer than the sport it self, the need to understand that to improbe the quality of our soccer they have to begin a process and give it time...

Jul 19, 2003

[4/10] Difficult for recreational purposes. Unless you're involved in some kind of professional team, you don't have much access to proper facilities.

[3/10] The government gives a certain amount of money to help out the different clubs.

[10/10] Everywhere you go you'll find them, using stones as goal markers.

[8/10] Yes. With regards to Africa, it's been extremely successful as our top 2 clubs have the highest African titles.

[1/10] I haven't seen any, but I've heard of some participation.

[9/10] Other sports don't even exist on the sports page. They might get a thin strip of space in one of the sides of the last page of the sports section.

[10/10] Pretty much everything going on in the world of football.....local league, European leagues, WC, YWC, Olympics, Copa America......etc.

[1/10] Not too often nowadays......the uni is eating up my time.

I don't understand what you're asking.

Egyptian Premier League

I would dissolve the FA and found a new one that facilitates the way for footballers from early on. I would also try to do away with the frequent "firing and hiring" of NT coaches after 3-4 games at the helm.

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    Hey Don Bes or any other Canadians that follow their own football also. Look out for this kid, Jason Devenish. He plays for the Canadian u-17. He went to my school in Trinidad. He's Trinidadian and well, did what most good footballers from here do, go abroad and play for another country.

He's really good.

Ever heard of him?

Take from http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=82156&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

Canada has six players that are currently playing in youth and reserve teams for clubs in England, Germany, Holland, and Trinidad & Tobago. Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth) and forward Will Johnson (Blackburn Rovers) are with their respective clubs in England, while defender Robert Kerek is with SC Freiburg in Germany and midfielder Kerr McLeod is with BV Vitesse in Holland. Jason Devenish is with Queens Royal College in Trinidad & Tobago.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Hey Don Bes or any other Canadians that follow their own football also. Look out for this kid, Jason Devenish. He plays for the Canadian u-17. He went to my school in Trinidad. He's Trinidadian and well, did what most good footballers from here do, go abroad and play for another country.

He's really good.

Ever heard of him?

Take from http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=82156&itype=113&iCategoryID=0
    Nope. I suggest that he tries to go and play for some other country other than Canada when he gets to the senior level because they're a hopeless team. No support from government = Poor results = Less attention. Hopefully Canada will improve so that these youngsters get a chance to play with some big clubs. I would like to see that.

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Max ] ++

Nope. I suggest that he tries to go and play for some other country other than Canada when he gets to the senior level because they're a hopeless team. No support from government = Poor results = Less attention. Hopefully Canada will improve so that these youngsters get a chance to play with some big clubs. I would like to see that.
    Well he has Canadian and Tnt citizenship and has already played for the u-17 so he can't change :D

Maybe the youth squad has some potential to change the face of football in Canada.

Max

Jul 15, 2003

Maybe the youth squad has some potential to change the face of football in Canada.
    :LOL: Canada doesn't even have a professional league!!!

Jan 7, 2004

He's really good.

Ever heard of him?

nobody cares about canadian pro soccer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)