Felipe Melo (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
There was no way we could have won in our first season back from Serie B and last year Inter were far to ahead of us in consistency. Even this year it would be tough IMO to beat Inter. As much as I hate them they still have a stronger squad. Now with a change of formation and Diego/Canna will give us something extra. Melo/D'ago would give us another huge step and we already have an all star offense. You talk about being realistic? I think you are about as far from realistic by saying that they have failed us by ruining our chances of winning anything. They have been bold and upfront with us by taking small steps on improving, sure they got their hopes up in Coppa or CL by beating Real but the players themselves remained grounded. They didn't fail Cronios or anything close. We don't have the money to splash around like they do, getting back to our "standard" takes time and effort and planning. Not every plan will work out to our benefit, we will make mistakes but as a whole we are getting better and stronger. I feel like you give the club the short end of the stick and not the benefit of the doubt. Its not realistic to say our Board will fail us or have failed us, its realistic to say that Inter were just too strong for us last year. Simple as that.

It always seems, as I get the impression, that you wouldn't be upset if we did fail as it would have supported all your arguments on here. Hopefully with Ciro we will use our youngsters to the clubs advantage this year, like Gio who can give us our spark. IF YOU SAY that you will be OK if DC stays and we get a new right back to replace Grygera that you will be happy I am going to save the damn comment as my signature so at the end of the season if we didn't win anything I want to know where you will stand then or if you revert back to your pessimistic view of our transfer mercato this summer by claiming you knew all along that Secco would fail us with bad signings. No one knows for sure if a player will be successful at a new club. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. We won with Sissoko and Amauri, lost with Almiron/Tiago and still waiting on Poulsen. That is the game you play with a limited budget for one of the biggest clubs in the world trying to rescue their reputation. You try to get the biggest bang for your buck and you have to understand we needed depth last year and had we had not had the injuries that we had things would have turned out differently and you wouldn't be whistling dixie about our board and its failures.
Look, i never demanded/expected from us to win anything right away!!
IMO we never had any realistic to do that! (well except the cup this year)
So i am not blaming anyone for that.
And i am not blaming our board and Secco for not splashing much more money
(although losing important players for just 2-5mil becomes an issue)

What i was expecting them to do, is slowly, really slowly build a competitive team, adding a couple of competitive player-starters/season.
And take the maximum/optimal advantage of out limited funds (200mil or so)

I blame them strictly for their choices and strategical planning, not because of the results, i m pleased with the results, but very disappointed by the direction we are/were heading to.

To have chances beating Inter some time in the future and do better against the better teams in Europe. We need a competitive team in every line.
The situation in our defense is inexcusable.
We cant be a serious challenger with Grygera-Legro-Molinaro as starters.
We are going nowhere with those guys, they cant compete with the best players out there and they dont have the potential to improve enough and reach that level in the future. Investing our future on their feet is laughable.

Our board never made a real effort/invest to have them replaced.
When it was pretty clear to all that they we are weakness and dragging our team down. We made a very competitive strike force indeed, but our team is not balanced, as our subs on the attack, are better than our starters in our defense!

When i am saying the have failed, i dont mean failed titles, i mean that they have failed to improve the quality percentage of our starters and give us at least the chance to compete with the best in future. In football there are no guarantees,
no one can demands a title IMO, but the chances to get title!

When we came back from serie B, we had
Chiellini, Buffon, Camo, Nedved, DP, Treze and the somewhat used-to-be reliable CZ+Zebi and the very promising Marchisio, Criscito, DC and Giovinco, who already played well with us in seria B and showed the potential to become a part of our team in the five year plan.
6/11 competitive players and a bench of promising players. Adding two starters/season with the money we did used was completely doable.
In a couple of seasons, we could already field a competitive team. And then start replacing our retiring champions as they retire year by year and use the youngsters for depth and starter slots later on(Giovinco, DC, Marchisio, Nocerino, Palla, Ariaudo, Criscito)

Thats exactly what i was expecting; small, but sure steps forward!!
But we have sacrificed all that for momentary gains!
After all these years, we have slightly upgrade this quality % of starters Amauri, Diego, Sissoko, DP, Camo, Chiellini, Buffon just 7/11 Where is that improvement you are talking about??
We sacrificed our future, our funds to make this plan become true, just for some quick results and the dream of a title that never came and never realistically had any chances of coming.
After all these years and millions we have spent, we have only added Amauri, Sissoko and Diego. IMO we could have added at least 2-4 more starters instead of Almiron, Tiago, Andrade, Poulsen, Molinaro, Grygera, Mellberg and Iaquinta.
Those 2-4 starters plus our youngsters would give at least the same momentary gains, but much better hopes in the future!!
We sacrificed all these funds for what?? For what?? If this is not a managerial failure, then what is it??

The money we have wasted for these subs, not only gave us no real advantages, than our remaining champions and extensive use of our youngsters would,
but also compromised our five year plan as we have already spent the bulk of the transfer packet we had and we cant now recover anything back. And have difficulties of acquiring more players, due to the increased number of junk...

