Ferdinand banned for eight months (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
isnt 8 months a bit too long just for missing a drug test. sorry, but im an ignorant person so i do not undersand the rules much. I mean, yeah, he missed a test, actions should be taken for that but 8 months ?? besides whats the big deal, cant he just take the same test the next day or something

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
isnt 8 months a bit too long just for missing a drug test. sorry, but im an ignorant person so i do not undersand the rules much. I mean, yeah, he missed a test, actions should be taken for that but 8 months ?? besides whats the big deal, cant he just take the same test the next day or something
missing a drugs test is a serious matter. if a playerwere to take the test a day or two later, then maybe the drug has already wash-out of his system (nott that i'm saying rio took drugs)...so there's no way of knowing for sure whether a player is taking drugs or not

but, i'm not sure whether 8months is ideal or not. he cud have gotten more than that....

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

missing a drugs test is a serious matter. if a playerwere to take the test a day or two later, then maybe the drug has already wash-out of his system (nott that i'm saying rio took drugs)...so there's no way of knowing for sure whether a player is taking drugs or not

but, i'm not sure whether 8months is ideal or not. he cud have gotten more than that....
2 years...he should have been banned for 2 years for missing a drug test, this is a big case, 8 months is such a short-term of period, I think after this, many player who take drugs doesn't have to go for drug test cause they know they will only be ban for 8 months instead of 2 years

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
if u took pot and smoke some shit the day before the test and woke up next day realising you're in some deep shit, you're prolly miss your regular drug test too..

yeap, i dont see the point in my post either

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
i can't say anything abt the length of the punishment. but to me.... i don't think that he simply forgot to go for that test.

he's a pro footballer... I'm sure he has a manager/assisitant/secratray/even his own club who would either call him to remind him abt the test or once they realise that he's late.

And he had 2 things to do on that day. Move house and drug test. Moving house, anyone could help you to move stuff. If it's like arranging your personal things, i'm sure you wouldn't have to do it at a specific time.

In any case... if he diddn't make it to move house..... there would be very little consequences.... if he forgot the test...... he must have know such serious things would happen. And comon sense would be to remember the more ipmt/serious/ potentialy careear harming event right?

Some people say..... if he knew that he would be punished for something surely he wouldn't not go on poupose.

But if you were on some dope..... it's be worse to test positive and be acussed of doping than for missing a test. So......

He's a pro footballer..... this is part of what he's paid for. He can't just say... "oh... i forgot. I'm only human" What will he say next? "oh... i forgot there was a game today.... sori i'm late..... can you play me as a sub later on instead? i'm on my way. " ?

And i think this lenghty ban was given to deter any copy cat offenders in the future..... if they let Rio of more lightly.... others may think that if they could miss the test instead of risk testing positive and they will get a lighter punishment. Now like this at least it's a msg to others.... missing a test won't leave you much better off than actually being caught, so don't try this.

mmmm...... hope that last bit made sense :stress:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
i thought the reason was that he was moving house on the same day as the drugs tests and he forgot abt the test.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
At first I thought the 8 months was way too much, but after reading some posts from Shadowfax and Roverbhoy I've changed my mind. The suspension was necessary.
Still I think it's unacceptable how this case was handled. Don't they have any kind of rules for what suspension or fine you should have for missing a test. It seems kind of unfair that a guy who accidently misses a test gets 8 months when a guy who actually used doping only got 4 months. FIFA has to make clear rules in this matter.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
I'm glad that he was punished, and that FA didnt let it go without any punishment.
He should be happy that he got only 8 months, that's not that big punishement, but fined only £50,000 ? It's ridiculous, cause it's not much for him, why not to fined him by such amount of money, which really affect him?

I wrote earlier what I think about him "forgetting" about that test, so no need to reply it again here.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
How come?
If normal worker forgot about VERY important duty connected with his work, he could be even sacked.

It's absolutely fair.
I wrote sth looooong about that before, and I dont want to reply myself again.
Rio is not worth if spending my time writing about him more than necesarily :D

Sep 28, 2002
vit, i can see clearly from your posts that you do not adore rio. but why exactly is he punished more severely than players that were actually caught using doping?

yes, the ban was neccesaty, but why 8 months? ehy not 5 like davids, stam or de boer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)