Filippo Ranocchia (1 Viewer)

OP
DanielSz

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
  • Thread Starter #4
    I’ve said it in other threads last season but I thought he was the clubs best set piece taker, and that included the senior squad. Takes them with both feet, is a threat from anywhere. Probably the most dangerous long range shooter we’ve got.

He was the most surprising guy with the u23 side as I knew nothing about him before. He was just steady the whole season. I get the feeling Allegri really likes him and he’ll stay with the first team. I’d rather he backup Loca (assuming that signing even happens) than an old fart like Pjanic.

Jun 16, 2020
    Im wondering who has better odds to stay between Ranocchia and Fagioli.

Ranocchia is coming from 2 great seasons, I'd say that Fagioli was more important at U19 in 19/20, when both played in a midfield of 3 mostly consisting of Ahamada - Fagioli - Ranocchia. That team lacked a bit in creativity, Ranocchia was deployed as a CM/CDM, probably with intentions of giving him attacking freedom but it wasnt very productive. You could see though that Ranocchia already had good abilities, was capable of reading the game and had some good tackles. His weak foot progressed a lot over the last 12-15 months as seen and said by Ranocchia in the post-match interview. Last year he was mostly playing in a pivot with Peeters. I missed most U23 games last year, especially after the wintermercato, but you could read the U23 thread and see that most were positive about him. Was more involved in attacks due to some good passes.

Fagioli is another type of footballer, he touches the ball with so much ease compared to other guys from his age, yet he stayed on the bench for the entire 20/21 season due to Pirlo. So sad for his development. He was outstanding in terms of passing and playing in tight spaces at U19 in 19/20. Without a doubt the most talented in our team back then. When playing with U23 you could see that he struggled with form last season.

I think that as things stand now, Ranocchia perhaps has a better chance. Also due to the fact that time is going fast and it would be nasty to leave Fagioli on the bench for another season. Difficult situation, unless we sell some midfielder(s) a decision has to be made. Hopefully Tuzzers understand the struggle of seeing fun midfielders in our youth and in the meantime watching epic fails of Bentancur and Ramsey with the senior squad. Our scouting is great, now we need to solve the puzzle of effectively using these guys in the first team.

Amen

Last edited:
    OP
    DanielSz

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
  • Thread Starter #6
    Im wondering who has better odds to stay between Ranocchia and Fagioli.

Ranocchia is coming from 2 great seasons, I'd say that Fagioli was more important at U19 in 19/20, when both played in a midfield of 3 mostly consisting of Ahamada - Fagioli - Ranocchia. That team lacked a bit in creativity, Ranocchia was deployed as a CM/CDM, probably with intentions of giving him attacking freedom but it wasnt very productive. You could see though that Ranocchia already had good abilities, was capable of reading the game and had some good tackles. His weak foot progressed a lot over the last 12-15 months as seen and said by Ranocchia in the post-match interview. Last year he was mostly playing in a pivot with Peeters. I missed most U23 games last year, especially after the wintermercato, but you could read the U23 thread and see that most were positive about him. Was more involved in attacks due to some good passes.

Fagioli is another type of footballer, he touches the ball with so much ease compared to other guys from his age, yet he stayed on the bench for the entire 20/21 season due to Pirlo. So sad for his development. He was outstanding in terms of passing and playing in tight spaces at U19 in 19/20. Without a doubt the most talented in our team back then.

I think that as things stand now, Ranocchia perhaps has a better chance. Also due to the fact that time is going fast and it would be nasty to leave Fagioli on the bench for another season. Difficult situation, unless we sell some midfielder(s) a decision has to be made. Hopefully Tuzzers understand the struggle of seeing fun midfielders in our youth and in the meantime watching epic fails of Bentancur and Ramsey with the senior squad. Our scouting is great, now we need to solve the puzzle of effectively using these guys in the first team.

Amen
    Both should stay. I think Ranocchia is better sitting deeper while Fagioli is better as a CAM even though he’s played the holding role. I see him more of a Modric/Isco hybrid (just comparing their roles, chill)

So there’s room for both, especially with Arthur’s injury. Just gotta forget Ramsey and Pjanic.

Jun 16, 2020
    Both should stay. I think Ranocchia is better sitting deeper while Fagioli is better as a CAM even though he’s played the holding role. I see him more of a Modric/Isco hybrid (just comparing their roles, chill)

So there’s room for both, especially with Arthur’s injury. Just gotta forget Ramsey and Pjanic.
    I could totally live with that outcome

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Too good for C, could get lost in B like the others. I also don't think there's any chance of both him and Fagioli staying, there aren't enough spots. He'll be playing in C again for 90% of the games or sat on the bench for half the season like Dragusin ended up.

Jun 16, 2020
    Too good for C, could get lost in B like the others. I also don't think there's any chance of both him and Fagioli staying, there aren't enough spots. He'll be playing in C again for 90% of the games or sat on the bench for half the season like Dragusin ended up.
    And Fagioli? He also has many requests in B.

Its difficult matter. My heart says don’t sign Pjanic and sell Ramsey, to make some space for Ranocchia or Fagioli. Everyone loves a good love story and we’re dying to see a primavera kid securing his spot in the first team. The truth on the other side is that playing a full season with another squad might be more useful for their development, so a loan remains a realistic option.

If we were Barca, Arsenal or Ajax this discussion wouldn’t exist. Even Real Madrid has a way better record than we have. I seriously doubt that they will play in C again this year, unless were planning to use them in the first team within a few months.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    And Fagioli? He also has many requests in B.