I hope that explains were i stand! I dont blame them for the typical reason most of the supporters do:
-I dont blame them, because we won no titles, i blame for trying to win titles without realistic chances, by sacrificing our future competitiveness.
-I dont blame them for not spending like Real Madrid, i blame for misusing the available funds we had!
-I dont blame them for Inter's over-power, i blame them for doing (almost) nothing to close that gap, in the long run. (by increasing the quality % of our starters)
-I dont blame them for giving us those small momentary gains, that will increase our current chances, but i do blame them, when they come at the expense of our future, much more realistic chances!
-I dont blame them for adding few quality players, i blame for the position of those players play on the field and the role they have in our team and the priority to get them instead of others!
- I dont blame them, because they were not optimal, (although they ought to be at this level), but i blame them when they learn nothing from their mistakes and keep repeating them!!
-I dont blame them because calciopoli forced us to use incompetent managers, as urgent solution, but i do blame them for keep insisting with them!!

Whats so exciting with this year's transfers??
They have started really well, replacing a champion with another one,
keep us, as competitive now and in the future.
But what about replacing Mellberg with the 4 year older Canna?? How is that exciting?? What kind of strategic benefits it gives us for the future??
I really doubt that at this age, he is a real upgrade to our current choices.
When are we going to opt for a permanent solution in our defense, why always some cheap/free quick fixes Mellberg, Grygera, Canna, Grosso??
Why do we always keep spending for every other line, than our defense??
Why cant we sell anyone for more than just 2.5 mil?
Why did we threw away Criscito and allow Genoa to buy his half and keep him, when our coach said we need him?
Why do we keep having faith on Zebina and Grygera, when they fail us every year?
Why is turning Marchisio into a sub, a higher priority than turning Grygera into a sub? How many years we have been trying to improve our CMs, at the expense of our full-backs??
When is this going to chance??
Why the rush to change this world class and complete attacking force??
Why dont we fix our defense, just why?? I ve been wondering about this for the last 3 years and there is no logical answer, do you have one?

Dec 31, 2008
this mercato is turning out to be awesome.....I hope Melo's transfer will be done ina few days, plus Grygera's trasnsfer implies a new RB. A new LB also.... and ill hail Secco

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I will also hail Secco+board if that becomes true!! No matter the results afterwards, i will consider their job completely successful!!
Their duty ends, when the season starts! If they provide us with the tools its up to the players and the coach then!

The rumors are awesome, but so far we have lost Nedved, Mellberg and Criscito
And got Diego and Canna. These are the facts!
Bringing Melo or Dago and Eboue or Andre would indeed make it awesome, but they are not here yet!
Dont get excited as we did when we were getting Alonso and we ended up with Poulsen. We might as well end up with Ledesma now and no fullbacks.

Dec 31, 2008
I will also hail Secco+board if that becomes true!! No matter the results afterwards, i will consider their job completely successful!!
Their duty ends, when the season starts! If they provide us with the tools its up to the players and the coach then!

The rumors are awesome, but so far we have lost Nedved, Mellberg and Criscito
And got Diego and Canna. These are the facts!
Bringing Melo or Dago and Eboue or Andre would indeed make it awesome, but they are not here yet!
Dont get excited as we did when we were getting Alonso and we ended up with Poulsen. We might as well end up with Ledesma now and no fullbacks.
yeah a bit over excited......But this time we don't have a coach who can think Alonso is too slow....there are reasons to get excited. Marchionni already trANSFERRED IS A GOOD SIGN

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
I honestly don't think we need Melo. If he came then I think he'd increase the quality of our squad, but he's not exactly the type of player we need. Plus he's got attitude problems. We need a regista. Someone like D'Agostino or Xabi Alonso (neither of which seem possible right now).

I think we should just focus on a RB and LB if we can't get a good regista. I know Ferrara wants a midfielder though so he can play the tactics he wants...but I don't think Melo is the right type of player.

Mar 30, 2006
The fact Ciro is not blind to players under performing is being seen already and I think that is great news for Juve. Top players know who has what it takes to play for top clubs and with Marco going and Grygera being linked with a transfer too as well as Poulsen it is obvious Ciro's strong personality and pedigree as a top player are going to have a big impact.

Mar 30, 2006
I honestly don't think we need Melo. If he came then I think he'd increase the quality of our squad, but he's not exactly the type of player we need. Plus he's got attitude problems. We need a regista. Someone like D'Agostino or Xabi Alonso (neither of which seem possible right now).

I think we should just focus on a RB and LB if we can't get a good regista. I know Ferrara wants a midfielder though so he can play the tactics he wants...but I don't think Melo is the right type of player.
I dont think he has attitude problems when it comes to training or anything.. he just has alot of fire on the field and is super competitive which results in cards sometime.. But I see his passion as a good thing.

Melo would bring alot to Juve.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What i was expecting them to do, is slowly, really slowly build a competitive team, adding a couple of competitive player-starters/season.
And take the maximum/optimal advantage of out limited funds (200mil or so)

I blame them strictly for their choices and strategical planning, not because of the results, i m pleased with the results, but very disappointed by the direction we are/were heading to.

