Euro 2016 General Discussion Thread (9 Viewers)

Euro 2016 Outright Winner?

• France

• Spain

• Germany

• England

• Belgium

• Portugal

• Italy

• Croatia

• Austria

• Poland

• Switzerland

• Russia

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Wales

• Sweden

• Ireland

• Iceland

• Czech Republic

• Romania

• Slovakia

• Northern Ireland

• Albania

• Hungary

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4,446
    Is anybody else annoyed IRL by the crazy amount of casual (big tournament) watchers who won't shut up about football these days? I can't get the topic changed before a clown joins the talk and proudly proclaims 'France, huh? always had them as favourites' Skip to 2 weeks ago when after France-Romania said clown was like 'They are supposed to win Euros? Never' I had an italian guy who was genuinely upset about not fielding the best team vs Ireland. Before he gave birth to the fantastic expert prediction 'we are gonna get destroyed by germany like always'. More goals = better match, late goal = luck, strikers are the most important position, pep the best coach in history, spain was the most entertaining team to watch ever, pep coached spain, One good match = team will go far, one bad match = overrated team, many chances = deserved win, every player is only as good as he is going forward, the head referee makes offside calls, there shouldn't be penalties but a judge should decide based on performance. I asked a supposedly knowledgeable colleague what he thought about Copa America final - 'Is this where they throw the ball?'
    I dunno. Here in the US there's an awareness, but nobody is talking sheeet. And we hosted the Copa America and that barely registered.

I guess it could be worse and they be all like Salah Abdeslam and into reality TV 24x7.

Just look at this forum.
    I should be kinda flattered that you consider me to be the equivalent of about 11 posters.

And ironically it would be the first match Fernando Santos would lose as Portugal NT coach.

I like this one too much.
    :lol:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    kXCALwS.png

Brought to you by @Völler incorporated, in association with @piotrr pharmaceuticals and @Klin potato wholefoods

Other products considered for your esteemed ad space service were:

nHRBBf4.png

FdcyCNh.png

udTggkL.png

@Tommy @Zacheryah @Fred @Bianconero_Aus @Iceman @Fr3sh @Mohad @king Ale
    :lol: :tup:

also :tup: to Seven for beeing a good sport

- - - Updated - - -

Is anybody else annoyed IRL by the crazy amount of casual (big tournament) watchers who won't shut up about football these days? I can't get the topic changed before a clown joins the talk and proudly proclaims 'France, huh? always had them as favourites' Skip to 2 weeks ago when after France-Romania said clown was like 'They are supposed to win Euros? Never' I had an italian guy who was genuinely upset about not fielding the best team vs Ireland. Before he gave birth to the fantastic expert prediction 'we are gonna get destroyed by germany like always'. More goals = better match, late goal = luck, strikers are the most important position, pep the best coach in history, spain was the most entertaining team to watch ever, pep coached spain, One good match = team will go far, one bad match = overrated team, many chances = deserved win, every player is only as good as he is going forward, the head referee makes offside calls, there shouldn't be penalties but a judge should decide based on performance. I asked a supposedly knowledgeable colleague what he thought about Copa America final - 'Is this where they throw the ball?'
    Social media are a plague at the moment

For example, females going like we should shut up cause wilmots did well

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    :lol: :tup:

also :tup: to Seven for beeing a good sport

- - - Updated - - -

Social media are a plague at the moment

For example, females going like we should shut up cause wilmots did well
    Of course. Come the 2018 WC we'll repeat the bet.

Hopefully by then Belgium will have a great coach. Btw Wilmots should carry a lot of the blame, but so should the players. You can't give Hazard the ball and then decide to let him to do everything. Offensively our movement off the ball was awful. Part of that is coaching, but a big part is also the willingness to try and shake things up.

As for Wilmots.. Well, I think any coach should do some form of tactical training. Doing none whatsoever seems like suicide. If guys like Nainggolan (with an Italian background) and Courtois (coached by Simeone and Mourinho) complain during the tournament, you should take their complaints into consideration.

Also, one final thing, I understand that the original idea was to bench KDB v Ireland. Despite us winning that game, I can't help but feel that we would have done better with him on the bench. Maybe he was tired, maybe he wasn't feeling well, I don't know. But he wasn't his usual self and I think Wilmots should have protected him by benching him (even if that meant subjecting himself to a lot of criticism).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Not really. Coman will never have any end product, Martial will. If he does what Ronaldo did at Utd (work on his finishing day and night) he could be a great striker. He has that directness to his game, is fast and strong.

Coman is fast and fun to watch, but rarely produces.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Of course. Come the 2018 WC we'll repeat the bet.

Hopefully by then Belgium will have a great coach. Btw Wilmots should carry a lot of the blame, but so should the players. You can't give Hazard the ball and then decide to let him to do everything. Offensively our movement off the ball was awful. Part of that is coaching, but a big part is also the willingness to try and shake things up.

As for Wilmots.. Well, I think any coach should do some form of tactical training. Doing none whatsoever seems like suicide. If guys like Nainggolan (with an Italian background) and Courtois (coached by Simeone and Mourinho) complain during the tournament, you should take their complaints into consideration.

Also, one final thing, I understand that the original idea was to bench KDB v Ireland. Despite us winning that game, I can't help but feel that we would have done better with him on the bench. Maybe he was tired, maybe he wasn't feeling well, I don't know. But he wasn't his usual self and I think Wilmots should have protected him by benching him (even if that meant subjecting himself to a lot of criticism).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
    I read an interesting article today, analysing the past two years.

