Felipe Melo (81 Viewers)

jussr

Jan 26, 2011
Vastly improved salary swung it for you Felipe? bleed black and white do you?

Good player, nothing more. No big loss, I wish him well.
I agree 100%, just wishing well is something I can't do. Kissing the badge and then exposing yourself as a money whore after not giving what was expected from him is a disgrace. I'll forget him the minute he signs for his new team.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Ooooo, you're gonna hate me for this Alen:D :

The Rounds Where Marchisio was in his natural role as Center Mid:
(The bolded is when Melo was playing)

1. Bari@away(L) –Pepe(Lanzafame), Melo(Sissoko), Krasic(Martinez). 1 Goal conceded.
2. Samp@home(D)-Krasic(Iaquinta), Melo, Pepe(Aquilani)3 Goals conceded.
3. Udine@away(W) –Melo(Sissoko), Krasic, Pepe. 0 Goals conceded
4. Palermo@away(L)-Krasic, Melo, Pepe(Iaquinta). 3 Goals conceded
19. Napoli@away(L)-Krasic, Aquilani, Pepe(Motta), Amauri, Toni. 3 goals conceded.
27. Bologna@home(L)-Krasic, Melo, Martinez( Del Piero), Iaquinta(Toni). 2 Goals conceded
28. Milan@home(L) -Martinez, Felipe Melo, Krasic; Toni (Iaquinta). 1 goal conceded
29. Cesena@away(D)- Krasic (Grygera 46), Aquilani, Pepe; Matri (Iaquinta), Del Piero (Martinez). 2 goals conceded
30. Bresica@home(W) -Krasic, Aquilani, Pepe. 1 goal conceded
31. Roma@away(W) -Felipe Melo, Aquilani, Pepe, Krasic (Salihamidzic). 0 goals conceded
32. Genoa@home(W) -Aquilani, Felipe Melo (Toni), Krasic, Matri, Pepe (Martinez). 2 Goals conceded
33. Viola@away(D) -Aquilani, Felipe Melo, Krasic (Del Piero), Matri (Toni), Pepe. 0 Goals conceded
36. Chievo@away(D) -Krasic (Toni), Aquilani, Pepe. 2 Goals conceded
38. Napoli@home(D) -Krasic (De Ceglie), Aquilani, Pepe (Boniperti). 2 goals conceded

Results w/ Melo: L, D, W, L, L, L, W, W, D (9 games, 11 points earned)
Results w/o Melo: L, D, W, D, D (5 games, 6 points earned)

Goals conceded w Melo: 12 goals conceded
Goals conceded w/o Melo: 10 goals conceded

And now I will be doing the same for when he was a LM...so please bare with me, it takes a while. :D
I'm not sure what's your point with this, but if you think there is some point, keep going.

My only point was unrelated to Melo or Aquilani or anyone else at all. It was only about Marchisio and the claims that he wasn't good only because he played out of position.
I think I proved that there was no difference at all if he played as CM (14 matches) or LM (18 matches) and that as a team we actually achieved better results when he was a LM. Not to mention how we did better when he didn't play at all

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I'm not sure what's your point with this, but if you think there is some point, keep going.

My only point was unrelated to Melo or Aquilani or anyone else at all. It was only about Marchisio and the claims that he wasn't good only because he played out of position.
I think I proved that there was no difference at all if he played as CM (14 matches) or LM (18 matches) and that as a team we actually achieved better results when he was a LM. Not to mention how we did better when he didn't play at all
I sorta have a point, but it would seriously take me hours to sort all the data out, explain it, etc. When you explained how we did better with him as a LM it sorta rang a bell, let me try and explain because if I fish through each individual game day this page is going to start looking like the Matrix.

What I am driving at, and let me know your thoughts (non statistical if possible, just football related discussion...and I will try and do the same, that is keep #'s out of this post)...is that when he played in the middle with Melo, Aquilani, Sissoko most of the times he was flanked by either Krasic on the right, Pepe/Martinez on the left and I was also trying to see any patterns of who was playing up front between Toni, Iaquinta, Amauri, DP, Quag, Matri.

When he was moved to the left he replaced both Martinez/Pepe and by default and I think you will agree, that as a result our possession became better. It is no coincidence Marchisio is tied to Melo in terms of passing completion. Also, in turn I do not think it is a coincidence that when he was a LM our results improved drastically and I am convinced that is due to the better possession we exemplified by his intelligent play (keeping it simple I mean). Look, Krasic was marked out of games once the league figured out our attack and granted Marchisio is not a LM but he was quite competent in the role and took "some" (not all) the pressure off Krasic to at least balance things out better. Pepe was too one dimensional IMO, but he works like no other and produced results by score some good goals on both the left and right.

What I am trying my dearest to explain is that our overall possession was better when we had Aquilani a competent passer next to Melo and Marchisio to the left to open up passing lanes and give our CMs other options. What I am struggling to explain through data is that when you have trees for forwards it cuts forward passing lanes down so of course its going to look like our mids are invisible when they are forced to play it square or even back in some cases.

No, this is where I find it even more difficult to explain myself :)D)...Ugh, gonna get bashed for this: Had we had a more legit LM for the games when Marchisio was a CM with (or without) Melo I am confident he would have been a much stronger CM than the results display...not just for his sake but the overall team would not have had to rely on Krasic so much...but unfortunately that was the case and our forward movements where horrible because krasic was our only threat. Now if we had a great LM to play when BOTH MELO & MARCHISIO were playing together, then both of their performances would have been better along with the teams.

They both worked too hard with no real end product: Melo was forced to constantly try and win balls because we couldn't keep possession (not his fault, except when he had his brain farts) and Marchisio really couldn't push forward or pass forward all that much because the movement around him was so horrible. I blame last seasons horrible performances on lack or inability to keep possession and the overall movement of our offense...and in terms of offense you could see light and day when Quag was in and when Matri came because DP was able to use their smarts rather than hoping Amauri/Iaquinta/Toni grew a brain.

:D

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
are you serious, you were the one yesterday bringing up the numbers and the stats, i think your sidekick's comment was "numbers/stats dont lie" dude no one in their right mind would argue that Melo was our best mid last year.
I don't have a sidekick, I've been pretty much going at this argument by myself. I posted the absolute basic numbers of goals, assists and passing completion yesterday from the links that someone posted.

I don't even think you are reading my posts at this point, I think you are already convinced of the way you want to see it.

bleach

Jul 18, 2011
:lol: are you serious, you were the one yesterday bringing up the numbers and the stats, i think your sidekick's comment was "numbers/stats dont lie" :howler: dude no one in their right mind would argue against Melo being our best mid last year.
Yep. Unfortunately we have people like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 79)