Not open for further replies.
OP
Alen

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
  • Thread Starter #5,008
    Spain will crush Germany.
    Don't be so sure. This match is likely to be closer than the odds indicate.
    People have short memories, and ride on emotions. The public remember Spain's second half dominance over Russia. What's not shown on the highlights, is the fact that for 50 minutes, Spain was pretty much held at bay by a makeshift Russian defense and it was Russia who had the best chance in the opening half. And once the breakthrough came, the Russian collapse was inevitable, as they were forced to push people forward leaving their rear wide-openly exposed.

If you take a closer look you'll see that Spain's best matches (and the only matches where they comfortably won) were against the same team, Russia.
    The Swedes held them pretty well and Spain needed a final second goal to beat them. Against Italy they didn't create a single chance in 120 minutes and i won't even count the hard fought win against Greece because it was Spain's second team.
    Could it be that Russian style suits Spain and that's why they destroyed them ?

Spain's strength is their ball control and passing. Passing stretches the field, and accurate passing eliminates your opposition's transition game. Spain's weakness on the other hand, is physicality, especially when it comes to dealing with balls in the air. 2 of the 3 goals they've conceded, have been from headers off set pieces. And it's not hard to see why this is. Spain's lineup is the shortest on this Euro.

On the other hand, we all know where German's strength is. They are the tallest (or one of top 3 tallest) teams on this euro.
    The question is : How will Spain, with a much smaller lineup, cope with German air balls into the box? The way Germany scored 3 times against Turkey and Portugal. Yes, Portugal, anyone remember them? Another team not dissimilar to Spain, that's technically gifted, but not the strongest physically. Odds were similar as this game too, with Germany being the underdog coming off 2 lack-luster performances which left many people writing them off.
    Yes, the Germans weren't consistent at all but something the Germans have been, especially in the knockout stage, is that they are deadly efficient, and opportunistic. Meaning one who takes maximum advantage of his opportunities when presented upon. 6 shots on target and 6 goals for the Germans in last 2 matches.
    And that's what counts. Football is not figure skating, you don't earn extra points for style.

Germany is my favorite to win the whole thing.

Jun 13, 2007
    I think Germany's weaknesses overshadows its strengths in this tournament. Spain on the other hand, have demonstrated their sublime strength going foward. Their midfield, defense, and attack are all stronger than Germany's.

However, the Germans have the winning mentality the Spaniards lack and it is well known that in cup finals, the team with the stronger mentality always wins.

I would like to see Spain win it. They play nice football and deserve to win a big tournament. I just find it hard to see the Germans losing after going so far.

If I had to predict the scoreline, I would say 2-1 for Spain in the end.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    It's anybody's guess who will win. If I had to choose I'd go with Germany because of their brute strength and resolve, but Spain could rip them a new one if they aren't careful.

Spain plays better football so hopefully they'll pull through.

OP
    Alen

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
  • Thread Starter #5,015
    It's anybody's guess who will win. If I had to choose I'd go with Germany because of their brute strength and resolve, but Spain could rip them a new one if they aren't careful.

Spain plays better football so hopefully they'll pull through.
    Even though i don't really like the Spanish NT, it will be nice for a change a team that plays attractive football to win the EURO.
    Greece, France, Germany and Denmark (the last 4 EURO winners) were really boring teams.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Even though i don't really like the Spanish NT, it will be nice for a change a team that plays attractive football to win the EURO.
    Greece, France, Germany and Denmark (the last 4 EURO winners) were really boring teams.
    I don't like Espana so much either, just that I respect their talent. And since Germany hasn't been "that great", I hope they lose and the Spanish finally get something going. Lets just hope it's a cracker of a match. Should be.

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    Villa blow for Spain
    Top scorer to sit out Euro 2008 final

Last Updated 27th June 2008
    Villa: Injury blow

I'm a little sad that I won't be there to take part, but it's better that a team-mate who is fit plays instead of me.

David Villa has been ruled out of Spain's Euro 2008 final against Germany on Sunday.

The Valencia striker limped out of Spain's 3-0 semi-final victory over Russia after striking the ground while taking a first-half free-kick.

And Villa, who is the current top scorer at Euro 2008 with four goals, has now had to concede defeat in his battle to be fit for the final in Vienna in two days' time.

Spain's team doctor Jesus Jimenez says Villa has a small rupture in his right leg muscle that will take five-to-10 days to heal and the forward has admitted his disappointment.

"Now I am going to have to enjoy (the final) from the sidelines," Villa is quoted as saying in Marca.

Alonso warning

"To force myself would be stupid. I would go as far as to play even with an injury but this is a team effort.

"There are others who will do better at 100 per cent fitness.

"I'm a little sad that I won't be there to take part, but it's better that a team-mate who is fit plays instead of me, particularly as my injury has left me limping quite badly."

Meanwhile, Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has warned Germany that he and his team-mates can only improve and that Villa will not be missed.

"The best is yet to come and we need to finish off what we have done so far," added Alonso. "We are hungry for success, we want to lift the cup on Sunday.

"Whoever is playing, I think we have different options and enough courage to have a good system and it (Villa's absence) won't be a problem for us."

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

The final is worthless without Villa. Now Spain will lose for sure. Fucking unlucky man!

Time to change my sig.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)