After WC2014 it was widely believed to succeed Wilmots needed good tacticians in his staff that arent yes nodders, but express their opinion.
    However, there has been a large movement of staff evensince. He only wants yes nodders, and anyone who opposes his apparently big ego, can sod off.

There was one improvement i saw, and then he botched it.

We dont have a central playmaker. So the wingers come inside and try to pull some stuff without a system to fall back on. Which is lovely to defend against. (we still havent beaten a top10 team).

Then we did what happened at City. We played De Bruyne centrally. Which was doing pretty good. Example the start vs Wales. With De Bruyne beeing the reference point, ball retention and distribution, the wingers can now focus on moving into space and make combinations.

Suddenly we started to play rather good vs wales.

Then he botched it. We had a shitty defence. FIne, so did Bayern for a while this season, but they press the opponent away from their goal, relieving the stress of their defenders. He also made the fuckup of playing a young fullback in the center, who doesnt have the positional awareness which comes with age (should have played ciman if he planned on sitting back).

if he kept that high pressing we played up, all we'd have to worry was counters. But that would be alrigth, because the advantage of young fullbacks playing centreback, is their great speed and duelling at pace, which is good on counters.

We didnt, we sat back. And again, we had absolutely no movement of players closing passing lanes (why the shit is radja so lazy for the NT ? And how bad is witsel lol). Conte would have raped them 71 new assholes if they were lazy like that.

We needed to press forward again. because that worked well.

Nope. LOLmots decided to take off a winger, put on fellaini who cannot distribute balls at all, and moved de bruyne wide. Which offcourse was not going to work. Also Wales is rather good at heading so not sure what the idea with Fellaini was.

He couldnt have showed better how much of an idiot he really is.

Thing is. If we fire wilmots, we pay 1mil. If he goes he'll pay 1 mil. Our incompetent fat FA has a 3.5 mil deficit cause they are incompetent retards, so that 1mil is quite a big issue.

If we manage this. Who is the new coach ?

Van Gaal is mentionned. Is he past it ? He failed in EPL and we only got EPL intelligence players.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4,452
    Not really. Coman will never have any end product, Martial will. If he does what Ronaldo did at Utd (work on his finishing day and night) he could be a great striker. He has that directness to his game, is fast and strong.

Coman is fast and fun to watch, but rarely produces.
    Agreed.

I read an interesting article today, analysing the past two years.

After WC2014 it was widely believed to succeed Wilmots needed good tacticians in his staff that arent yes nodders, but express their opinion.
    However, there has been a large movement of staff evensince. He only wants yes nodders, and anyone who opposes his apparently big ego, can sod off.

There was one improvement i saw, and then he botched it.

We dont have a central playmaker. So the wingers come inside and try to pull some stuff without a system to fall back on. Which is lovely to defend against. (we still havent beaten a top10 team).

Then we did what happened at City. We played De Bruyne centrally. Which was doing pretty good. Example the start vs Wales. With De Bruyne beeing the reference point, ball retention and distribution, the wingers can now focus on moving into space and make combinations.

Suddenly we started to play rather good vs wales.

Then he botched it. We had a shitty defence. FIne, so did Bayern for a while this season, but they press the opponent away from their goal, relieving the stress of their defenders. He also made the fuckup of playing a young fullback in the center, who doesnt have the positional awareness which comes with age (should have played ciman if he planned on sitting back).

if he kept that high pressing we played up, all we'd have to worry was counters. But that would be alrigth, because the advantage of young fullbacks playing centreback, is their great speed and duelling at pace, which is good on counters.

We didnt, we sat back. And again, we had absolutely no movement of players closing passing lanes (why the shit is radja so lazy for the NT ? And how bad is witsel lol). Conte would have raped them 71 new assholes if they were lazy like that.

We needed to press forward again. because that worked well.

Nope. LOLmots decided to take off a winger, put on fellaini who cannot distribute balls at all, and moved de bruyne wide. Which offcourse was not going to work. Also Wales is rather good at heading so not sure what the idea with Fellaini was.

He couldnt have showed better how much of an idiot he really is.

Thing is. If we fire wilmots, we pay 1mil. If he goes he'll pay 1 mil. Our incompetent fat FA has a 3.5 mil deficit cause they are incompetent retards, so that 1mil is quite a big issue.

If we manage this. Who is the new coach ?

Van Gaal is mentionned. Is he past it ? He failed in EPL and we only got EPL intelligence players.
    Well that was a bit of keyboard vomit.

Let me just say as an outsider: Belgium has crap defenders masquerading as quality. Build from the back like an Italy and you'll get the midfield and winger engine working properly in balance. Giving up three goals to Wales in a QF is inexcusable.

Alderweird, Vermin, and KKKompany just don't cut it in European elimination play. Get some of those younguns out to pathetic Italy to learn some skillz to take home.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Agreed.

Let me just say as an outsider: Belgium has crap defenders masquerading as quality. Build from the back like an Italy and you'll get the midfield and winger engine working properly in balance. Giving up three goals to Wales in a QF is inexcusable.

Alderweird, Vermin, and KKKompany just don't cut it in European elimination play. Get some of those younguns out to pathetic Italy to learn some skillz to take home.
    We did just fine with Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Vermaelen and Meunier. No goals v Ireland, Sweden and Hungary. If we have to replace Vertonghen and Vermaelen with Denayer and Lukaku, we're always going to be fucked. But if we can play our starters that is good enough. The issue is that we don't attack like a team and don't defend like a team. R. Lukaku for example doesn't pressure the opposition defense at all.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013

Kompany when fit is one of the top defenders in the world.

And even average defenders can form a really really good defensive unit with the right setup and coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)