Favourite sports (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
And Ireland to an extent - to distinguish it from Gaelic football.
oh really? Didn't know that. A lot of the time in high school, our playground soccer matches would turn into Gaelic football. A lot of fun that was :touched:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by rae ACM ] ++
well but it is a insultion of all Europeans to call football - ''succker''
It's also offensive to Americans to call them - "fukin americans"

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
don't you guys think it's weird to call football soccer though ? football makes much more sense you can even break it down to "foot" and "ball" ..... can't break soccer down , and what people call football in america hardly involves feet - only for running lol
i'm not into sports but when i moved down here i couldn't get used to the " football" word

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by MiaWallace ] ++
..... can't break soccer down , and what people call football in america hardly involves feet...
"Soccer" is an old English schoolboy slang word from "Association football".
"Rugger", which is sometimes still used for "Rugby Football", is the same style of slang.
American football is derived from Rugby.
Rubgy and football have a common root going back about 200 years, if even that long.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Really. I'm not sure if the ban on British military personel is gone yet. It was in force in the North at least until recently.
:(
To clear that up protestants do not play gaelic at all in the North. Although there is no formal rule, the GAA would never allow a protestant to play. It simply isnt a possibilty.

As I sing when some of the Landsdown crowd boo Rangers players: "racist bigots"
Thats not very fair. Celtic fans are just as racist etc as Rangers fans. In fact you shouldnt support Celtic (Or Rangers). 50% of Rangers/Celtic fans support the clubs for sectarianism over anything else.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Mac ] ++
To clear that up protestants do not play gaelic at all in the North. Although there is no formal rule, the GAA would never allow a protestant to play. It simply isnt a possibilty.

Thats not very fair. Celtic fans are just as racist etc as Rangers fans. In fact you shouldnt support Celtic (Or Rangers). 50% of Rangers/Celtic fans support the clubs for sectarianism over anything else.
I think you've misinterpreted me twice here.

1. "Police and military personel in Northern Ireland" and "protestants" aren't the same thing.
    The former is what the GAA had banned, not the latter. Protestants play the game in the Republic, though I'd not be surprised if it's not the case in the North.
  2. I'm not a Celtic fan
    We (i.e. the thinking fan) sing "racist bigots" at the Celtic-supporting morons who decide that it's okay to boo Rangers players even though they're supposed to be supporting Ireland. Real Irish fans don't want that, we don't care about Celtic, and we certainly don't care about a Scottish club rivalry.
    [/list=1]

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Vicky ] ++
don't you guys think it's weird to call football soccer though ? football makes much more sense you can even break it down to "foot" and "ball" ..... can't break soccer down , and what people call football in america hardly involves feet - only for running lol
i'm not into sports but when i moved down here i couldn't get used to the " football" word
dont tell me, I live in North America

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't know why Brits get so upset when Aussies and Americans use the word soccer, since the term was coined in Britain anyway :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)