FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (12 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I didn't watch it.

Friendlies are nothingness.
Did you see the way Brazil played?

Did you see the expression on Lucio's face when he scored the winning goal?

Did you see how Brazil celebrated their victory?

Never really seen a friendly tournament taken that seriously and stirring that much emotions tbh.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
And of course, the Italian Americans I know on Facebook have nothing but words of distaste for the team. It's like they expect us to be as fantastic as Italy in closing down matches.
Because with advancement on the line, Italy gagged 3-0 as opposed to the USA at 3-2?

In Vinmanspeak, "We are the CHUMPions" for sure.

Well his subs were a little nutty today. Bornstein?
Bornstein should have come on for Black Mouth. That guy turned into a liability in the last half with giveaways, missed tackles, etc. He looked tired.

So I'm pretty sure that Spector and DeMerrit just won starting positions.
Both were solid. Spector got beat on the wing by Kaka a couple times, but that's hardly a dishonor.

Maicon and Dani Alves really were key for them. We couldn't shut them down.
We chose not to shut them down. Both this and the Spain match, the U.S. left the opposing wingers open with a lot of free space so we could crowd the box more. It worked against Spain, but not against the superior crosses of Brazil's fullbacks.

What blew the game for the U.S., IMO, was Bradley's lack of developing team depth. Players got tired, but he fielded the best, most experienced team he could. His subs were all significant steps down or players who have been given only a few minutes of play, if at all, in the tournament.

Adu's and Torres' benchwarming came back to kill Bradley, IMO.

Jul 29, 2008
That Conf. Cup was ok. Its not friendly ofcourse. On the other hand lack of motivation was in every Spain/Italy/Brazil game.

About USA: WC2010 will show who they are. I am not optimist, but i bet my native NT will go more far through than USA(If we will qualify to WC). NO offence, just my thoughts.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
The US fought, has fought really well. We have to give them that! They were not just a filler team, them and Egyptians was a pleasant surprise. For me esp them, as i has no expectations. They might have indeed made some steps of improvement!!

The Brazil is Brazil, they can beat anyone at their day, they have a huge confidence, quality and experience, to turn games like that!
No regrets, the US made history today, even for a HT, they pawned the best team of the world!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Because with advancement on the line, Italy gagged 3-0 as opposed to the USA at 3-2?

In Vinmanspeak, "We are the CHUMPions" for sure.
As if we played a horrible, horrible match.

No offense, Greg, but please spare me this crap. We did our best.

Bornstein should have come on for Black Mouth. That guy turned into a liability in the last half with giveaways, missed tackles, etc. He looked tired.
Bocanegra is overrated by our fans. He doesn't impress me.

We chose not to shut them down. Both this and the Spain match, the U.S. left the opposing wingers open with a lot of free space so we could crowd the box more. It worked against Spain, but not against the superior crosses of Brazil's fullbacks.

What blew the game for the U.S., IMO, was Bradley's lack of developing team depth. Players got tired, but he fielded the best, most experienced team he could. His subs were all significant steps down or players who have been given only a few minutes of play, if at all, in the tournament.

Adu's and Torres' benchwarming came back to kill Bradley, IMO.
We didn't "choose" to not shut them down, we had to protect the middle, which is what helped us get through Spain. Donovan and Dempsey are not great defensively, but they have got to do better in delaying their fullbacks. Instead they tried to take away space more towards the middle which is what we probably had to do, so it's not like they were totally off. Brazil can attack from anywhere so you have to shut down the middle first.

And you're right about Torres, Adu, et cetera. They should be field more, and Torres isn't even in the Gold Cup squad.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
For me 1/4 final of WC 2002 was much more serious perfomance by US than that conf.cup..
Belgium played the semis of a World Cup and played a final of the Euros. If this was not a friendly tournament, as some of you claim, the final should be more important than the quarter finals of a World Cup. The biggest teams play the Confederations Cup right?

Still, two wins and three losses is what I call a poor track record.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
As if we played a horrible, horrible match.

No offense, Greg, but please spare me this crap. We did our best.
I think you misinterpreted my Vinman paraphrasing about the Italian team for a personal statement about the US team.

Italy bowed out to Brazil with their tails between their legs and couldn't even muster a comeback to the most ridiculous of odds for the U.S. to go through the group stage. The US made Brazil nervous at least.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think you misinterpreted my Vinman paraphrasing about the Italian team for a personal statement about the US team.

Italy bowed out to Brazil with their tails between their legs and couldn't even muster a comeback to the most ridiculous of odds for the U.S. to go through the group stage. The US made Brazil nervous at least.
Sorry for misinterpreting. Thought you were agreeing with their view.

Belgium played the semis of a World Cup and played a final of the Euros. If this was not a friendly tournament, as some of you claim, the final should be more important than the quarter finals of a World Cup. The biggest teams play the Confederations Cup right?

Supporting Italy over your own country is what I call a poor track record.

But I don't blame you considering your own country doesn't even exist.

Jul 29, 2008

I didnt say Belgium is bad. If such situation was on WC US would finish 4th in their group without doubt. But its not WC, its Conf. cup and they in Final, and damn it was fuckin goodlookng how they beat Spain and played on Brazil's nerves whole final.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Unfortunately the US has got mentality problems too. The games against Italy, Spain and Brazil were all rather similar. The US sat back after scoring first and suffered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)