Final | Portugal - Greece (4 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

Hmmm... I don't get it... what do you want from me now?
I want to make it clear you shouldn't have made fun out of me because you thought I was no good at English. And more importantly I want to you to understand what I said. Now, I do know that what I said wasn't easy, but try to comprehend. I'm sure you'll be a more complete person afterwise.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++

And you shouldn't have started a new sentance there.
The sentance with if is a clause (of condition), so you'll need another part.
I guess going back to college and take some English lessons wouldn't hurt you :D.
Well, I got my Bachelor's and Master's in writing-intensive disciplines from top schools in the U.S. I don't need more college :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Well, I got my Bachelor's and Master's in writing-intensive disciplines from top schools in the U.S. I don't need more college :D
Yet you don't understand my correct sentances and you seem to have trouble respecting grammar.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I want to make it clear you shouldn't have made fun out of me because you thought I was no good at English. And more importantly I want to you to understand what I said. Now, I do know that what I said wasn't easy, but try to comprehend. I'm sure you'll be a more complete person afterwise.
It would be silly to assume that anyone would make fun of you just because of your English. I've been around since February I have not made fun of ANYBODY around here. I have respect to everyone in spite of their level of English, level of maturity, location, or hair colour.

Now, I want you to look back at your posts, and think what made this whole situation arise.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Yet you don't understand my correct sentances and you seem to have trouble respecting grammar.
Now just take a look at what you've written.

You say that I have trouble respecting grammer. Why do you have to say this?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

It would be silly to assume that anyone would make fun of you just because of your English. I've been around since February I have not made fun of ANYBODY around here. I have respect to everyone in spite of their level of English, level of maturity, location, or colour.

Now, I want you to look back at your posts, and think what made this whole situation arise.
Probably your arrogant attitude and your lack of capability of trying to understand my words. I made a perfect comparison with gladiators, yet everyone disagrees. And perhaps they really disagree, but I think they just didn't really think about it. But once again, there is no such thing as a general truth.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Now just take a look at what you've written.

You say that I have trouble respecting grammer. Why do you have to say this?
That's about your if-sentance and the fact you didn't understand my sentance. I'm not going to make fun out of you, I'm just saying you shouldn't accuse me of not being able to write English properly. (Which I perhaps can't) You should concentrate more on making decent sentances yourself, realising that an if-sentance is a clause.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Probably your arrogant attitude and your lack of capability of trying to understand my words. I made a perfect comparison with gladiators, yet everyone disagrees. And perhaps they really disagree, but I think they just didn't really think about it. But once again, there is no such thing as a general truth.
Here we go again! "Arrogant attitude"... "lack of capability in understanding your words"...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Here we go again! "Arrogant attitude"... "lack of capability in understanding your words"...
No, *sigh*, NOT a lack of capability of understanding my words, but a lack of capability of TRYING to understand my words.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

That's about your if-sentance and the fact you didn't understand my sentance. I'm not going to make fun out of you, I'm just saying you shouldn't accuse me of not being able to write English properly. (Which I perhaps can't) You should concentrate more on making decent sentances yourself, realising that an if-sentance is a clause.
Dude! This issue has been closed 3 or 4 pages ago when I have written that I am not going to argue over it.

Why do you keep wanting to talk about it?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Dude! This issue has been closed 3 or 4 pages ago when I have written that I am not going to argue over it.

Why do you keep wanting to talk about it?
Because when you don't even think about my sentances twice, chances are you aren't going to think twice about what I said. So before laughing away my thought that football players can be compared with gladiators you should have thought of it twice.

Again, I'm not saying I'm right because there is no such thing as a general truth. But I really think my comparison is correct.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The only thing you did was change my comparison and then say it was wrong. I never said football players don't play football to win. I said football isn't about creating winners, but about creating amusement.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Again, I'm not saying I'm right because there is no such thing as a general truth. But I really think my comparison is correct.
Ok, this book is closed. Your comparison was correct and I admit it.

Why do you say that if Azerbaijan is in the WC Finals, "They clearly won't play better" than France and Brazil? How do you know how they will play? Have you ever seen Azerbaijan play?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Ok, this book is closed. Your comparison was correct and I admit it.

