Fabio Grosso DONE DEAL (51 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Short term fix or not, if this deal goes through, I will be content enough to tick off one of our Summer Tasks. I am fed up with writing about the appalling lack of technique of the player who has been our first choice at left back for the whole of last season. Grosso, at 31, is a massive improvement, in every area of the defensive game. In particular he offers competence as an offensive fullback, which will be ultra important this season as we ditch the wingers and focus most of our energies through the middle of the field. Leaving space on the flanks for both our opponents and ourselves, to expose, attack and defend. That job will full mainly to the fullbacks.

Grosso for a year, or two, for a couple of million nuggets is decent business. And hopefully, Ciro and Secco will be able to turn their combined attentions to the right back position and also, perhaps, to adding some youthful talent and exuberance to the centre of defence, as understudies Chiellini and Cannavarro.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
We can get him for 2 Mil, the same amount we got for Melberg :shifty:

If you look at it that way, it makes sense too. Mellberg is gone, we got Cannavaro for free for his spot. Using the money from Mellberg to get a LB we so desperately need, since Criscito is far from coming back. Sure he's not the youngest or best LB out there, but for that price he's surely one of the best short term fixes.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It might appear to be good business now, but we won't be able to sell Cannavaro for any amount and we don't know how good he'll be for us. Grosso wasn't more than average for Inter and if Criscito turns out to be better than him this season, I'm going to be angry. I wasn't a big fan of Mellberg but at least he had some years left in him.

Should have looked at a longer-term partner for Chiellini this summer.

Mar 30, 2006
It might appear to be good business now, but we won't be able to sell Cannavaro for any amount and we don't know how good he'll be for us. Grosso wasn't more than average for Inter and if Criscito turns out to be better than him this season, I'm going to be angry. I wasn't a big fan of Mellberg but at least he had some years left in him.

Should have looked at a longer-term partner for Chiellini this summer.
I would imagine Ariaudo is thought to be the "long term partner" with Cannavaro and Leggro the "Stop Gap" partners.If Ariaudo does not become wht we all hope he will become then I assume we will transfer in someone who will.. but as of now I think thats the plan.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
If they claim Camo, i fear that 2mil wont be enough...
O really doubt thst we will get him for Mellberg's price
and i dont want to lose Criscito's half for him.
We are going to need it, to get him back!

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
OK, so we get Grosso for a year as a quick fix. Then what? Next year we will be in the same boat again as Grosso will be older. We lose DC and Criscito anyways, so we are left looking for a great LB that we can't find because they are in such short supply. I don't see that changing next year, especially as we will strongly look at buying a great wingback.

What I don't understand is why we just don't bite the bullet and spend heavily this year so we won't have to wait another season. We are going to have to spend extraordinarily heavily on our defense next year in 3 positions whereas it could have been avoided had we had not lost DC and Criscito. But now, we risk losing both so next year we will need massive funds to renovate our defense and probably a new young striker.

Mar 14, 2004
I don't care bout Cristico,he's history to both me and club. Loosing DC on other hand would be a blow. Let's face it,Grosso,in any kind of form is miles ahead of all available right now(except A.Santos),and he will be a starter in next 2 years,and hopefully he'll teach DC someting,after all,he is a WC winner with wealth of CL experience with a couple tricks in his sleeve,primary focusing what to not do as a leftback :D I have a hunch it could work for both Grosso and DC.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)