Felipe Melo (8 Viewers)

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Brazil star Melo names his son Lineker

Melo will win his 19th cap for Brazil against North Korea on Tuesday
Brazil's Felipe Melo has revealed he named his son after former England star and BBC presenter Gary Lineker.

"I gave that name to my son because I find it very beautiful, different... and an honour," Melo revealed.

"He was a great player, a big name in the national team of England and in the history of the English national team."

The 26-year-old Juventus midfielder is expected to be named in Brazil's side to take on North Korea on Tuesday in their opening match of the World Cup.

He added: "For me it's an honour to play under the gaze of so many great players of world football - Pele, Maradona, Lineker and other great players."

Melo, who will be winning his 19th cap for Brazil on Tuesday, has been compared to manager Dunga following his impressive displays in the holding midfield role.

"We have similar characteristics and that's important," Melo said. "Every team needs a player with a strong character to help out when a team-mate is in need.

"We have similar style, always working hard to steal a ball here and there. I never like to lose a challenge and he was like that too.

"Dunga dominated his position. I'm trying to learn from his experience and the tips he is always giving me. He has already won everything - I haven't."

Dunga won 96 caps for Brazil and was captain when they won the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Brazil, who are bidding to win their sixth World Cup, follow the North Korea encounter with Group G games against the Ivory Coast on 20 June 20, also in Johannesburg, and against Portugal on 25 June 25 in Durban.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)