F1 2024 Season (2 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Not sure where to put this, since I can't find a recent, open Formula 1 thread.

30 years ago today, we lost the greatest driver of our generation, and according to many, including some of the greatest in the last 20 years, the greatest driver of all time.

Gone way too soon at the age of 34 on that fateful day at Imola.

I still watch all of his races on YouTube to this day.

Obrigado Ayrton. Obrigado.

AlexDP705

Jul 10, 2018
According to gazzetta he met with Vasseur in London. Imagine someone telling you a year ago that in 2026 we could be seeing Hamilton driving a Newey designed Ferrari.

He might also just retire of course, but given he's gotten out of his contract without the 12-month non-compete clause it seems he's not ready to stop just yet.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I was reading this story the other day: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c1ejpl7k2lqo

The drivers were expendable, didn't matter the team or personnel. Modern drivers have a lot to thank this guy for.
And it only took the death of arguably the greatest driver ever, in a car that he helped build.

And of all drivers deemed expendable, he was far and away the least expendable by a significant margin.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah. I believe there has only been 1 death since then in Formila 1.

But again.

It took HIS DEATH for the FIA to finally do something about it.

So no, he was not expendable. At all.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't disagree from a human and influence perspective at all. My post was the disregard that F1 showed, it was a given at the time that it was risky and people got hurt or killed. They were risk-takers and rock stars of their day. It took the death of someone really high profile for change to come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)