Why do you say that if Azerbaijan is in the WC Finals, "They clearly won't play better" than France and Brazil? How do you know how they will play? Have you ever seen Azerbaijan play?
I saw them get bashed by Italy once, yes. I admit there is a possibility they play better. Though that chance is like 1 on a billion.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Ladies, enough is enough - put the claws and spittle away. If you want to continue this, do it via pm. If you persist here, I'll put a padlock on it.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Ladies, enough is enough - put the claws and spittle away. If you want to continue this, do it via pm. If you persist here, I'll put a padlock on it.
How ironic you're stopping this just as we're getting closer to the point.

I've nothing else to say.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Greeks party with football joy
By Richard Galpin
BBC correspondent in Athens

A night of wild celebrations is under way in Greece after their team's victory over Portugal in the final of the Euro 2004 football tournament.

At the beginning of this tournament no-one in their wildest dreams here had ever imagined their team would hold the cup aloft at the end of the final match.

It was a major step forward for the national team to qualify for the tournament and go to Portugal.

Now, not only has Greece won the final but on the way it has beaten some of the best teams in Europe, including the former champions, France, and the Czech Republic.

It is a total transformation for a team which had been regarded as something of a joke even by its own fans.

No surprise then that the people of Athens and all the other major towns and cities have poured onto the streets in celebration.

The centre of the capital is awash with people draped in the blue and white national flag, screaming, shouting and singing.

Fireworks are exploding everywhere. This is the biggest and noisiest party the country has seen for decades.

Before this tournament Greece had not won a single match in a major football competition.

Much of the credit goes to German coach Otto Rehhagel
They had qualified for the European Championships back in 1980, and the 1994 World Cup in the United States, and in the US they were thrashed in every single match.

So Sunday night's victory marks a total transformation of a team which even sports journalists in Athens had viewed as something of a joke.

No one took it seriously. Even the clubs didn't even want their players going to take part in international matches.

It has been a massive turnaround - and the excitement was building since the quarter-final victory against France, and the semi-final against the Czech Republic.

Celebrations exploded then, and that was only the quarters and semis. Now everyone is out on the streets, and they still can't quite believe it.

A former national team coach has described it as the greatest victory in Greek sporting history.

Obviously the players have been brilliant, but a lot of credit goes to the German coach, Otto Rehhagel, who has been with the team for the past three years.

He is the key to this success - after transforming a team that didn't have a lot of discipline, and didn't really play as a team at all.

From being 11 individuals on the pitch, he has pulled them together, and critically improved the defence.

Even when the team reached the quarter-final, he was being described as "King Otto", so who knows what reception he will get when the team returns on Monday evening?

With the Athens Olympics only a month away, this is a real boost for Greece.

Now Greece can look forward to the Olympics with confidence
They've had a very difficult time over the past few years, with delays to building the venues and the huge worries about security in the current international climate.

Now for Greece to win Euro 2004 and arrive on the international sporting map in such a dramatic fashion makes people here believe that things will turn around.

They hope the final approach to the Olympics will be a much more positive affair.

Of course all those issues still remain, particularly completing the venues, but certainly the officials and organisers remain optimistic that it will all be done.

Now people believe that the Olympics can be a Greek success - just like Euro 2004.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
In the continued discussion of what it means to be a champion NT in this day and age...

One of the more irritating things about sportscasters in general is that they perpetuate this perception that underdogs, particularly ones with great defenses, don't deserve the credit for winning as much as their opponents are guilty of playing poorly.

I could see that argument for the first Portugal-Greece match, as Scolari fielded too much deadwood that he had since corrected. But I heard a lot of comments about how Portugal played poorly yesterday. Aside of a bit of very poor set piece defense (that cost them the title), I would disagree. But even more annoying is that I heard the same of France when they played Greece, I heard the same of the Czech Republic when they played Greece, etc.

Comon! How many coincidental strings of "poor performances" of opponents do you need as evidence that maybe one of the primary reasons those teams looked bad was because Greece made them look bad? The same was true with Porto and the CL this year.

No wonder so many people think that this Euro sucked and that a team like Greece doesn't have legitimacy to their title. The media helps perpetuate this logic that teams like Greece and FC Porto were lucky and merely caught every successive opponent in an off game on the way to their titles. What a wild coincidence that so many would falter in bad form at the very time they played them. :(

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
...Scolari fielded too much deadwood that he had since corrected...
I thought Deco and Pauleta shouldn't have started, and they spent most of the match proving me right. It's a pretty serious mistake to field an attack made up entirely of wingers and deadwood, wouldn't you think?

That said, Greece do deserve a lot more credit than they're getting. One has to wonder how small the gap between the top 30 teams has shrunk to - Greece are far from a top ten side in the rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)