Finally, a Logical and Efficient Way to Use all that Gmail Space (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
...for Linux users only :p

GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and uses the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

GmailFS supports most file operations such as read, write, open, close, stat, symlink, link, unlink, truncate and rename. This means that you can use all your favourite unix command line tools to operate on files stored on Gmail (e.g. cp, ls, mv, rm, ln, grep etc. etc.).

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    so basically, instead of having to stupidly e-mail yourself all the files you want to store in your Gmail storage, you can just use it as a virtual 'folder'

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I heard about that last night, it's a brilliant idea. However, something tells me acccess time is not gonna rank right at the top of high performance filesystems like ext3 and reiserfs. :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Naturally, this isn't much good to someone like me, who only has a poor dial-up connection at home. :( Pity, if they had a small Win XP version, I could run it from my college account, and transfer files home.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    It's a good idea but I think they limit the size of attachments you can send (10 MB maybe?)
    I heard they found a work around for that. Still, the question remains whether google will allow it, apparently their terms of use forbid any kind of automation device to process your mailbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)