Euro 2016 General Discussion Thread (58 Viewers)

Euro 2016 Outright Winner?

• France

• Spain

• Germany

• England

• Belgium

• Portugal

• Italy

• Croatia

• Austria

• Poland

• Switzerland

• Russia

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Wales

• Sweden

• Ireland

• Iceland

• Czech Republic

• Romania

• Slovakia

• Northern Ireland

• Albania

• Hungary

Results are only viewable after voting.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Why are the German oldies so sure they will bear Italy?
because they get overconfident by consistently getting shitty qualification groups the last 20 years. most of thosse frigging "top scorers" that have many international goals are only that big because germany trash minnows like moldavia 8:1 or something. it is incredible how often germany seemingly gets total cannon fodder for qualifying groups

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You are not even remotely close to that level, not even talent wise. I really fail to see where this hype came from, I don't care about that ridiculous FIFA ranking but even people were so excited about Belgium. The 2000 Portugal was faaaaaaaaaaaaar more talented than this Belgium and I don't remember a similar hype around them. You are not even there. Same with 1998 Croatia. It's a shame though because you have a decent and yes, talented team but I really think you'd have done much better if you hadn't been overrated this much. Lacking experience or winning mentality wasn't your problem, you lost to freaking Wales. Your problem was too much unwarranted hype and pressure.
Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois and Carrasco are four players who are, without a shadow of a doubt world class. In defense we had Vermaelen (injured a lot but when fit very good) and Vertonghen-Alderweireld who have performed great for Tottenham.

The hype makes an awful lot of sense for people who actually watch football. As individuals, we have more talent than you think.

Portugal was really only Rui Costa and Figo.

Give Allegri or Conte our team and we'd win everything four years straight.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois and Carrasco are four players who are, without a shadow of a doubt world class.
the term "worldclass" is not really defined so they might fit your definition, but for me they wouldn't.

back in the day people like zidane, ronaldo (the brazilian one), roberto carlos were called world class and by that meaning that if you picked up the best team in the world those guys get into the first 11. I do not see any of the belgian players right now fit that description. None of them are the best in their position. If you define "world class" being the best of their nation then even some armenian scrub players could fit that tag, so that is not a good definition either. If you define it as "being competitive on a global level like champions league" then again you are just watering the terms and making basically many players of league 3rd placed teams of england instantly world class because they get to play champions league.

of course it is up to you to define what is world class to you, but for the more conservative non-teen audience belgium does not have a real world-class player.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Whatever dude. If you want to ignore Hazard's obvious talent you will always find a way to do so I guess. Player of the year in France, player of the year in England, wanted by Real Madrid.. But I guess, if you want to, you can say he's no good. There's no point in debating though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Whatever dude. If you want to ignore Hazard's obvious talent you will always find a way to do so I guess. Player of the year in France, player of the year in England, wanted by Real Madrid.. But I guess, if you want to, you can say he's no good. There's no point in debating though.

what has talent to do with it ? is balotelli or cassano world class ?
it is what you make out of it.The fact that from naming 4 players who are allegedly without a shadow of a doubt world class you are suddenly down to one player says it all really.

i give you that hazard is as close to being called world class as a belgian player would get. For me hazard seems just like another david silva. Someone who would be a "star" in his countries team but not the best on his position. he has good numbers in the premier league but world class is not how many goals you score against the moldavias or relegation candidates of the world, but how you are able to perform on a high level when not everything is not on your side.

hiding away when the going gets tough is not what makes you world class. i grant that hazard may become a world class player, but for me he is not yet there (only from the numbers i got and from what i have seen in the euros).

do not get me wrong. i am not trying to pick a fight here, our evaluation of a few players just differ. if i would call the aforementioned 4 belgium players world class then draxler would be world class as well and götze to but sorry, both did not ever do shit to help their team. Shooting the 3:0 or 4:0 is not the same like getting your team to win if it would lose if somebody else was in your place.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
what has talent to do with it ? is balotelli or cassano world class ?
it is what you make out of it.The fact that from naming 4 players who are allegedly without a shadow of a doubt world class you are suddenly down to one player says it all really.

i give you that hazard is as close to being called world class as a belgian player would get. For me hazard seems just like another david silva. Someone who would be a "star" in his countries team but not the best on his position. he has good numbers in the premier league but world class is not how many goals you score against the moldavias or relegation candidates of the world, but how you are able to perform on a high level when not everything is not on your side.

