Felipe Melo (36 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There were no title ambitions with this squad from the start, but i'd say he helped in killing our CL chances. It was obvious.
It was obvious? When? Just one match is the difference from 8th to 3rd?

I thought it was Quag's injury that ended our season. :jester:

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I'm sure that's the case for some players we have, unfortunately.
True. Melo being one of them, sadly.

Anyway, what he said was idiotic & the way in which he said it just made it worse.
Saying that we played like shit & we need to do better, would have been fine for me. Don't think anyone's going to disagree with that.
Saying that some/many players on the team are or played like shit but that you have nothing to do with that and are happy with your own performance is just talking like a 4 year old child, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not even the first time he made similar statements. Man up & shoulder some of the blame, is what I would say.

As if he's had such a good season in the first place. Sure, compared to the shit that happened earlier, there was a substantial improvement. But just being among the better performers in last season's team doesn't mean your performances were good, let alone great.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
True. Melo being one of them, sadly.

Anyway, what he said was idiotic & the way in which he said it just made it worse.
Saying that we played like shit & we need to do better, would have been fine for me. Don't think anyone's going to disagree with that.
Saying that some/many players on the team are or played like shit but that you have nothing to do with that and are happy with your own performance is just talking like a 4 year old child, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not even the first time he made similar statements. Man up & shoulder some of the blame, is what I would say.

As if he's had such a good season in the first place. Sure, compared to the shit that happened earlier, there was a substantial improvement. But just being among the better performers in last season's team doesn't mean your performances were good, let alone great.
You really think Melo gave up? I'd say Marchisio gave up more than he did.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
It was obvious? When? Just one match is the difference from 8th to 3rd?

I thought it was Quag's injury that ended our season. :jester:
Delneri, Motta, Pepe, Amauri, Iaquinta, Quag injury and Melo's mental breakdowns. All of these factors destroyed our season. He should've not talked bad about his teammates when he contributed to the failure even if it was with less impact. That's the point.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Delneri, Motta, Pepe, Amauri, Iaquinta, Quag injury and Melo's mental breakdowns. All of these factors destroyed our season. He should've not talked bad about his teammates when he contributed to the failure even if it was with less impact. That's the point.
Marotta contributed to the failure, but I don't see you telling him to shut up.

Fuck some of his teammates, if anything Melo is one of four people who actually give a damn on this team. Chiellini, DP and Buffon being the others. The rest of the side, including a "bandiera", doesn't seem to give a crap.

So I applaud Melo. He can say what he wants about this joke of a side.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
You really think Melo gave up? I'd say Marchisio gave up more than he did.
Does it even matter what you or I think when Melo flat out admits that he/they gave up? But yeah, let's praise him for such an attitude.

But there were obviously more players who seemed to give up as well, ranging from Aqui to Iaquinta and Motta and Krasic or even Chiellini. And others.
Don't know about Marchisio, personally I don't think he did, to me he is a player who almost always gives his all. Now whether or not said "all" is enough, is a different matter.

Edit: If Melo really did care about the team, surely he wouldn't put his own performances before the team's performances/results?

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005

Fuck some of his teammates, if anything Melo is one of four people who actually give a damn on this team. Chiellini, DP and Buffon being the others. The rest of the side, including a "bandiera", doesn't seem to give a crap.

I wake up every morning cursing Marotta. What does DP, Buffon and Chiellini have to do with this? They didn't attack their teammates, did they?

