Euro 2008 LIVE (52 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Swag, you should know that I'm the first to greet Azzurri/Juve supporters with open arms no matter what their nationality or motivation is. I'm just sick and tired of seeing people who chose to support Juve bashing people who chose to support the Azzurri, saying it's a big difference. Yeah maybe from Pennsylvania it might look like that, but then again from there Fazoli's looks like a quality italian restaurant, while it looks like an abomination worth discinigrating from where I'm standing.

Like that's not enough I have to draw the line at people calling me a trophy hunter, sorry.

Buy on AliExpress.com

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Sorry Enron, seems like you got caught up in the crossfire a little. I didn't mean to say that you don't have a reason to support the Reds, but where do you come off telling people they don't have the right to support the Azzurri even tho they're not italian? Seems to me that I'd be in more of a position to make that judgement, and I already explained my position on it.

Edit: Yes and it makes sense that you'd root for Spain, that's exactly why I don't get how some of the "juve fans" in here can bash the Azzurri so hard. There's a deep and profound connection between the two, if one can't see that than they're lost in my book.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Swag, you should know that I'm the first to greet Azzurri/Juve supporters with open arms no matter what their nationality or motivation is. I'm just sick and tired of seeing people who chose to support Juve bashing people who chose to support the Azzurri, saying it's a big difference. Yeah maybe from Pennsylvania it might look like that, but then again from there Fazoli's looks like a quality italian restaurant, while it looks like an abomination worth discinigrating from where I'm standing.

Like that's not enough I have to draw the line at people calling me a trophy hunter, sorry.
No one called you a trophy hunter. It seems you were the one doing that. Now if somewhere deep down you have a feeling of guilt or regret about who you follow in the football world, that's your problem. And very strange. Now until someone comes out and straight up says Juventus1897 is a trophy hunter, you need to chill out.

By the way. the only negative thing I've said about Italy this tournament is that Zambro is sucking and Pirlo needs to step up. That's all true.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Fair argument. But you also have to realize that there are rampant people who wrap themselves in Azzurri gear and are the first to cry for "Italian blood!" when Camoranesi touches the ball, and they're not the least bit Italian and the worst kind of hypocrites.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Sorry Enron, seems like you got caught up in the crossfire a little. I didn't mean to say that you don't have a reason to support the Reds, but where do you come off telling people they don't have the right to support the Azzurri even tho they're not italian? Seems to me that I'd be in more of a position to make that judgement, and I already explained my position on it.
Actually I haven't said that at all. You're confusing me with Andy.

The Olive Garden comment is an inside joke dating back to days of conversation of tossing fake Italian food against restaurant walls. That's all.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I must disagree with this.
If you say that the Turks have a better team, better coach then i can't say that you're wrong (neither that you're right). And i'm not talking about the crippled Turkish team that played against Croatia. I'm talking about a team with Basturk, the other Altintop, Emre etc.

But if you're talking pure talent then i disagree.
Turkey indeed has extremely talented players. The talent was always there though. What they lacked was better organization and better conditions to develop.
Apart from Portugal and Spain, no-one in western/northern europe has more talented players than Turkey.
But it's a little different when you compare the Turkish with the ex-Yu players. The Croats, the Serbs, the Montenegrins, partly Macedonians and especially the Bosnians who are imo the most talented of them all.
Unlike in other countries, in these ex-yu countries, or at least in Croatia, you can't play football if you aren't extremely talented.
You won't find a Servet Cetin or a Marco Materazzi in Croatia. Only those who were the greatest talents when they were 9 or 10 become professional footballers.
The Bosnians were always the most technical players or the best dribblers. What we lack is money to develop the talent. Just look at the ones with yugo origins who grew up in other countries and you'll see a typical ex-yu talent in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Talent who had all the conditions to develop into a world class footballer.

You watch the guys play futsal and you get the feeling that you're in some Brazilian beach watching the guys play football.
Similar futsal i've seen only in Lloret de mar and Sevilla in Spain and probably they are even better in Portugal.
Turkey is also high on this list but they aren't on par with us.

The Northern Africans are very similar to the Balkans, the Spaniards and the Portuguese when talent is concerned. Give them great conditions and you get Zinedine Zidane.

