Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (7 Viewers)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Italy- how you dissapoint me. We drew a very, VERY 'easy' group, as in avoided teams like holland england france spain, but yet we still cant get through. I fully blame trap, bad tactics selection. Italy should NOT invite pressure, they should score again. Cassano, Pannuci, Zambrotta, Gatusso and especially Del piero were running the show.

wong ka yan

Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++
Italy- how you dissapoint me. We drew a very, VERY 'easy' group , as in avoided teams like holland england france spain, but yet we still cant get through. I fully blame trap, bad tactics selection. Italy should NOT invite pressure, they should score again. Cassano, Pannuci, Zambrotta, Gatusso and especially Del piero were running the show.
:groan: i dont think so........... holland england france spain , their performance are so bad........
:rolleyes:

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Just wait for the inevitable. If Sweden – Denmark ends 2-2, all the Italians will complain about how this tournament was fixed, FIFA has it in for them, UEFA has it in for them, Scandinavia has it in for them. Everyone will have conspired against them this year much like two years ago in Korea because it is impossible that the great Azzuri lose, so someone must be stacking the deck against them, all part of some grand and highly organized plot to ruin Italian football. Maybe everyone will be let off the hook again this time like they were in the last WC.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
Just wait for the inevitable. If Sweden – Denmark ends 2-2, all the Italians will complain about how this tournament was fixed, FIFA has it in for them, UEFA has it in for them, Scandinavia has it in for them. Everyone will have conspired against them this year much like two years ago in Korea because it is impossible that the great Azzuri lose, so someone must be stacking the deck against them, all part of some grand and highly organized plot to ruin Italian football. Maybe everyone will be let off the hook again this time like they were in the last WC.
I did thought there was a conspiracy in the last WC :D not necessarily against Italy, but definitely something was not right.

and I think there is a good chance for a fixed 2-2 draw but I hope not

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Way to go Trapatoni

Lets take a good look at your infinite wisdom

First of all the players you left behind

The best off the ball running striker in world football imo Inzaghi and the hottest striker in Italy today Gilardino

Your second decision of infinite wisdom is to exclude Gatusso and Pirlo in your first game and play the incredibly useless Zanetti and the hapless Camoranesi with a clueless Perrotta

This made Italy look so ordinary in midfield that Totti felt the need to come collect the ball off the defence just so as to get in the game

Then in the game against Sweden in which really yout ream bossed playing some superb stuff like your silly counterpart who is managing England took off Rooney for Heskey when he had the French where he wanted them, you decide to take off Italy's own boy wonder Cassano who was absolutely brilliant, Dp who was having a fine game but by no means at his best but still was giving giving Sweden something to think about but you then bring 3 of the biggest waste of space in international football, the emotionally stagnated Fiore , the quite useless Cassano and favalli who came on for like 15 minutes and didnt touch the ball as far as I could see

Why was Vieri on the post, its customary to put a smaller guy on the post and let your big guys attack the ball but Vieri who has been a waste of time thruout just added to his ineptitude in this particular game by staying on the line when he could be marking Zlatan as he is as tall as he is

And why oh why Trap do you think Vieri cannot and should not be replaced even if his contribution is minimal?

Buffon had a fine game with 1 gr8 save

Panucci was very good to but I would drop him in favour of Oddo against the Bulgarians

Zambrotta was very good as well and linked excellently with Cassano
Nesta was slightly disappointing but was ok

Cannavaro never allows any poor club form to affect him and pound for pound probably the best Italian player for his country after Maldini , Baresi and Baggio in the last 10 years in terms of impressiveness

Pirlo was very good though he tends to dwell on the ball a tad much but still controlled the tempo of the game

Gatusso was a collossus man of the match , has come on heaps and bounds since the last wc and he is vital to this team, was everywhere and his passing has improved

Cassano just pipped by Gatusso as he was a joy to watch and should neevr be dropped for anybody

Dp did some very good things but also some lame ones, seems to be in the wrong places at times and has to run at defenders more

Vieri just very bad, his movement is awful his timing at headers si crap and should be dropped in favour of Dv ( I cannot believe I am saying this) so at to create a more fluid movement against Bulgaria but if Italy do qualify for 1/4s shoud be back and should get his act together

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Honestly i dont think there will be a 2-2 draw between sweden denmark, coz it may be too apparent if it turns out that way. In fact id like to think theyd be playing to win to avoid one team or another from group d. Italy on the other hand better play di vaio if trap decides to sub nebody it shud be vieri. atleast dv will put in some running and ensure we get as many goals as we can.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by JuveCampione ] ++

A 2-2 draw would be nothing more then a coincidence. If say for example Sweden has a 2-1 lead in the 80th minute, what incentive do they have to let Denmark score an equalizer? Do you think the Swedish coach (or coaches, isn't it?) really care if Italy or Denmark advances alongside them? They will be far too concerned with their squad and the match they are playing. If they did let up and Denmark did equalize, whose to say Denmark would hold up their end of the bargin anyway? They could always score a fluke own goal or something, it really isn't worth the risk. Now if the match should happen to wind up 2-2 at some late point I would imagine both teams would be content to qualify but that does not mean it is a conspiracy, just human nature. I don't care what the reason is, if Italy do not advance, they have no one to blame but themselves. Hopefully this time around they will realize that and start to look in the mirror where the blame belongs rather then complain about a conspiarcy.

babyblue

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by JuveCampione ] ++

I did thought there was a conspiracy in the last WC :D not necessarily against Italy, but definitely something was not right.

i agree.

this time is absolutely different from what was going on last WC.
if there's someone to blame, i think trap should be the first one.
he made all this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)