Football Versus Results (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Axis of evil? :D

I wouldn't mind if we got an established midfielder like Baraja (preferably no German like Ballack) but the problem is that they cost a lot :undecide:

Playing Maresca as a starter would of course indeed give that substitution problem. It would be easy if Davids could find consistency again (perhaps he would when given competition for his position by Maresca) and then Maresca could be sub, but there's too many if's in that for my liking...

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Tom

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #62
    A lot of 'ifs' indeed. Also you have to consider the fact that even when he is on form, Davids really could work on some areas of his game a lot more. The amount of times he gets in great positions just outside the box (the type of place that with Scholes you would see a goal or at least a powerful shot on target) and completely mishits it wide, its very frustrating and I don't think this is a form problem, he just can't shoot :D

It could be very costly in big games and the likes of Baraja would score from there quite often.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Dutch - German football rivalry thing. Nothing important, just me acting chauvinistic again :D
    You and the Germans, I hope you are never invaded again..;) You would lead the resistance, no?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

mmm... great point, the old 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' routine. Problem is moggi et al might begin to actually believe we are as good a team as our standings show. Fact is we are not in the top 4 teams in Europe certainly, but since we got there they may be satisfied with it.
    Huh huh.... i have not thinked on that way of see the thingds.

If thery are thinking in this way, well,. prepare to see the same team next season, but just without zalas

:eek:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Axis of evil? :D

I wouldn't mind if we got an established midfielder like Baraja (preferably no German like Ballack) but the problem is that they cost a lot :undecide:

Playing Maresca as a starter would of course indeed give that substitution problem. It would be easy if Davids could find consistency again (perhaps he would when given competition for his position by Maresca) and then Maresca could be sub, but there's too many if's in that for my liking...
    i dont see how you could compare Maresca to Davids!!

they are in different leagues...besides, Maresca is more offensive.

Stankovic, Baraja and Vieira are the only people who could take David's place.

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #68
    there are many more players than just the three you listed. You overestimate Davids to such an extent that only three players in the world are good enough to replace him, despite the fact that he can't shoot, is inconsistent with his passing and his number one hobby is to dribble into a crowd of players?

what about Emre for a start, he has equal if not more determination than Davids, plus is a much better player!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    but we have to take into account davids' ability to win balls, his willingness to take to the entire field to dfend and attack,his incredible workrate,how he hardly tires in a match and of course his competitive spirit.

emre,as good a player he is,doesn't match or come close to davids in those aspects IMHO.and there are few(very few)who do.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    there are many more players than just the three you listed. You overestimate Davids to such an extent that only three players in the world are good enough to replace him, despite the fact that he can't shoot, is inconsistent with his passing and his number one hobby is to dribble into a crowd of players?

what about Emre for a start, he has equal if not more determination than Davids, plus is a much better player!
    you might be right that there are more than 3 players, but i highly doubt that.

about Emre, i think he's great :thumb:
    but he's not a defensive mid.

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #71
    he doesn't have to be a defensive mid! thats tacchi's job :)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    Anyway, I've read some of your posts and I just began to wonder:

What would be you definition of playing attractive football?

For me, it doesn't necessarily mean that the teams have to score dozens of goals. Sure, scoring always excites the fans. But I get as much satisfaction and hype when I see good intense midfield battles between two good teams. Like the Manchester games for example in the CL. We may have not gotten the results, but the games were purely battled in midfield. Just seeing the whole team take part in their team's passing and the teams movement as a whole looked very attractive to me.

Now regarding to your question Paolo_Montero:

- Do you think it is time for change in mentality and approach to games?
    Do you mean that we have to be more attacking to be specific? Or we just need more flair players. Not necessarily to score goals, but falir that would just please the fans.

By the way, excellent post Paolo!

Jules

Apr 14, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    but we have to take into account davids' ability to win balls, his willingness to take to the entire field to dfend and attack,his incredible workrate,how he hardly tires in a match and of course his competitive spirit.

emre,as good a player he is,doesn't match or come close to davids in those aspects IMHO.and there are few(very few)who do.
    Thank you! Davids is a player who drives things, and to lose him, we would have to make sure that we would still have the kind of drive and ability to win balls that we would lose. It's easy enough to say we should get someone who shoots, but that is not Davids job, now is it?

