FIFA WC All-Star squad (3 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Stephan said:
actually i would have even chosen tevez over crespo. tevez run around a lot and made dirty work such as coming back to midfield, collecting the ball. crespo is just a "waiting his moment inside the penalty area" striker.
You and I would have, but Pekerman thought otherwise. :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
i am talking about fifa choises for star team not about pekerman, tevez did play for argentina. and the entire game against germany ;)

Dano

Jul 5, 2006
He certainly does. I just can’t believe Maniche is on there… He had an average World Cup, probably good for someone of his calibre, but still I really don’t think he deserves to be on that list. He had a couple shots from a distance, wow. Now where is Grosso!

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
Ze Roberto is a freak i rate him!!

Rubbish are Totti, Ballack the rest aint too bad! Where is Maxi and Grosso , Grosso won 2 matches by himself! on with a maravolus strike and one by a wonderful vertical jump! What more must a player do!

Maniche helped portugal alot wen he came in side and he scored to goals in a side that never looked like scoring! Crespo scored goals as he always does!

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
giovanotti said:
FIFA...:disagree:

Ze Roberto,Ballack,Maniche and Crespo....joke.

agreed, all ben quite poor

especially maniche, i really dont get y he's so highly rated, i guess they have more of a memory of his gol against holland in euro 2004 than his overall performance in this wc

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Badass Devil said:
agreed, all ben quite poor

especially maniche, i really dont get y he's so highly rated, i guess they have more of a memory of his gol against holland in euro 2004 than his overall performance in this wc
To be honest,I don't know either,but maybe they had to pick one player from the Portuguese squad because they are playing for the 3rd place....if I was to pick,my choice from Portugal would be definitely Ricardo,not Maniche.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
giovanotti said:
To be honest,I don't know either,but maybe they had to pick one player from the Portuguese squad because they are playing for the 3rd place....if I was to pick,my choice from Portugal would be definitely Ricardo,not Maniche.
i personally wud of given some recognirion to joao ricardo - the angolan gk, considering he's been pretty good for a gk who has been training alone for a year as he has no club, or at least kingson the ghana gk, he's such a raw gk but effective at close range.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Badass Devil said:
i personally wud of given some recognirion to joao ricardo - the angolan gk, considering he's been pretty good for a gk who has been training alone for a year as he has no club, or at least kingson the ghana gk, he's such a raw gk but effective at close range.
Ok,but we are talking here about the best player of the World Cup,and if someone has to participate from the Portuguese squad,that should be Ricardo,in my opinion.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
giovanotti said:
Ok,but we are talking here about the best player of the World Cup,and if someone has to participate from the Portuguese squad,that should be Ricardo,in my opinion.
João Ricardo was awesome, IMO. While Portugal's Ricardo had an amazing run against England, unlike Angola's João Ricardo he was generally not tested much due to the pretty solid backline Carvahlo held for him. Though the Angolans were no slouches on defense (only on offense, as expected).

If we had to pick one Portuguese player as their best in the Cup, I would have to choose Ricardo Carvahlo. He kept Ricardo from getting tested much. He had to fill in with a partner of Fernando Meira (!!!) for an injured Jorge Andrade and still managed to help Portugal get as many clean sheets as they had.

His only real mistake in the whole Cup was his whiff at the ball against Henry and the subsequent call that put France in the finals. But that was minor in my opinion, and the Portuguese attack did nothing to redeem it.

To underscore the importance of Carvahlo's play, pay attention to Portugal against Germany in the losers' bracket today. It will be a very different Portuguese defense without him (he's suspended on cards) -- and certainly not for the better. (Though Miguel will likely be out with an injury also.)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
swag said:
João Ricardo was awesome, IMO. While Portugal's Ricardo had an amazing run against England, unlike Angola's João Ricardo he was generally not tested much due to the pretty solid backline Carvahlo held for him. Though the Angolans were no slouches on defense (only on offense, as expected).

If we had to pick one Portuguese player as their best in the Cup, I would have to choose Ricardo Carvahlo. He kept Ricardo from getting tested much. He had to fill in with a partner of Fernando Meira (!!!) for an injured Jorge Andrade and still managed to help Portugal get as many clean sheets as they had.

His only real mistake in the whole Cup was his whiff at the ball against Henry and the subsequent call that put France in the finals. But that was minor in my opinion, and the Portuguese attack did nothing to redeem it.

To underscore the importance of Carvahlo's play, pay attention to Portugal against Germany in the losers' bracket today. It will be a very different Portuguese defense without him (he's suspended on cards) -- and certainly not for the better. (Though Miguel will likely be out with an injury also.)
Nice description,Greg.
So,no Maniche for the best player of the World Cup.:agree:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
giovanotti said:
Nice description,Greg.
So,no Maniche for the best player of the World Cup.:agree:
Maniche did very well -- particularly in comparison with his crummy club performances since Euro 2004. Since Portugal was so pathetic close to goal, he closed the gap by essentially being the driving scoring force for two of Portugal's victories.

Another thing I remembered about Carvahlo's play. In that PK incident with Henry, he was playing across the field in the opposite corner of the box. While it's clear you'd want Carvahlo assigned to mark Henry, he was essentially making up for where Meira should have been (Carvahlo has been playing left centerback).

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
swag said:
Maniche did very well -- particularly in comparison with his crummy club performances since Euro 2004. Since Portugal was so pathetic close to goal, he closed the gap by essentially being the driving scoring force for two of Portugal's victories.

Another thing I remembered about Carvahlo's play. In that PK incident with Henry, he was playing across the field in the opposite corner of the box. While it's clear you'd want Carvahlo assigned to mark Henry, he was essentially making up for where Meira should have been (Carvahlo has been playing left centerback).
Yes but does Maniche deserve to find himself as a concurrent for the best player of the WC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)