Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (7 Viewers)

May 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dr-Juve ] ++
According to aljazeera sport channel (euro2004 host)
their correspondant said that during the second half of italy and sweden match, Trap had a talk fro a few seconds with vieri excusing him to get replaced but vieri refused and then trap decided to replace DP

if it is true i think totti should have spat on them both instead of spittin on the denes player
if thats true... i will make sure that trap will get his ass fired... ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
[/QUOTE]
I don't really care, because whoever finishes first or second out of Holland/Czech/Germany, they're all strong teams, without any great distinction in quality between the three. I just want the bastards to qualify :fero: [/QUOTE]

If Italy finsh second then they will most likely have to play Czeck Republic :down: I really would hate to see any of them teams go out that early.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #423
    Italy vs the Czechs would be an amazing game, but you're right, it would be sad for either of those teams to go out in the quarters. Imo they have produced the two best games of these European Championships so far: Italy-Sweden and Holland-Czech Rep.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    I agree, Stu

but one of them will have to go out and as much as I think the Czech are a good team Id rather see them leave than Italy

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    I agree, Stu

but one of them will have to go out and as much as I think the Czech are a good team Id rather see them leave than Italy
    based on performance and result, i'd rather italy go out thank you very much :stuckup:

apart from drawing with sweden when they played gr8, they didnt do nothing much to deserve the stay

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

based on performance and result, i'd rather italy go out thank you very much :stuckup:

apart from drawing with sweden when they played gr8, they didnt do nothing much to deserve the stay
    Well Denmark tied Italy and was just as lucky in that game NOT to be scored on. They then beat the "mighty" Bulgaria...so thus far they have not been tested against Sweden so are far from Superior. Sweden too...beat Bulgaria and tied Italy in the dying minutes of the game.
    Where is the superiority...did they outplay Italy??
    What is deserving of the other two? Because they beat Bulgaria??

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    I've noticed many "angry" "cranky", etc. Italian comments directed my way because of Italy's performance...stick to your words and don't start riding the bandwagon once Italy starts winning on Tuesday. You drew the line NOW I'll make sure you stick to it...you know WHO you are.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    Azzurri fear Scandinavian fix
    Saturday19 June, 2004

Alex Del Piero, Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo admit they fear that Denmark and Sweden will play out a high-scoring draw to knock out Italy.

“The international press and especially the Danes have picked on us over the last few days due to Francesco Totti’s spitting incident,” noted Del Piero. “They all talked about a lack of fair play. Now it’ll be interesting to see what their version of fair play is.”

A score-draw of 2-2 or above would automatically qualify both teams and eliminate Italy from the competition, regardless of their result against Bulgaria.

“A 2-2 would be truly a dirty result,” added the suspicious Juve captain, “but I am certain that both teams will go out there looking for the win.”

The rules for Group games in major tournaments were changed after the scandal of 1982, when Austria and Germany played out the only result that would qualify both teams, choosing not to go past the halfway line for 70 minutes of the match.

Now all the final Group ties must be played simultaneously to avoid a similar incident, except in this case Italy’s result is potentially irrelevant.

“I am still confident we’ll go through,” added Del Piero. “Sweden and Denmark can draw 0-0 or 1-1, because that can happen, but a 2-2 is such a strange result that it would mean there was some sort of agreement. It would be undignified and a shameful blight on both nations.”

Andrea Pirlo (pictured) is also concerned that a high-scoring draw will raise major question marks over the two neighbouring nations.

“I have experience at the highest level,” said the Milan man, “and therefore know that to agree a 2-2 draw or higher is very difficult indeed. If it was 0-0 that could qualify them, we’d be much more worried as that’s surely much simpler to play out.”

Some newspapers even asked Pirlo if he was going to call his Rossoneri teammates Jon Dahl Tomasson and Martin Laursen.

“It would be ridiculous for me to do such a thing. They are professionals and already know how to behave.”

But the toughest warning came from Gennaro Gattuso, who will be suspended for Italy’s match with Bulgaria.

