Federico Chiesa (48 Viewers)

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
This is an interesting take. Good post.

This was the rationale behind the Super League, right? That professional football needed to change if it was going to survive?

I say that it's long since dead, which is kinda what I got from your take. The bubble its in should have burst 15 years ago but somehow it's still growing. How do you think it'll play out int he next 10/20 years?
I think it will continue to thrive as entertainment, with increasing focus on following fewer teams and fewer leagues, and, paradoxically, it will make less and less sense to be fanatical about it. Just following the current pattern. I mean, actually numbers say the business is thriving and it isn't unsustainable (yet). But in the long run, I have to think interest will start to fade. Just a wild guess though..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

This was the rationale behind the Super League, right? That professional football needed to change if it was going to survive?

I say that it's long since dead, which is kinda what I got from your take. The bubble its in should have burst 15 years ago but somehow it's still growing. How do you think it'll play out int he next 10/20 years?
Interestingly enough, Scott Galloway actually makes a prediction in the opposite direction. That football will expand into the North American markets and will increasingly become a good long term business investment, not just a sport washing investment.

If he is right (he's often wrong) then its us older fans that will be left behind as the market shifts to younger and newer audiences and our ability to relate to the old brands' new style increasingly erodes. We are seeing this with JJ and our social media for example.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Interestingly enough, Scott Galloway actually makes a prediction in the opposite direction. That football will expand into the North American markets and will increasingly become a good long term business investment, not just a sport washing investment.

If he is right (he's often wrong) then its us older fans that will be left behind as the market shifts to younger and newer audiences and our ability to relate to the old brands' new style increasingly erodes. We are seeing this with JJ and our social media for example.
I googled him and he's the kind of guy ruining the sport.

"Scott Galloway is a professor of marketing at the New York University Stern School of Business, and a public speaker, author, podcast host, and entrepreneur"

Get fucked.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I googled him and he's the kind of guy ruining the sport.

"Scott Galloway is a professor of marketing at the New York University Stern School of Business, and a public speaker, author, podcast host, and entrepreneur"

Get fucked.
He is a thought leader mostly in the Tech industry.

Smart guy but he is in the business of making predictions all the time and so its not unexpected that he gets many things wrong. His most famous wrong prediction was against Tesla but he's also been right about a lot. Whats more interesting is his analysis, the trends he points to and his reasoning process rather than the actual prediction itself if that makes sense.

These are his 2022 predictions for example https://www.profgalloway.com/2022-predictions/

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I think it will continue to thrive as entertainment, with increasing focus on following fewer teams and fewer leagues, and, paradoxically, it will make less and less sense to be fanatical about it. Just following the current pattern. I mean, actually numbers say the business is thriving and it isn't unsustainable (yet). But in the long run, I have to think interest will start to fade. Just a wild guess though..
Do you think the EPL will surpass the Champions League? At present it's Real and Bayern and I guess PSG who are the only teams which legitimise it as the primary test for football clubs.

I don't know if I agree that football is currently thriving. All the clubs have liquidity, but are riddled with insurmountable and yet still-rising debts https://sqaf.club/football-club-debt-list/

- - - Updated - - -

He is a thought leader mostly in the Tech industry.

Smart guy but he is in the business of making predictions all the time and so its not unexpected that he gets many things wrong. His most famous wrong prediction was against Tesla but he's also been right about a lot. Whats more interesting is his analysis, the trends he points to and his reasoning process rather than the actual prediction itself if that makes sense.

These are his 2022 predictions for example https://www.profgalloway.com/2022-predictions/
I can see how this kind of thing is interesting for other people, but it's not really my thing. I get my predictions from astrology

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Do you think the EPL will surpass the Champions League? At present it's Real and Bayern and I guess PSG who are the only teams which legitimise it as the primary test for football clubs.

I don't know if I agree that football is currently thriving. All the clubs have liquidity, but are riddled with insurmountable and yet still-rising debts https://sqaf.club/football-club-debt-list/

- - - Updated - - -

I can see how this kind of thing is interesting for other people, but it's not really my thing. I get my predictions from astrology
I think EPL is on its way to surpass Champions League. Relevant teams out of the UK are dropping like flies. But about football in general, here in Brazil, for example, it's actually thriving - clubs are better organized, money is flowing, and salaries are absolutely crazy but they actually are simply following the trend of higher revenues for the clubs.

So I'd say the movement is paradoxical: while fanatically following a team is getting older and out of date, the number of casual viewers that consume football byproduct (don't actually watch games on TV, but go to games, related events, watch highlights, follow players) is increasing and making the business thrive.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009

Football will always be a niche sport in America. It’s the same thing as Australia.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Football will always be a niche sport in America. It’s the same thing as Australia.
What do you mean by niche sport? MLS will never be on on NFL,NBA,MLB level but it is growing pretty fast, are expanding the number of teams, and just set records for attendance. They're consistently packing huge stadiums and getting good viewership. They get more viewers than bundesliga and financially are a top 10 league in the world.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
What do you mean by niche sport? MLS will never be on on NFL,NBA,MLB level but it is growing pretty fast, are expanding the number of teams, and just set records for attendance. They're consistently packing huge stadiums and getting good viewership. They get more viewers than bundesliga and financially are a top 10 league in the world.
People will see one day, as the big get bigger and the small become totally irrelevant in Europe.

