Euro 2008 Qualifications: Italia vs Lithuania [09-02-2006] (1 Viewer)

Anverch

Dec 18, 2005
Shyne said:
Not at all. I have never once said im content getting a tie against a team Italy should have demolished. Im just stating what i feel is the obvious ie: Italy didn't play terrible, and all this Donadoin being shit talk is pre-mature. As some1 stated, Lippi's early reign was the same.
ok i understand what u saying, but when Lippi took over we were not the WC chapms...ok i have to leave now brb later on...hope will have a better talk on 9/6/06

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Shyne said:
I totally agree. The first 25 mintues Lithuania were the better side.

I disagree about Lithuania being unlucky to concede that goal though. Nice Cassano play, and Inzaghi was left wide open.
I concur. Italy looked shaky from the start and pretty flat-footed. Lithuania looked like a team that held no WC-parading ceremony in any regard -- and treated Italy like any other opponent they could potentially defeat. Lithuania, IMO, even had the better chances in the early stages.

After the goal, Italy got a wake-up call, though. Lithuania lacked coordination at the backline much of this match, and I sensed the goal coming -- not that it was unlucky of them.

Still, even if Italy put Lithuania on their heels for much of the remaining match, Lithuania didn't tuck in to some wholly defensive position. They sent down their forwards and some midfielders regularly and kept things interesting on the other end -- they didn't look content to hang on to a draw, which I have to commend.

Italy has some high points to take away from this match. But one of the things they'll need to forget is the lack of hunger they came out with tonight.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Di Michele was a surprise lol. I didn't agree with him subbing off De Rossi either, who linked up well with Cassano on a few occassions.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I quite like Di Michele - He is technically gifted and quite versatille, whether he warrants a place in front of Del Piero, or Toni is a different matter though.
As I didn't see the match I cannot comment too much, the line he picked seemed to lack that guile, width, and movement at the final third. Giving chance to Cassano against minnows like Lithuania was a good move, but De Rossi, Perotta, and Gattuso isnt going to get you too many goals. He should have started with front 3 and taken out one of De Rossi or Gattuso (probably the latter) and started Gila.

Anyway, nothing personal against Donadoi, who I actually like quite a lot, but today's draw was a good smack on the face for Rossi. I hope Italia doesnt qualify for Euro so that historians can lament about how one man destroyed Calcio.
Also what is the point of supporting the federation seems to be against so much that, it now seems some of our players (Camo, Del Piero) would be ignored at all cost.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
inzaghi sucks, ill take an inform inzaghi but a 65 year old man who isn't in form can sit on the bench.....how he missed that open net cassano gave him in the second half noone knows. cassano played good imo

Silvers

Sep 3, 2006
Some of the blame can be passed onto the coach because he picked the team. Its unlikely that the result would have been as poor if Totti, Del Piero, Toni and Camoranesi were playing.

I see the logic of him giving some of the other players a chance to gain experience, but it simply didn't pay off.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Silvers said:
Some of the blame can be passed onto the coach because he picked the team. Its unlikely that the result would have been as poor if Totti, Del Piero, Toni and Camoranesi were playing.

I see the logic of him giving some of the other players a chance to gain experience, but it simply didn't pay off.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Anverch

Dec 18, 2005
juventus710 said:
juve shouldve went to tar
let fifa ban italy for euro 2008, since italy might not even make it
LMAO...but lats not get carried away, it is just one game, i mean its going to be just 2 games lol.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Silvers said:

Those guys were all out of form except for Del Piero. It makes perfect sense that he played Cassano and Inzaghi because Cassano is as much of a support striker as Del Piero and Inzaghi is a supreme finisher. If he played Toni (lack of form) or Camoranesi (who has the poorest attitude), they probably would've done worse.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
The biggest mistake that Donadoni did was playing with that flat midfield.No width at all.Wat the hell was he thinking ? perrota,pirlo,de rossi, gattuso...wats missing there ? Yes no wingers and dont tell me perrota is a winger cuz hes only a make shift winger not a true one.

He should've played marchionni at least, provide him with some width.Or play with a 4-3-3 formation.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I said it from the start that Donadoni is not the right man for this job , france will win and italy will be in big trouble in this group

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)