Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think Joao Felix should start, he’s too good to bench. But yeah, they have a great team
Late in the qualifiers Portugal fielded squad lineups I almost never experienced before: ones without reason to criticize the inadequacy of one or more players at any position.

All of which means they are destined to be humiliated of course. ;)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah, four right backs selected. And Southgate continues the England manager tradition of taking injured players to a tournament.

May 23, 2013
Another France-Portugal final would not a bad bet at all. They are undoubtedly the two strongest sides on paper. Italy are my choice outside those two obvious candidates. Mancini is a good manager and the younger Italian players have grown since the embarrassing 2018 World Cup qualifiers debacle.

Jun 6, 2015
Another France-Portugal final would not a bad bet at all. They are undoubtedly the two strongest sides on paper. Italy are my choice outside those two obvious candidates. Mancini is a good manager and the younger Italian players have grown since the embarrassing 2018 World Cup qualifiers debacle.
Portugal looks a good team on paper but average on the pitch. Then again they were average five years ago as well and somehow won it. I wouldn't include them as one of the favourites though. Belgium and Italy for example are both superior teams.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Portugal looks a good team on paper but average on the pitch. Then again they were average five years ago as well and somehow won it. I wouldn't include them as one of the favourites though. Belgium and Italy for example are both superior teams.
Portugal is superior to them. There’s nothing In Belgium that supports them getting anything done with the ageing core, especially in defense. Italy is more of a dark horse then. Portugal is reigning champion and they’re team to beat this year for sure. Not just on paper, but they haven’t lost many games last 5 years.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I think Italy can make it to the semi-finals for sure. The problem is they will most likely come up against France. And other than the WC win on pens, they have a pretty poor overall record against the frogs and I just can’t see anyone getting the better of them this tournament.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
France, Portugal or Italy look like the most solid teams.
Agree with this.

France have the superstars and the coach with a great know-how tactically. Portugal and Italy are just solid and packed with quality in all areas of the field.

England will get knocked out the moment they face someone half-decent in the KO rounds. Most likely by Germany or Portugal.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nope. They definitely are weaker all over than they were in 2016 and 2018 and De Bruyne won’t be 100% for it either. They are good for sure, but I don’t see them winning it.
We are a lot weaker than we were in 2018. Hazard has been the driving force of our NT and we're not the same anymore.

To be fair though no one comes even close to France.

Griezmann-Mbappe-Benzema? With Pogba and Kante behind them? It's just ridiculous. Arguably the best side I've ever seen.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I think Italy can make it to the semi-finals for sure. The problem is they will most likely come up against France. And other than the WC win on pens, they have a pretty poor overall record against the frogs and I just can’t see anyone getting the better of them this tournament.
Everyone is sleeping on Italy, only makes me think they’ll go farther, arguably could win it

Jun 6, 2015
Portugal is superior to them. There’s nothing In Belgium that supports them getting anything done with the ageing core, especially in defense. Italy is more of a dark horse then. Portugal is reigning champion and they’re team to beat this year for sure. Not just on paper, but they haven’t lost many games last 5 years.
We'll see but I haven't been impressed by Portugal when I've watched them. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they fail to qualify from their group. Their luck is that Germany seems pretty average as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Denmark are the real dark horse of this tournament for me. Can't call Italy one because I think they're one of the clear favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)