Zambrotta wins fewer balls, doesn't have Davids work rate, and shoots like the Moon is his target. Why not pick on him?

I'm not picking on him, by the way, I like Zambrotta. Just pointing out that any player can have his game picked apart.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Jules ] ++

Thank you! Davids is a player who drives things, and to lose him, we would have to make sure that we would still have the kind of drive and ability to win balls that we would lose. It's easy enough to say we should get someone who shoots, but that is not Davids job, now is it?

Zambrotta wins fewer balls, doesn't have Davids work rate, and shoots like the Moon is his target. Why not pick on him?

I'm not picking on him, by the way, I like Zambrotta. Just pointing out that any player can have his game picked apart.
    i agree.zambro has to improve on many aspects in his game,and no offence to zambrotta's fans but he tends to overrate his own dribbling ability a little bit:)

he's been fine on the left though,and although he hasn't got a great shot he deserves credit for not shooting at ever possible opportunity.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Jules ] ++

i agree.zambro has to improve on many aspects in his game,and no offence to zambrotta's fans but he tends to overrate his own dribbling ability a little bit:)

he's been fine on the left though,and although he hasn't got a great shot he deserves credit for not shooting at ever possible opportunity.

few other DMs have the drive of davids,look at makelele and vieira who are technically superb but lack the competitive character and resilience of davids.ballack,baraja etc. don't match him in that aspect either.

honestly the only player i consider worth mentioning in the same sentence as davids is keane,but he's probably going overboard and isn't that good physically any more.

juvesta

Sep 6, 2002
    Contrary to what a lot of people say, I would field davids any time.He's a very great player and given a chance i wouldn't trade him for viera.If i remember well apparently he's the player that has more tackles in this year's champion's league.

IMHO players like viera are overrated, especially by the english media. This guy is a good player in the premiership but just wait until he moves into europe, you'll see that he is just an avg player.I know in the early ECL stages we had an argument about Arsenal and a lot of people here said that Arsenal were going to win it and i predicted that we'll go further than them. What happened?

But IMHO Davids is like no other player.maybe the only other person i share this view with is Capello.

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    Davids is truly an outstanding player. He does have an unmatched determination and grit. Those two are very important.

He wins a lot of balls for Juve in midfield. Plus, he has such great skill.

The only thing he lacks IMHO is that of the offensive aspect. He is a ball winner, a passer, but not much credit goes to him in the field of attacking.

But for me, thats not bad. It just shows how much commitment we get on the defensive side of the match from Edgar.

I would definitely not trade him for anyone else.

Though at times he does get nutty and commit cynical fouls.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Davids is unique no doubt, even Zidane admitted that.
    I think the problem with Davids as Erik and Paolo Montero mentioned is his consistency. Also, Davids is definitely on the downhill side in general if you compare his ability with that in 97-99 when he could easily take 4 or 5 people on.:down:.
    However, his drive, technical ability, and workrate makes him unique player and I can only see Roy Keane as being only comparable player to him.
    The problem in my view is not replacing Davids but how to improve team chemistry, balance in the team, and help to rebuild the team. It would be harder to replace Davids, Nedved, Thuram in all one go. Veteran presence is needed in any team but I am afraid we got too many, and if we pass difficult question today, it will haunt us in later years.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    I will just like to point out that Baraja were considered decent prospect playing for Athletico Madrid until his mid 20s.
    Ballack were relatively unknown before his heroics against Real.
    I understand, Maresca do carry risk, and which is quite true, but every player needs to be given opportunity and belief if he is to become a big player. Even Zizou were considered a risky buy when we first brought him to replace the likes of Sousa (who had far bigger reputation back then).
    I first seen Maresca as a under 20 captain for Italia, and to me he has the right temperament and talent to become outstanding professional.
    :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)