I'm not talking about Melo's ability, he just made an idiotic comment and should be fined for it. Unless, he did ZERO mistakes throughout the season, he's just being disrespectful. I've never seen a Juve player attacking another since I start following this team. This is the work of pre-calciopoli Inter.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001

Man you mix everything with each others. Marotta is a horrible manager, agreed. Melo played good, agreed again, I wouldn't blame him for the season's failure, agreed again, but this doesn't mean he has the right to criticize the manager or say some players aren't worthy to stay here. What if those players stay here, wouldn't that harm team's spirit/union? Of course what he says is true, but is it right for players to talk shit about their team mates? wouldn't that make the atmosphere even worse? Not even the captain talk this way, who the fuck gave him the rights to talk like this? Don't mix everything with each others, Marotta's failure or his performance has nothing to do with this, it's simply not his job to talk about these, you just can't talk negative about your teammates, that's not acceptable.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I wake up every morning cursing Marotta. What does DP, Buffon and Chiellini have to do with this? They didn't attack their teammates, did they?

I'm not talking about Melo's ability, he just made an idiotic comment and should be fined for it. Unless, he did ZERO mistakes throughout the season, he's just being disrespectful. I've never seen a Juve player attacking another since I start following this team. This is the work of pre-calciopoli Inter.
Everything has changed in this club to worse after calciopoli, I don't know if anything worse left to see yet..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Does it even matter what you or I think when Melo flat out admits that he/they gave up? But yeah, let's praise him for such an attitude.
Watching him play, I can't say he gave up. Others, certainly.

Don't know about Marchisio, personally I don't think he did, to me he is a player who almost always gives his all. Now whether or not said "all" is enough, is a different matter.
He doesn't strike me as someone who gives his all. I've seen him walk off the pitch several times this season without even breaking a sweat.

Edit: If Melo really did care about the team, surely he wouldn't put his own performances before the team's performances/results?
I think he was simply making a point. Personally, I don't mind it when someone speaks the truth. The truth hurts a lot of people, hopefully it hits Marotta like a clenched fist. Perhaps that will knock some sense into them.

Well I simply disagree.

Man you mix everything with each others. Marotta is a horrible manager, agreed. Melo played good, agreed again, I wouldn't blame him for the season's failure, agreed again, but this doesn't mean he has the right to criticize the manager or say some players aren't worthy to stay here. What if those players stay here, wouldn't that harm team's spirit/union? Of course what he says is true, but is it right for players to talk shit about their team mates? wouldn't that make the atmosphere even worse? Not even the captain talk this way, who the fuck gave him the rights to talk like this? Don't mix everything with each others, Marotta's failure or his performance has nothing to do with this, it's simply not his job to talk about these, you just can't talk negative about your teammates, that's not acceptable.
Or it could kick those players in the ass to prove Melo wrong. A bit of competition in the club itself is healthy.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
When we signed Felipe Melo, in early July of 2009, I was happy, but also somewhat unknowing, of What we were buying for a then publicly stated EU25m. We had been courting D'agostino in the preceding weeks. Seemingly destined to procure him, but Pozzo kept upping the ante, and when it got to EU18m, negogitations froze, and within a handful of days, we signed Melo.

at the time this seemed exciting and bizarre. Exciting...because i had seen Big Phil in action only in highlights of games, and more fully over the course of a whole game when Juve played fiorentina. In all those snippets, I saw a demonically uncompromising midfield hatchet man, with bravery and joy of the battle and carnage that ensues, happily married to brute physique and solid technical abilities on the ball. Bizarre...because we focused so much, on a regista, then, when the going got too tough, we instead signed a deranged, cultured and savage central midfielder. It was a strange move...similar in some way to Ranieri the Summer before, concluding that Alonso was too slow for Serie A, so let's get Poulsen.

Neither of those moves make any sense whatsoever, given what led to them.

In his first season at Juve, Felipe Melo was deployed...as...not a brutal midfield enforcer, but as a fucking regista. He failed there, as Gary Lineker would have failed had he been asked to play left wing( Lineker is the first name of Melo's son, who he named in homage to the former England star stiker...further evidence of Melo proving not quite right in the head, but interestingly so!)...To add to playing a starring role in Juve's worst season in 50 years or so, Melo went on to the world cup with Brazil, played okay in the games leading up to the quarter-final with Holland, then not only scored an own goal, but then cemented his nation's departure from the tournament by stamping on the pathetically flimsy Robben. The future of Melo looked far from bright...apparently, he was told by a team mate from the brazilian team that he shouldn't go back to Brazil...so, quite severe eh!

