Fernando Llorente (9 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Tevez is better than Llorente, and is clearly ready to make an immediate impact. He also has an obvious understanding with Vucinic. Ergo - those two start.

And after 3 games it really is not 'worrying' that he played 'no minutes'. Let's get real. We have scored 9 goals in 3 games. So I'm struggling to think of anything which is actually less of an issue right now than who is playing the fill-in minutes en route to three points.

Quite obviously Conte is not happy with him right now, or he would play. When Conte thinks he is ready he will play, and when he actually plays maybe it would be wise to then judge him.

I think all this stems from anxiety to see him play rather than anything else, and maybe a morbid fascination to see someone fail.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Conte can be extremely stubborn and dare I say, obsessive when it comes to new players fitting the system. We've seen it with Elia, Isla and Bendtner lately. Tevez is and was always going to be a guarantee. Llorente unfortunately has come off a season that's a bit of a write off, which seems to be what Conte is judging him by for better or worse.

There is a fair argument in saying that at 4-1, you'd help the new player break in, without the weight of expectation, but that didn't happen. While Conte also justified this by saying that he's still not accustomed to the system being a Spanish player in Serie A where the defenders are a lot more experienced. I feel like that's directed to the player rather than the media.

All that said, irrespective of what Conte thinks, it is only right that the player is given a 6 month period to acclimatize to his new environment, if he is to be considered a long term entity on this team. Llorente will definitely get his chances. Some of us expect him to start at the outset, so we maybe a bit disappointed, but from a long term perspective, I think it's ok if he doesn't feature in the first month or so. A little more time than that, can begin to build anxiety in the player himself and create self doubt and affect temperament. You stop playing freely when you're under the microscope.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
He'll get his chances don't worry. Even such a clown as Bendtner got his chances. It's hard to predict which way it all goes. If he's patient enough he should be ok.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Conte on Llorente

"When not playing for a year you lose some intensity, some aggression. Also, the Spanish football is a bit different to the game we play in Italy, here defenders are very experienced. However, his hard-work will pay off."
Wow, deja vu. Where have I heard similar comments before, just not with the words Spanish?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
There is a fair argument in saying that at 4-1, you'd help the new player break in, without the weight of expectation, but that didn't happen. While Conte also justified this by saying that he's still not accustomed to the system being a Spanish player in Serie A where the defenders are a lot more experienced. I feel like that's directed to the player rather than the media.
Why would Conte direct comments at players through the media?

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
you said the same thing about llorente just like isla. "oh he didnt play. oh he'll integrate later as he becomes more fit understand our tactics"

what happened there? oh yeah conte doesnt do that. he doesnt give chances like that.

llorente is done. stop crying, grow a pair, deal with it and move on. nothing to be ashamed of.
History is proving you right?

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
He really needs to take his chance when he gets it against lower Serie-A teams or in the Coppa Italia. Crucial that he does, or we might see another Elia-scenario. Conte losing all faith in the player, I mean.

May 15, 2013

• Did you know that Llorentes girlfriend name is Maria Lorente?

• Did you know that because of racist Bilbao this is the first time Llorente is playing with any foreign players in his career?

Mind? Blown.
Excuse me but here in Athletic Club nobody is a racist.

Athletic Club plays only with Basque players o Basque County formed player, there is no racism in that decision, in 1898 Athletic Club played with a mix of local players and English players, due to a reclamation of other Spanish teams accusing Athletic Club of cheating because have foreingner players the Club overreacted adopting the current policy.

There is no racism in that decision because Athletic Club don´t excludes a player because his race, anybody could play here if he grows as player in any Basque football academy, don´t matter race o nationality.

Furino

Dec 31, 2012
  • Did you know that because of racist Bilbao this is the first time Llorente is playing with any foreign players in his career?
Not so fast buddy. He played with Fernando Amorebieta. Born in Venezuela, playing for them senior national team (in Athletic 2005-2013) and last season he played with Aymeric Laporte born in France and playing for them youth national team.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
I don't think "racist" is the correct term, because like others have said a player can potentially be of any ethnic background as long as he was raised in the greater Basque Country. But they are exclusive.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Not so fast buddy. He played with Fernando Amorebieta. Born in Venezuela, playing for them senior national team (in Athletic 2005-2013) and last season he played with Aymeric Laporte born in France and playing for them youth national team.
They're both Basque and white though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)