Euro 2004: Italy vs. Azerbaijan (2 Viewers)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Trap recalls Totti and Miccoli

----------------------------------------

Francesco Totti and Fabrizio Miccoli have been recalled to the Italy squad for next week’s qualifier against Azerbaijan.

The two men both missed last month’s games against Wales and Serbia but are back after recovering from injury.

Boss Giovanni Trapattoni has named a 21-man squad for the Reggio Calabria clash but he is without two Juventus men.

Alex Del Piero has been ruled out of action until November, while Alessio Tacchinardi is also missing because of injury.

There are no real surprises in the squad, which also includes Juve’s Marco Di Vaio after his four Serie A goals so far this season.

The Azzurri need a victory against Azerbaijan on Saturday to automatically qualify for the 2004 European Championships.

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Toldo (Inter).

Defenders: Cannavaro (Inter), Ferrari (Parma), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Panucci (Roma), Zambrotta (Juventus)

Midfielders: Camoranesi (Juventus), Fiore (Lazio), Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Chievo), C Zanetti (Inter).

Forwards: Corradi (Lazio), Delvecchio (Roma), Di Vaio (Juventus), Inzaghi (Milan), Miccoli (Juventus), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter).

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by littleD ] ++
The group scenarios...

- Italy and Wales have clinched at least playoff spots, other 3 teams can't qualify.
- Italy win, Wales win - Italy qualify, Wales go to playoff
- Italy loss, Wales win - Wales qualify, Italy go to playoff
- Italy win, Wales loss - Italy qualify, Wales go to playoff
- Italy draw, Wales draw - Italy qualify, Wales go to playoff
- Italy draw, Wales win - Wales qualify, Italy go to playoff
- Italy loss, Wales draw - tie for group lead
- Italy draw, Wales loss - Italy qualify, Wales go to playoff

I think that is all the scenarios. Should there be a tie between the two teams after the matches are played, these are the tie-breaking rules...

• Number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question; still tied
• Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question; advantage Italy

I think it should be a nice easy match against the Azeri's. Italy beat them 2-0 last Septmber in Azerbaijan.

Squad will probably be named sometime today, maybe after all the matches have been played. Referee will beStuart Dougal from Scotland.
Thank you for that, it's really helpful :)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Would like to see Totti and Miccoli play at the same time (which I think is quite probable considering that Del Piero is injured).

I hope the forward line will be:

Vieri
Miccoli Totti Camoranesi

or

Vieri
DV Totti Miccoli

The first one is probably more technical, the second more effective.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just hope that they win, I don't care if I have to go out there.

Could you picture them losing to Azerbaijan??

Oh man, they'll be warming up the electric chair for Trapp on the plane.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Yea it is Azerbaijan in home. I don't even care who play... Italy can't loose it and if we lose it it really means that we do not deserve the EURO. But I'm sure we won't ;) I predict a 3 or 4 / 0 :)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
No lineup is fair unless Inzaghi is in that lineup as he is the hottest Italian striker right now, love him or hate him

I know we are Juve fans but come one Di Vaio? What for? He gets into offside positions as much as Inzaghi and he is no where as opportunistic

Vieri didnt look too great yesterday and Corradi has been disappointing of late, pity the total disregard for Cassano and Montella as they are in better shape than most of the strikers on view but good thing Totti is back and hopefully Panucci is still feeling the effects of the car accident otherwise I would be tempted to come and test drive in the streets of Rome

Yet again Tacchinardi is crying off with a suspect injury (he is not even a regular to be messing around like that) but can keep Davids out of Juve's starting lineup

I read good things about Del Rossi of Roma , I hope he does prove to be a very good midfielder as at the moment only Perrotta looks decent enough in the middle of the park with both engine and it would be too much for Trapatoni to recall Albertini who should never have been discarded anyways imo

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Albertini recently said that he don't want to play with Azzurri as lomg as Trapattoni is the coach, actually.

Anycase I think the line up will be with Totti behind Inzaghi and Vieri and hopfully Oddo instead of Panucci. IMO there will not be many experiments in the starting eleven but if we will be largely winning there will be space 4 them in the second half.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I just wish Italy can play either in Rome or Milan as sometimes they seem to suffer in smaller grounds and its hard for them to motivate themselves in the smaller grounds as well , I think they are playing at Reggina

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Yes at Granillo, Reggina Stadium in Reggio Calabria.
Trapattoni prefer to play in the Southern city cause somehow they are wormer with the NT. In the north many times it happens that he was contested (Remember in Genova vs Portogallo?). Also FIGC prefer it cause in the South, peaple have less oportunityes to see good quality soccer, infact they have just few teams in serie A and none in the cup's. It will be not nice to play always in Rome an Milan also if, ther's no dubts San Siro and Olimpico are the bests Italian stadiums. Anycase I think Granillo is a very nice stadium.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
My preferred line-up:

Buffon
Oddo Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
Gattuso Perrotta
Camoranesi Totti Di Vaio
Vieri

What Trap is gonna play:

Buffon
Panucci Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
Zanetti Perrotta
Camoranesi Totti Delvecchio
Vieri

Or maybe he'll drop the whole 4-2-3-1 scheme and play with Totti behind Inzaghi and Vieri :undecide:

Apr 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

What Trap is gonna play:

Buffon
Panucci Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
Zanetti Perrotta
Camoranesi Totti Delvecchio
Vieri

Or maybe he'll drop the whole 4-2-3-1 scheme and play with Totti behind Inzaghi and Vieri :undecide:
You know Trap so well. He must field his secret lover Panucci whenever and wherever !

Oddo is much much better than Panucci and Oddo is good at freekick. DAMN Trap, let Oddo play :fero:

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I think Trap prefers Panucci to Oddo because the former is better defensively .. with a relatively attacking formation (4-3-1-2) he needs to secure the defence and that's why Panucci and Zambrotta might be chosen .. Anyway, anything can happen in football, Italy can camp for the whole 90 minutes in Azeri's half and end-up with a 0-0 score, it happened before .. so the strikers need to concentrate and score as early as possible ..

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
Albertini recently said that he don't want to play with Azzurri as lomg as Trapattoni is the coach, actually.
I thought, that that was Trap, who didnt want to call Albertini, not that Albertini didnt want to play...
But I may be wrong.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
My lineup:

Buffon
Gattuso Zanetti Perrotta
Totti
Vieri Inzaghi
We'll see something like that with Panucci in place of Oddo and maybe Camoranesi in place of one of the three mids.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
My lineup:

Buffon
Gattuso Zanetti Perrotta
Totti
Vieri Inzaghi
Why would you want Gatusso, Perrota and Zanetti to play against Azerbaijan
I would definitely play Camo or Fiore ahead of Gatusso

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)