Oh, another season starting in Europe? I wonder what week we'll see Bayern, Manchester City, and PSG win their leagues. Which of the same 4 or so clubs will win the Champions League? We increasingly already know the results before it even begins, it's boring.

Meanwhile:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLS_Cup_finals
Only one club has won it more than once in the past 10 years. Never again will you see this in Europe.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
People will see one day, as the big get bigger and the small become totally irrelevant in Europe.

Oh, another season starting in Europe? I wonder what week we'll see Bayern, Manchester City, and PSG win their leagues. Which of the same 4 or so clubs will win the Champions League? We increasingly already know the results before it even begins, it's boring.

Meanwhile:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLS_Cup_finals
Only one club has won it more than once in the past 10 years. Never again will you see this in Europe.
superleague bad tho

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Out of everyone I know in my town, such as friends, neighbors, acquaintances, et cetera... only one single child of their own play or played American football. Just one. The rest of the kids play sawker, with a couple also playing ice hockey. I live in a relatively small suburban town, and even here we have people of different backgrounds, upbringings, whatever. The common theme is that the kids play sawker. Even had a couple American Dybala fans who went to train with San Lorenzo U-18's in Argentina the last couple years. Baseball? What the fuck is that shit? My cousin who's older than me has a son and he's obsessed with Chelsea, so now they go to matches in London a couple times a year. They couldn't give a shit about the Bears in their home town.

It's all sawker, muh dudes. It only takes investment and $$$ and MLS becomes better than redneck land Italia where kids are taught to chew garlic and defend like Bonucci.

- - - Updated - - -

If our "coach" doesn't want Chiesa, we would gladly take him on DC United.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Out of everyone I know in my town, such as friends, neighbors, acquaintances, et cetera... only one single child of their own play or played American football. Just one. The rest of the kids play sawker, with a couple also playing ice hockey. I live in a relatively small suburban town, and even here we have people of different backgrounds, upbringings, whatever. The common theme is that the kids play sawker. Even had a couple American Dybala fans who went to train with San Lorenzo U-18's in Argentina the last couple years. Baseball? What the fuck is that shit? My cousin who's older than me has a son and he's obsessed with Chelsea, so now they go to matches in London a couple times a year. They couldn't give a shit about the Bears in their home town.

It's all sawker, muh dudes. It only takes investment and $$$ and MLS becomes better than redneck land Italia where kids are taught to chew garlic and defend like Bonucci.

- - - Updated - - -

If our "coach" doesn't want Chiesa, we would gladly take him on DC United.
I will say though based on what I see around me, for now I think it's largely a sport for the well-off and immigrants right now. We desperately need to change that to get to the next level. Missing out on the 2014 World Cup hurt us bad but hopefully we manage to overcome Berhalter and do amazingly in 2026, that's our best hope imo.

A family friend's son played football, he just had back surgery due to 2 slipped discs and is done with pretty much all sports now because of it. He's 20. No one wants that for their child.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I will say though based on what I see around me, for now I think it's largely a sport for the well-off and immigrants right now. We desperately need to change that to get to the next level. Missing out on the 2014 World Cup hurt us bad but hopefully we manage to overcome Berhalter and do amazingly in 2026, that's our best hope imo.

A family friend's son played football, he just had back surgery due to 2 slipped discs and is done with pretty much all sports now because of it. He's 20. No one wants that for their child.
There's no reason why sawker shouldn't be a sport for everyone. I think we need more access for city kids to play the game, whether it be on a pitch or on a dilapidated basketball court or a closed off street. Sadly, I also think that it's a lot of the rednecks and uneducated that reject the sport for various reasons, and naturally they're poor people.

RKid1

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah, MLS is a very healthy product. The local support & attendance is very strong, but it's not something that attracts casual fans that dont live in an MLS market. It will continue to grow and be a good league, but it'll never catch Europe in terms of popularity or financially, at least any time soon. I cant predict what the football world will look like 25-50 years from now.

Now, If you told me in 10-20 years it's more popular and competing financially with the NHL, that wouldnt surprise me.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
There's no reason why sawker shouldn't be a sport for everyone. I think we need more access for city kids to play the game, whether it be on a pitch or on a dilapidated basketball court or a closed off street. Sadly, I also think that it's a lot of the rednecks and uneducated that reject the sport for various reasons, and naturally they're poor people.
100%, it's usually tough to find a pitch. This was the only good thing that De Blasio was involved in:
https://www.nycfc.com/news/new-york...ns-50th-mini-soccer-pitch-with-special-ribbon

We'll never win them over. Can thank people like that waif fuck Neymar for that.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

No, the rationale behind the Super League was making sure the big teams were guaranteed even more money than they get today.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Which is weird, because it's one of the cheapest sports you could possibly play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 31)

• Stevie
  • reneu