Fenerbahce's Appiah: Juventus told me I wouldn't be sold (1 Viewer)

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
Fenerbahce midfielder Stephen Appiah has revealed he was assured by Juventus chiefs that he wouldn't be sold during the summer.
The Ghana international said: "A week before I left Juventus they assured me that they would not let me go.

"Then they signed Vieira and Giannachedda while I was away with Ghana. When I returned they told me I was being sold to Turkey.

"I was upset. I wanted the chance to play for Juve and show what I could do."

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Even though I'm sad about the sale of Appiah, I'm glad for him becos for once he can go to a place where his potential is finally shown.

Appiah has been played out of position, whether u can accept this fact or not. In the Ghanian NT, he plays totti's role, and is hailed as Ghana's hero. he is more of an attacking midfielder. He can dribble, he can pass and he can shoot free-kicks too. Too bad all his talents were restricted in Juve. He is forced to defend, when going offensive is more of his calibre, and the point where his talents are showcased. That explains how he scores in Cagliari.

Giannichedda suits the team more since he is a defensive midfielder from the way I see it. He can also play as centre back. His characteristics fit Capello's system more, which is y he came here for free. His performances in Lazio is convincing for me to welcome hiim. Moreover he accepts bench role. A really good buy I would say. I will put him as a substitute for Emerson.

So basically it isn't right + fair to say that Appiah is better than Giannichedda, but a comparison on who fits Capello's system more, in which Gianni will be more of a suitable candidate. Appiah is better than Gianni talent-wise, but too bad he will be put as the partner of Emerson instead of the role behind strikers.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i feel sorry for him. how blasi survived is beyond me. along with maresca, appiah should have not been sold. two players the club will feel once injuries occur.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
Even though I'm sad about the sale of Appiah, I'm glad for him becos for once he can go to a place where his potential is finally shown.

Appiah has been played out of position, whether u can accept this fact or not. In the Ghanian NT, he plays totti's role, and is hailed as Ghana's hero. he is more of an attacking midfielder. He can dribble, he can pass and he can shoot free-kicks too. Too bad all his talents were restricted in Juve. He is forced to defend, when going offensive is more of his calibre, and the point where his talents are showcased. That explains how he scores in Cagliari.
Appiah will flourish in Fenerbahce......any one know anything bout his current condition following his early exit out of last nights game??

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
yeah but i think blasi has better overall potential, although appiah played some good games at the end of the season.

the good thing about gianni is that he can play in defense as well as in the midfield so i think thats big point in his part.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Why we sold Appiah just to bring in Giannichedda makes absolutely no sense...another dumb transfer decision by either Moggi or Capello. At the end of last season he actually had some good performances, much better than what Giannichedda is capable of, and what do we do we just disregard that and sell him...doesn't make any sense.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Why we sold Appiah just to bring in Giannichedda makes absolutely no sense...another dumb transfer decision by either Moggi or Capello. At the end of last season he actually had some good performances, much better than what Giannichedda is capable of, and what do we do we just disregard that and sell him...doesn't make any sense.
it doesnt make sense the way you look at it andy, appiah was sold to cash in for viera, gianicheda was here for free

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by djleli ] ++

it doesnt make sense the way you look at it andy, appiah was sold to cash in for viera, gianicheda was here for free
My thoughts exactly.

And to be honest, of all the players I would be sad to see go, Appiah was very low on my list. His play started to improve towards the end of last season, but I didn't think he was going to be starter material anytime soon anyway. (Though with Blasi last season, you never know...)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
when he was given a chance in 03/04 he constantly sucked.
exactly. He might flourish in Fener, but honestly, who the fvck cares since he couldn't deliver at Juve.

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
:wth: Are you serious?! The turks agreed to pay quite frankly hilarious overprice for a player that Juve wouldn't need anyway. I believe that you tend to overrate Appiah just because he played well in those last, basicly meaningless games. Yes, he did fine job in few bigger matches too, but the fact is that he just couldn't contribute his best all the time.

Not to forget that in the same time Juve made place for one more player with non-EU status... Or the facts that Giannichedda has more experience, he has proved that he's a consistent perfomer, he won't complain about sitting on the bench and he can also play at CB. I'd definitely rate Giannichedda better or at par with Appiah, no doubt about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)