To his credit, Melo returned to pre-season training with professionalism and desire to prove himself. Delneri must surely take some of the credit, as the two of them have been seen to be mutually fond, and perhaps all that Melo needed to regain his mental balance, and there in turn his form on the field, was a sincerely warm arm around his neck...there must be reasons for the impressive turn-around in form which transformed Melo from arch villain, to our player of the season; a man constantly bossing the midfield, with a natural regista playing alongside him he was able to find himself in his most natural position. Reading the play, intercepting attack after attack, playing the ball intelligently, shielding Aquilani, driving forward only with due diligence, timing tackles to perfection, fighting hard for every loose ball...and only ONCE, kicking someone in the face intentionally.

It pains me to start believing the rumours that he is to be sold. the reaction to his recent criticisms of the club, leading to more speculation that he is on his way out. Because Felipe Melo...big fucking Phil...the madman i have grown to love so dearly...is the ONLY player in our present squad, other than Del Piero, who demonstrated constantly last season, a horrible, horrible, season, the grinta, that we were renowned for, globally..before 2006. This last season, Melo became a true juventino to me.

I often criticize not marchisio himself, but the high opinions of him of other juve supporters. Claudio loves the club, feels part of the club, and has as much determination as he can muster. He has a definitely stronger connection to the club than Melo...but...Melo's determination is more useful to the team. Much more. I can accept Melo, once, or at most twice per season, kicking someone in the face, especially if it is completely uncalled for...In some awful way, that actually endears him to me more, for it adds to our armaments, a serious Fear factor. Opponents will be thinking...'that melo cunt is going to kick me in the face, maybe take an eye out...best avoid him like the plague'.

Who would you be more confident of going in against for a 50/50 ball? Melo or Marchisio?

This leads me onto another topic, which I will touch upon as briefly as possible, as this is supposed to be the Melo thread!

We used to have players who made the opposition scared by the reputation of their talent, and also their physical strength, and also their brutality. We now lack all of those kinds of Fear factor. Teams play us without fear of us brutalizing them or embarassing them with our superior technique. we need to focus on improving the techincal level of the squad, and also the Menace of the squad.

Chiellini goes in hard, but always fair, never nasty. But Terry? Vidic? Samuel?...Davids?Tachinardi?Montero?Kohler?even Zidane(who as gorgeously gifted with god given technique as he was, there was also a very obvious streak of physical venom about him)?

As a team, we lack both players whose talent alone scares the opposition, and also players whose mentality and brute physicality scares the opposition. Melo is a player who adds something to our overall technique levels, and adds much to our fear factor in a more Warrior-like manner. My adoration for the man, is not confined to his abilities needed purely throughout the course of the mechanics of a football match, its the way his character shines through which brings me the most joy. His dance against the Milanese ranks as something truly special, for all time. it was something very, very weird, but also brilliant at the same time, it was exactly what the swine deserved, and nobody knew how to react...I also greatly enjoyed the roll after Toni clipped him, which was ridiculous, not merely 'simulation'. And even though it ruined the dreams of a whole nation, I approved greatly and proudly of seeing him crunch robben...that fucker had it coming.

Its also amusing and very rare to see players of our own team, have their natural joy at scoring a goal suddenly checked, by the advance of Melo towards them...For he comes at them like a man possessed. I get the impression that some of the others in our squad are scared of him, as in they just smile when this giant baby plays his 'tricks' on them...and seems to enter into a dangerous to anyone within 6 feet trance, in which he shakes violently, or worse, and more damaging to our reputation, does that strange very camp chicken dance, which he introduced to the world against Milan...

he will never truly grow up into what most of see as adulthood, but he will bring us far more joy and success than dismay.

truly, more than any other player in the squad, i hope he stays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)