“Let’s put about 50 TV cameras on the Sweden-Denmark game to capture it if anything untoward happens,” said the midfield warrior. “If there’s something I can’t stand, it’s all these Swedes and Danes trying to teach us how to play fair, so now I want to see what they’ll come up with.”

Gattuso also harked back to the controversy that followed Italy’s exit from the 2002 World Cup – a tournament that saw five valid goals disallowed for a variety of refereeing errors.

“I think we Italians aren’t too popular nowadays. They say UEFA respect us, but in every tournament recently something strange happens.”

The most reassuring Azzurri voice is Christian Vieri, who missed several great chances to kill off the game against Sweden.

“The Scandinavians have always been a model of civil behaviour and sporting fair play,” said the Inter striker. “I really doubt there will be a fix.”

---------------
    Would they? :d
    After reading this I would be happy if the Danes & Swedes drew 2-2. What a load of BS by the italian players! After displaying horrible football in the first game & a clumsy second half against Sweden it serves them right to be in the position they are in. Am losing a lot of respect for some of these players.

Sep 14, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
    I've noticed many "angry" "cranky", etc. Italian comments directed my way because of Italy's performance...stick to your words and don't start riding the bandwagon once Italy starts winning on Tuesday. You drew the line NOW I'll make sure you stick to it...you know WHO you are.
    I've noticed it too. I wonder why some of them bother supporting an Italian team at all. :(

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++

After reading this I would be happy if the Danes & Swedes drew 2-2. What a load of BS by the italian players! After displaying horrible football in the first game & a clumsy second half against Sweden it serves them right to be in the position they are in. Am losing a lot of respect for some of these players.
    Italian players have trouble accepting responsibility, they'll always find someone or something to blame. Every time they're near to being knocked out you'll hear a bunch of conspiracy theories come up, because how oh how can the might Italians, with the best, classiest and most stylish players, not qualify?

++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++

I've noticed it too. I wonder why some of them bother supporting an Italian team at all. :(

There is a difference between club and country.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    “Let’s put about 50 TV cameras on the Sweden-Denmark game to capture it if anything untoward happens,” said the midfield warrior. “If there’s something I can’t stand, it’s all these Swedes and Danes trying to teach us how to play fair, so now I want to see what they’ll come up with.” Gattuso on the forthcoming Sweden - Denmark match
    This takes the cake! I thought Gattuso was intelligent. Am not sure anymore.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Italian players have trouble accepting responsibility, they'll always find someone or something to blame. Every time they're near to being knocked out you'll hear a bunch of conspiracy theories come up, because how oh how can the might Italians, with the best, classiest and most stylish players, not qualify?
    If only they could just play football because they actually can and stop this lame ass whinning :rolleyes:

Sep 14, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

There is a difference between club and country.
    Of course, but when people start slagging off Italian football, (which they're entitled to) then don't bother watching it.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
    Dont let it bother you. Most reactions are impulsive and anguished. Every match paints a different picture, come tuesday, and we're through (please god) im sure all these people will come around once and for all.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++

Of course, but when people start slagging off Italian football, (which they're entitled to) then don't bother watching it.
    Yeah, but the Italian NT and the rest of Serie A dont have to play the same way. You may not like Traps tactics, but in Serie A you have different teams, managers, tactics, players, influences etc, so you can like Serie A, but not the way the NT plays.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++

This takes the cake! I thought Gattuso was intelligent. Am not sure anymore.
    He didnt say anything unintelligent and he has a point. Totti got suspended because he wasnt doing the "fair play" and you always hear people calling the italian team cheaters. If Italy obeyed the "fair play" and didnt apeal for Totti's ban because they knew what Totti did is wrong, then the Danes should play the "fair play" as well.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++

He didnt say anything unintelligent and he has a point. Totti got suspended because he wasnt doing the "fair play" and you always hear people calling the italian team cheaters. If Italy obeyed the "fair play" and didnt apeal for Totti's ban because they knew what Totti did is wrong, then the Danes should play the "fair play" as well.
    What have the Danes done?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)