To sum up, the Turks aren't more talented than the Croats. And certainly not by a mile.
:agree: :tup:

The biggest problem here is financial one, and many talented players are destroyed because they joined clubs from eastern europe (mostly Russia and mostly their 2nd Divison). Players are going after money and are not thinking about their future development, so most of them fail to success and they are coming back to their national leagues even worse. And than again they shine for a half season and again they are going to 2nd division Russian club and again they are coming back, and that goes on until they finish their career.

About Turks, they pretty much suprised me at this tournament. I always knew that they have talent, but in qualification matches they struggled, at least against Bosnia and I don't know should I mention that Bosnia pretty much sucked... In their last and decisive game against us in Turkey, a game which meant nothing to us and everything to Turks they had big problems to score and win a game. Eventualy they won, but at that time I was dissapointed that they went trough cuz they showed nothing and didn't deserved to go trough.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
I love these statistics:

What superstitious Spaniards will not want in Vienna today is a penalty shoot-out. Three times on this date at previous tournaments they have faced a shoot-out in a quarter-final – and three times they have lost.

22 June 1986 (World Cup, Mexico): Lost to Belgium.

22 June 1996 (Euro 96, England): Lost to England.

22 June 2002 (World Cup, South Korea): Lost to South Korea.
Not that I cheer for Italy, but it's a bad coincidence for Spain.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Fair argument. But you also have to realize that there are rampant people who wrap themselves in Azzurri gear and are the first to cry for "Italian blood!" when Camoranesi touches the ball, and they're not the least bit Italian and the worst kind of hypocrites.
Let them bash those people then and not take it as a reason to bash the Azzurri. Besides I doubt that they'd behave that way in the real world anyways.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The Olive Garden comment is an inside joke dating back to days of conversation of tossing fake Italian food against restaurant walls. That's all.
It's why I laughed at Enron's Olive Garden reference (an old discussion in another thread).

They seriously have to come up with a term like "Olive Garden Italians" in international football tournaments as they do for things like "latte liberals" in elections, etc. ;)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Edit: Yes and it makes sense that you'd root for Spain, that's exactly why I don't get how some of the "juve fans" in here can bash the Azzurri so hard. There's a deep and profound connection between the two, if one can't see that than they're lost in my book.
It also seems to me that there isn't much allowance by Azzurri for criticism of the Italian National side. I have no problem with criticizing the US NT, especially when they've just laid an egg. Italy fans seem to take criticism as a hatred for their side, when it is far from that. Meaning the Azzurri tend to get offended easily, and such dialogues then become arguments.

Just an observation.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
No dude, there's criticism and then there's pure bashing, big difference. There's been both here and I'm not talking about the criticism. It's also pretty cheap to say italians are not as open to criticism about their NT as others. I think you can only judge something like that on a person-to-person basis.

Edit: well you quoted me and than said your line about glory wagon, so I just naturally assumed. No sweat tho, I saw all those new-born Russians too :D

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
And because of thoose people, every normal Azzuri fan is bashed. And than we are having endless arguments about nothing.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
No dude, there's criticism and then there's pure bashing, big difference. There's been both here and I'm not talking about the criticism. It's also pretty cheap to say italians are not as open to criticism about their NT as others. I think you can only judge something like that on a person-to-person basis.

Edit: well you quoted me and than said your line about glory wagon, so I just naturally assumed. No sweat tho, I saw all those new-born Russians too :D
Well I think the line is hard to decipher. Some are merely criticizing while others are more hard. But both get muddled together in a dumb argument that most often ends up in nothing but warning and bans.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Well I think the line is hard to decipher. Some are merely criticizing while others are more hard. But both get muddled together in a dumb argument that most often ends up in nothing but warning and bans.
Well I could give you a couple of basher names...Not that I would tho, so let's end this argument here, was mostly a misunderstanding between us anyways. No hard feelings.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I was referring to the 20 or so overnight Russia fans. But hey if that offends you, then I am sorry. It was not meant to due so.
Yeah, but some people are glad that better team won. It's not like they became Russia hardcore fans. I'm cheering for Italy and Croatia at this tournament since there is no Bosnia. Croatia cuz I almost always cheer for ex-YU countries and Italy because of Juve. But when those countries don't play than I want to win a better team, and last night Russia truly deserved to win and I would be dissapointed if they were knocked out by last night "average" Holland team, it would be unfair. On the other hand you have people who are just glad that big favorites lost and that underdog won, or just hate Holland and cuz of that they celebrate Russia win like they won that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)