hiding away when the going gets tough is not what makes you world class. i grant that hazard may become a world class player, but for me he is not yet there (only from the numbers i got and from what i have seen in the euros).

do not get me wrong. i am not trying to pick a fight here, our evaluation of a few players just differ. if i would call the aforementioned 4 belgium players world class then draxler would be world class as well and götze to but sorry, both did not ever do shit to help their team. Shooting the 3:0 or 4:0 is not the same like getting your team to win if it would lose if somebody else was in your place.
:tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You're ignoring the fact that he has been elected a league's best player in vastly different competitions and actually managed to win Ligue 1 with friggin' Lille. The reason I picked Hazard from those 4 is that there is little debate. Name me a better left winger.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Dude, I swear.. You guys don't even know the player's career.
I'm not gonna debate you whether he's world class or not. That's just silly talk.

There's no denying that Hazard is a talented player, but talent alone isn't enough. Whenever I watch him in a game that matters against a good opponent, he's nowhere to be seen.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You're ignoring the fact that he has been elected a league's best player in vastly different competitions and actually managed to win Ligue 1 with friggin' Lille. The reason I picked Hazard from those 4 is that there is little debate. Name me a better left winger.

At the time Lille was actually quite great and much better than others. PSG was non existant while Lyon and Marseille were decent at best. Lille's game was way too dominant compared to others. Hazard was indeed great there. He\s a very useful and can be great. But he's not a world class player. I doubt he'll reach that level.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not gonna debate you whether he's world class or not. That's just silly talk.

There's no denying that Hazard is a talented player, but talent alone isn't enough. Whenever I watch him in a game that matters against a good opponent, he's nowhere to be seen.
I've seen him play great games against quality teams for Chelsea and Lille. With Belgium we leave him hanging. Our tactics are a disgrace. We give Hazard the ball, then don't move at all or even run in front of him. It's ridiculous.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
At the time Lille was actually quite great and much better than others. PSG was non existant while Lyon and Marseille were decent at best. Lille's game was way too dominant compared to others. Hazard was indeed great there. He\s a very useful and can be great. But he's not a world class player. I doubt he'll reach that level.
You remember his statistics that season? 20 goals, 15 assists.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
most of the time the common understanding around here is that the french league is not that strong and that the premier league is kind of overrated, but when it fit's your bill a title in the french league is suddenly something valuable.

since i do not give the title "world class player for calendar week 10 of 2016" but rather either call somebody world class or not due to their performances i would say that both robben and ribery are world class, while eden is quite a bit off there still. if you want to have a better left winger than hazard then it get's pretty easy. neymar is better, c. ronaldo too when he plays left winger and we could probably find a few more. it is all fine if you think world class is anybody who is top 5 in ones position world wide hazard would probably be in there. but my definition simply differs.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
most of the time the common understanding around here is that the french league is not that strong and that the premier league is kind of overrated, but when it fit's your bill a title in the french league is suddenly something valuable.

since i do not give the title "world class player for calendar week 10 of 2016" but rather either call somebody world class or not due to their performances i would say that both robben and ribery are world class, while eden is quite a bit off there still. if you want to have a better left winger than hazard then it get's pretty easy. neymar is better, c. ronaldo too when he plays left winger and we could probably find a few more. it is all fine if you think world class is anybody who is top 5 in ones position world wide hazard would probably be in there. but my definition simply differs.
Robben? Lol. Ribery? Lol. This is 2016, not 2010. Neymar I can see that, Ronaldo's a striker these days.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I've seen him play great games against quality teams for Chelsea and Lille. With Belgium we leave him hanging. Our tactics are a disgrace. We give Hazard the ball, then don't move at all or even run in front of him. It's ridiculous.
You shouldn't base your opinion on an occasional one-off. And what makes De Bruyne world class all of a sudden? And Carrasco? :howler:

From your squad, you could only label Courtois as world class, and I consider him a level below Buffom still.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You shouldn't base your opinion on an occasional one-off. And what makes De Bruyne world class all of a sudden? And Carrasco? :howler:

From your squad, you could only label Courtois as world class, and I consider him a level below Buffom still.
One off? He was voted no. 1 in France and England. How is that a one off?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 58)