Its difficult matter. My heart says don’t sign Pjanic and sell Ramsey, to make some space for Ranocchia or Fagioli. Everyone loves a good love story and we’re dying to see a primavera kid securing his spot in the first team. The truth on the other side is that playing a full season with another squad might be more useful for their development, so a loan remains a realistic option.

If we were Barca, Arsenal or Ajax this discussion wouldn’t exist. Even Real Madrid has a way better record than we have. I seriously doubt that they will play in C again this year, unless were planning to use them in the first team within a few months.
    If it was up to me, considering the financial restraints this summer and Arthur's injury, which I think will be around for many months, I'd get Locatelli in and keep these two around the first team squad. There hasn't been a better time in years for a youth team player to break through - this is a problem area for the team and we don't have a massive amount of money to fix it. They should get a chance, a season at least to show their worth. But I still think space will be tight, as Allegri will keep hold of Ramsey.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
    If it was up to me, considering the financial restraints this summer and Arthur's injury, which I think will be around for many months, I'd get Locatelli in and keep these two around the first team squad. There hasn't been a better time in years for a youth team player to break through - this is a problem area for the team and we don't have a massive amount of money to fix it. They should get a chance, a season at least to show their worth. But I still think space will be tight, as Allegri will keep hold of Ramsey.
    If we loan them out, will they stop being counted as homegrown?

Decreasing the wage bill is a hot topic these days but we're also missing players who come from the academy, which hurts because the squad is kinda slim throughout a whole season.

Another argument to keep them is 5 changes rule. More players can get to lay coming off the bench and so do they.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    If we loan them out, will they stop being counted as homegrown?

Decreasing the wage bill is a hot topic these days but we're also missing players who come from the academy, which hurts because the squad is kinda slim throughout a whole season.

Another argument to keep them is 5 changes rule. More players can get to lay coming off the bench and so do they.
    Fagioli counts as HGC now regardless, as he has been here since he was 14. Ranocchia would need to stay here for another season to qualify.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    Fagioli counts as HGC now regardless, as he has been here since he was 14. Ranocchia would need to stay here for another season to qualify.
    and in the meantime, he can still play in the league as an u21 player, regardless of his homegrown status.

i'd prefer to keep both him and fagioli. if that's not an option for some reason, then loan fagioli (without an option or with a low buyback clause), and keep ranocchia just to make him qualify as a homegrown player. we'll need those guys in the near future at least as a depth option.

rainhard

May 5, 2004
    We need to put Fagioli, in the view like when we first getting Pogba. If he get that position, I think he will become one of the main force in the Italian NT just like Pogba with France NT

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002
    Kepp him and Fagioli in the team...

We dont know how much time will Arthur take to recover and if he does if he will fit into Allergri's style.

If we keep Ramsey we know thta he will spend 70% on time injured

If we get Pjanic well... we dont know his shape and wich Pjanic we will get.

Bentancur its also a incognite.

I can see place in the team for Fagioli and Rannochia...

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
    the key point to the development of future young players is to get the u23 team to Serie B and we should do everything we can to do this, if we are able to promote them then we will have so much more ability to develop new young stars, not worrying they will get lost in Perugia or Frosinone. Afaik u can put few senior players in your u23 team - we should get a players who can decide games in Serie C/Serie B for this spots, pay them good money and they will bring u promotion.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    the key point to the development of future young players is to get the u23 team to Serie B and we should do everything we can to do this, if we are able to promote them then we will have so much more ability to develop new young stars, not worrying they will get lost in Perugia or Frosinone. Afaik u can put few senior players in your u23 team - we should get a players who can decide games in Serie C/Serie B for this spots, pay them good money and they will bring u promotion.
    It would be a an important step but it is difficult to achieve and maintain with an U23 team who turn over a lot of players every couple of seasons. If you look at the B teams of other leading clubs:

Real Madrid Castilla - 4 seasons in 2nd tier, 21 seasons in 3rd tier
    Barcelona B - 7 in 2nd tier, 18 in 3rd tier
    FC Bayern II - 16 in 3rd tier, 9 in 4th tier
    Dortmund II - 11 in 3rd tier, 11 in 4th tier

German clubs can only reach the third tier, but only twice have Bayern II finished 1st in 3. Liga in that time, and not top 3 otherwise. Dortmund II have always struggled badly in 3. Liga, but they often promote young players early.

If you look at the U23 team we'll field next season, even if you include 2 or 3 over-30 players the average age of the team is still below 21.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
    It would be a an important step but it is difficult to achieve and maintain with an U23 team who turn over a lot of players every couple of seasons. If you look at the B teams of other leading clubs:

Real Madrid Castilla - 4 seasons in 2nd tier, 21 seasons in 3rd tier
    Barcelona B - 7 in 2nd tier, 18 in 3rd tier
    FC Bayern II - 16 in 3rd tier, 9 in 4th tier
    Dortmund II - 11 in 3rd tier, 11 in 4th tier

German clubs can only reach the third tier, but only twice have Bayern II finished 1st in 3. Liga in that time, and not top 3 otherwise. Dortmund II have always struggled badly in 3. Liga, but they often promote young players early.

If you look at the U23 team we'll field next season, even if you include 2 or 3 over-30 players the average age of the team is still below 21.
    Thats useful info, wasnt aware they are not constant 2nd tier teams for Barca and Real - thought we are the only one playing in 3rd tier. In this case we can only be pacient and wait till this b team brings us some jewels and treat 2nd tier promotion as something extra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)