To have chances beating Inter some time in the future and do better against the better teams in Europe. We need a competitive team in every line.
The situation in our defense is inexcusable.
We cant be a serious challenger with Grygera-Legro-Molinaro as starters.
We are going nowhere with those guys, they cant compete with the best players out there and they dont have the potential to improve enough and reach that level in the future. Investing our future on their feet is laughable.
Slowly building a competitive team is what we're doing at the moment though. Or wouldn't you say our team has improved since Serie B?
No more Gianichedda, Kovac (used to be good, crap in B), Tudor (mr injury), Bojinov, Balzaretti, Paro, Birindelli,... They have all been replaced by superiour players.

When i am saying the have failed, i dont mean failed titles, i mean that they have failed to improve the quality percentage of our starters and give us at least the chance to compete with the best in future. In football there are no guarantees,
no one can demands a title IMO, but the chances to get title!
We are very close to competing with the best. Last season should have taught you that.

When we came back from serie B, we had
Chiellini, Buffon, Camo, Nedved, DP, Treze and the somewhat used-to-be reliable CZ+Zebi and the very promising Marchisio, Criscito, DC and Giovinco, who already played well with us in seria B and showed the potential to become a part of our team in the five year plan.
Criscito played for Genoa in Serie B, he was a completely new player for us. Unproven and not ready as it turned out.
DC & Giovinco barely played for us in Serie B. I don't think either of them played 300 min over the entire course of the season.
Were they ready to play for us in Serie A? Maybe, maybe not. One thing is sure though, if we tried them and they failed, most people would have blasted the management for not getting proven players but insisting on youngsters.

Mar 14, 2004

Take a look at the higlights vs Juve game

He did more of that "regista" BS in one game that D'Ago did in 2 year highlights

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
The quality percentage of our starters has just been marginally upgraded, only because of Diego! (from 6/11 to 7/11) So, i dont think that we did many steps forward before that.
We are barely replacing the ones who retire, or turning decent players to subs. We are behind schedule, there is not enough time to field a full squad of competitive players in 2 years time at this rate. With the money we spent by now, we should!

We never really threatened Inter, they didnt even have to try, i still see a huge gap between us... We cant compete with the best, when they can exploit such an evident weakness (defense)

We could keep Crscito and co, as a sub though! My point was that we could keep them as sub, instead of adding all those mediocre players we did. And we should rather get less but better players. In this way, we would know, which youngsters would cut it and which wouldnt! And then invest even more efficiently, in order to upgrade the position that need strengthening the most!

Right now we have a huge question mark on Criscito's, DC's and even Giovinco's capabilities.
Mostly because they were never given the chance to prove themselves!
We should know by now, if we need to invest on others or not, investing on other when they are good enough, would be unwise, esp if that comes at the expense of other urgent/essential needs!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Why do a few people rate Eboue? The Arsenal fans rate Eboue as we rate Molinaro. He is shit!
Well, i'll be honest with you and say that most Arsenal fans don't rate him.

But i believe most of the criticism he gets is unfair. He's been played out of position for the last 2 years, he rarely complains yet he gets slack for not doing well. I think Wenger should be the one receiving the slack for constantly playing him out of position.

Now, as a fullback i believe that when his head is right, he's a very good fullback. But his main problems are in his attitude. He could be extremely lazy in tracking back and closing his opponents down sometimes.

I think he is completely Molinaro's opposite. While Molinaro can never be faulted for not trying hard enough, he can be faulted for his lack of talent and ability. Eboue has the talent, but he doesn't try hard enough sometimes.

I meant cash, although i really like and respect Arsenal, for promoting a dif type of football then the EPL pattern, i happen to despise. I dont believe they can easily get more silverware than us.
I dont know if Melo finds the EPL more prestigious, but other than that, its a gamble...

But from the reports and Fiorentina stands, it seems that Arsenal are willing to offer more cash, or more attractive players than we do. And Fiorentina would rather choose more cash+better players+not upgrading a direct competitive team. Rather than accepting our offer.

But that sounds pessimistic right?
Well at least it makes more sense than "have faith in a proven incompetent transfer manager"...

I don't know why you have the impression that we have a lot of cash to offer. Our board has always been reluctant to offer funds, and Arsene would have to sell quite a few players to raise 25M. We already spent 12M on Vermaelen, so that too makes me sceptical about the idea that we can offer more money.

More attractive players, we can offer. they want Eboue, and if Arsene is ready to give him up. I think then and only then would we stand a bigger chance of bagging the player.

Lucky Luke

Jul 23, 2007
"Now, as a fullback i believe that when his head is right, he's a very good fullback. But his main problems are in his attitude. He could be extremely lazy in tracking back and closing his opponents down sometimes."
JONATHAN ZEBINA :D

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I don't understand all this talk about Melo being unsuitable for this Juve. I see it as the exact opposite. Our only good destroyer in midfield is Sissoko. If he gets injured, our midfield experiences an enormous drop in quality and it's never healthy for any team to rely on one player to practically keep the team in balance as we have in the past with Momo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)