Favorite Italian music? (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
While long a fan of a good Puccini opera, a Mina showtune cover, a Paolo Conte shuffle, an obscure Silvana Mangano musical number, or even a Dean Martin crooner tune, there are a few rock contemporaries from La Penisola I've gotten into of late:

Zucchero - He's been around for ages, and I haven't liked a lot of his older stuff, but I actually like some of the interesting English-language-oriented collaborations he's picked up lately -- John Lee Hooker (RIP), Maná (though that's certainly more Spanish), etc.

Negrita - I've been listening to their latest, L' Uomo Sogna Di Volare a lot lately. These guys can lay down some thoughtful, playful tunes, but these guys can really rock out too.

Ligabue - He (they) seems pretty huge in Italian rock these days. I see sold out concerts of his in the news on RAI a lot. A bit sentimental (though good at it) and overearnest at times, but entertaining.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
I heard a great tune in Italy 4 years ago Under the Moonlight (yes, the title was English)

I've been looking for it ever since---with no luck:down:

Any music but Rap, BTW. :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Negrita rules indeed, Greg. Their best song EVER imo is "Rotolando versu Sud"

I also listen to Zero Assoluto, Tiromancino, Luca Dirisio, Paolo Meneguzzi and Tiziano Ferro. Cheesy line-up, I know :D

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Tifoso Lou ] ++
    I heard a great tune in Italy 4 years ago Under the Moonlight (yes, the title was English)

I've been looking for it ever since---with no luck:down:

Any music but Rap, BTW. :)
    Weird. Zucchero does a great collaboration with Mexico's Maná called "Baila Morena", where the chorus has the English phrase "Under the Moonlight". But that came out only recently.

To check for sure, here's an unintended plug for something where I work that can help ;)

http://music.download.com/zucchero

Third song down on the page.

EDIT: I take that back. Apparently that first came out in 2002 on his Shake album. So this could be it.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Negrita rules indeed, Greg. Their best song EVER imo is "Rotolando versu Sud"
    That is a great song... and an example of one of their mellower, more playful ones.

I also listen to Zero Assoluto, Tiromancino, Luca Dirisio, Paolo Meneguzzi and Tiziano Ferro. Cheesy line-up, I know :D
    I might have to check some of those out. You always have to expect some level of cheesiness with Italian pop/rock (e.g., Eros Ramazzotti, Italy's answer to Jerry Lewis but with a better voice ;) ).

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    I might have to check some of those out. You always have to expect some level of cheesiness with Italian pop/rock (e.g., Eros Ramazzotti, Italy's answer to Jerry Lewis but with a better voice ;) ).
    You don't know them? Shame on you!

And I despise Eros btw. Nek too, to a lesser extent

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Although he's not really Italian, I enjoy Josh Groban's Italian tracks like: Per Te, Mi Mancherai, Oceano, and Un Amore Per Sempre. :)

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

You don't know them? Shame on you!

And I despise Eros btw. Nek too, to a lesser extent
    And now we play the game:

Eros Ramozzati or Jerry Lewis!!

Jerry, or Eros?

Jerry, or Eros?

Jerry, or Eros?

Jerry, or Eros?

All I can say is, "La la la, nice laaady!"

..or is that, "La la la, simpatica signora!"? :confused:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Weird. Zucchero does a great collaboration with Mexico's Maná called "Baila Morena", where the chorus has the English phrase "Under the Moonlight". But that came out only recently.

To check for sure, here's an unintended plug for something where I work that can help ;)

http://music.download.com/zucchero

Third song down on the page.

EDIT: I take that back. Apparently that first came out in 2002 on his Shake album. So this could be it.
    Whoa I didnt know Zucchero had made Baila Morena with Mana. I love Mana and Baila Morena is a great song

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
    Negrita are good. My favourite songs by them are "Magnolia" and "Ho imparato a sognare", but "Rotolando verso sud" brings up good memories too :)

Uhm, if I had to make a list of my favourite italian songs it would be too long ;), so I'll stick to the ones that I've listened the most to in the last few months:
    - Francesco Renga (Raccontami, Segreti, Un'ora in più). I love his voice.
    - Ligabue (Il giorno dei giorni). Balla. Femmina come la terra, femmina come la guerra, femmina come la pace... nice, nice :)
    - Vasco Rossi (Senza Parole). I generally despise him (under every aspect), but I love the chorus of this song (the rest is not that great) e ho guardato dentro a un'emozione e c'ho visto dentro tanto amore che ho capito perchè non si comanda al cuore. E va bene così, senza parole :touched:. I'd buy the Fiat Punto only because they are using this song for the commercial :D
    - Zero Assoluto (Semplicemente)
    - Irene Grandi (Lasciala andare)
    - Tiromancino (La descrizione di un attimo, Imparare dal vento)
    - Gianluca Grignani (Adesso tu, Bambina dallo spazio)
    - Luca Dirisio (Usami)
    - Subsonica (Abitudine)
    - Francesco De Gregori (La donna cannone, La leva calcistica della classe '68). Yeah, they are both more than 30 old, but I love them. And since we are in a football forum, you have to have the second! And the same goes for Ligabue - Una vita da mediano.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by isha00 ] ++
    - Zero Assoluto (Semplicemente)
    - Irene Grandi (Lasciala andare)
    - Tiromancino (La descrizione di un attimo, Imparare dal vento)
    - Gianluca Grignani (Adesso tu, Bambina dallo spazio)
    - Luca Dirisio (Usami)
    - Subsonica (Abitudine)
    - Francesco De Gregori (La donna cannone, La leva calcistica della classe '68).
    All of those are class :thumb:

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    So, my contribution to this thread..:rolleyes:

Bulldozer (italian version of Venom)
    Ephel Duath (unique mix of black metal and jazz, latest album, Painter's Palette, is a masterpiece)
    Necrodeath (Slayer of Italy, at least was one time but they've done experiments around black / death / thrash metal and don't have really consistent career IMHO)
    Sadist (death metal, love Above the Light album with it's early 90's mix of keyboards and dm but don't really know about this band)

and oh yes -

it seems that I'm the biggest fan of Statuto among the last.fm users:confused:
    anyways, good ska from Torino although they are granata fans....

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    This is interesting.

Swag, can you advise on some good Italian opera? And means to locate it?
    Err, ummm. I definitely do not profess to be a huge fan. But my interest in it has definitely grown in the past few years. Italian opera is such a broad thing that I'm not sure if there's a good place to start other than the standbys: La Traviata, La Boheme, The Barber Of Seville, The Marriage of Figaro, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, Il Trovatore, etc. Verdi, Puccini, and Mozart have all written classics. Maria Callas is also a key performer.

Now you've tapped out about most of what I know to date. ;)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    Maria Callas, her casta diva sends chills down my spine every time i hear it. just to add on that rich list donizetti's Lucia di Lammamoor and l'elisir d'amore, Bellini's i capuleti e i montecchi and il pirata and of course Norma... a good source online is operadio.com ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)