Filip Kostić (15 Viewers)

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
Probably a lot to do with watching him hit 70% of his attempted crosses directly into the full back nearly every game being such a clear visual.

I believe that issue itself is down to a combination of:
- new environment, slightly nervous so no additional finesse and just trying to cross it early.
- minimal work in training on movement in the box with crossing practice.
- not including tonight he usually only has one marked target in the box against 3/4 defender.
- much like Cuadrado over the years, no overlapping full back or CM/LCB showing for a pass, so the opponent is not expecting anything other than him to wind up for the cross.
the main thing seems to be the first point, I like him, but he looked nervous as fuck in his first few games and made some awkard decisions. Hope fully he can improve in time and we already see some glimpses of it, but we need more, much more.
On this forum it seems u can either critize or praise the player, while its not always black and white. The truth is, he is getting vital assists and now a goal, but he can do much better (and should do much better) if he improves his general play (especially decision making) and also if the team improves the movement in the penalty box (its vital to his play and it already seems to happen with Milik inclusion to the first XI). Berna comparision is hard because we saw two versions of Berna at Juve - at the start of his stay with us, when he was very useful rotational player for one or two seasons (some of us were even saying to sell Dybala and make him the leader lol - not sure if i was in that bunch) and then the second half of his stay where he turned to a rockstar and was total shit.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
The early cross to McKennie is what we need to be doing a lot more of when we're not on the counter. Alex Sandro (I think) dragged his marker, McKennie timed his run well and we had an unmarked cross to an unmarked header.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
Looks like Max already affected this guys style, at first when he came he was making tons of low crosses which only needed some midfielder making a run into the penalty to finish it. Right now plan seems to be to only make high crosses for headers, he rarely makes any low crosses lately. This is stupid for me, even though his low crosses didnt work that well (mostly due to the lack of players in the penalty) they were dangerous moves, high crosses are a gamble and Vlahovic is not exactly an expert in headers too.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Looks like Max already affected this guys style, at first when he came he was making tons of low crosses which only needed some midfielder making a run into the penalty to finish it. Right now plan seems to be to only make high crosses for headers, he rarely makes any low crosses lately. This is stupid for me, even though his low crosses didnt work that well (mostly due to the lack of players in the penalty) they were dangerous moves, high crosses are a gamble and Vlahovic is not exactly an expert in headers too.
He did some low crosses vs Haifa at home a couple of games ago.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I agree, his low crosses fall right into the most dangerous areas but there's no one there. And another thing with our crossing is our entire team is so deep. The opponent makes a last ditch effort to clear it and it falls harmlessly in midfield, but our backline is somewhere near the keeper instead of maintaining the pressure.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I still fail to see why we dug out 17m to sign him. The large majority of his crosses are shit. They usually hit the defender or are too low. Can't do 1-on-1's or dribble. Pretty much every defender knows how to defend him out.

I even think Giaccherini was a better player than him on a lot of levels.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
I still fail to see why we dug out 17m to sign him. The large majority of his crosses are shit. They usually hit the defender or are too low. Can't do 1-on-1's or dribble. Pretty much every defender knows how to defend him out.

He's actually doing quite well despite our current state. But he needs the strikers to finish his crosses... He both gifted Kean and Vlahovic great balls. Vlaho's header ws saved but Keans really should have been a goal. Then the Vlaho-McKennie-Loca triple chance also started from his low cross. The finishes on the end of his crosses are simply abysmal.

Last edited:

Zzak

Sep 11, 2014

17M is peanuts in today's money. He's a decent squad player but shouldn't be a starter once Chiesa is back.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

17m+2.5m salary on low taxes for Kostic imo is one of the best deals we made lately (not that theres a lot of competition), great price/output ratio.

If we did more deals like this, we'd comfortably be in top4 even with Max at the helm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)