Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (4 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Art^ ] ++
Cassano, Zambo, Panucci, DP and Buffon were the best IMO
Yep, though Buffon didn't have much to do apart from that one fantastic save. He did think quickly on some occasions and rushed out to gather the ball under pressure
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
If Italy make it to the Semifinals, Totti should NOT get his place back. Italy plays much better without him.
Yeah, but since when has Trap ever made the best choice regarding players? :rolleyes::irritate:
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Its a pretty normal decision to decide to tighten things up a bit on 70minutes.
You're right, it's normal to tighten things up at the back, but that's far from what Trap did. I would probably be complaining if we brought on two defensive players for Alex and Cassano, because we really could've grabbed at least another goal, but at least then we probably would have got the result. But of course, Trap in his inifinite wisdom opts for two attacking-minded players in Fiore and Camoranesi, taking off our two most potent attacking threats. ffs
++ [ originally posted by Stevie11 ] ++
I hope denmark win so that maybe Italy will finish top if they score enough against bulgaria.
I don't really care, because whoever finishes first or second out of Holland/Czech/Germany, they're all strong teams, without any great distinction in quality between the three. I just want the bastards to qualify :fero:

Buy on AliExpress.com

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
That was a much better Italy performance, too bad about the result though. Everybody looked good except for Vieri. Panucci, Zambrotta, Buffon, Cassano, Del Piero all outstanding. Unfortunate that once Sweden equalized our only forward left n the field was the out of sorts Vieri.

Better luck is coming, and I am confident we can pass the round.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
Everybody looked good except for Vieri. Panucci, Zambrotta, Buffon, Cassano, Del Piero all outstanding.
Phew! I thought that was a comma after Vieri :D I was about to kick ur ass :)

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
OK GUYS WHAT ARE THE REPERCUSSIONS HERE...
if sweden or denmark win .... and italy beat bulgaria irrespective theyre thru right?
but if sweden denmark draw...then italy has to win 2-0 or more? or how wil it work?
3 goals difference no matter what is the result of the other game

++ [ originally posted by Art^ ] ++
Italy have never scored more than 2 goals in a WC or a Euro tournament match.

So don't count on a 3-0 win against Bulgaria
italy-brazil
3-2 in WC
3-3 in 95 it was in england as i think so

italy-cameeron
3-0

anyway i dont think they will do it this time
as i said before italy will be kicked out from the first round with thanx to trap the crap

what happens if italy win 2-0 and swe v den is a draw?
see u in euro 2008

++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++

depends on how many goals Denemark score. If they have more tham Italy we are out. If it's still a tie they flip a coin(not sure ;) ).
3 goals will be enough to take the lead and not only to qualify
keep dreaming

++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
we played WAAAAAAAAAY better than last time!!
it's such a shame we didn't win!!

but still....we can still make it!
if sweeden or denmark wins,and italy wins too,we can make it second.
but if they draw(i get it or granted we'll win) we're in serious trouble!
we won't make it to the next round :down:
we are in serious trouble since trap the crap took the respons.

IMO, all the players are good except (Vieri, perrota, camo and fiore) and to some extent DP, he was good in general but dont forget that he failed to score in tow realtively easy occasions

Last chance
Buffon
Panucchi
Nesta
Ferrari
Zamb
Pirlo
Zanneti
DP
Divaio
cassano
corradi

4-3-3 plan

Feb 29, 2004
Italy out if Danes and Swedes draw 2-2

Italy face direct elimination from Euro 2004 whatever the result of their last match if Scandinavian rivals Denmark and Sweden play out a high-scoring draw of 2-2 or more in their final group game.

If that happens, Sweden´s late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw
with Italy on Thursday in Porto would have cost the Italians
very dear indeed.

The situation in Group C is complicated to say the least.

At present Sweden and Denmark head the group with four
points from two matches and Italy follow with two after drawing
both of their games against the Scandinavians. Bulgaria, who
lost to both, are already eliminated.

If Italy beat Bulgaria, as expected, in Guimaraes on Tuesday
and Sweden and Denmark draw the same day in Porto, all three
would finish with five points.

Under tournament rules, the results of the three teams
against each other would then count -- so the matches against
Bulgaria would not be taken into immediate consideration.

This would leave all three teams on two points from the
draws with each other. In such a case, the teams with the
highest number of goals would then go through.

Sweden would by now be certain to qualify because they had
scored more goals against Italy in the 1-1 draw than Denmark did
in their 0-0 tie.

Italy´s goals total would stay on one. If the Denmark-
Sweden game finished 2-2, Denmark would have two goals for and
Sweden three, both more than Italy. The same would apply with
any higher scoring draw.

If the match finished 0-0, Denmark would be eliminated as
they would have no goals.

But it gets really complicated with a 1-1 draw. Sweden would
top the group with two goals and Italy and Denmark finish level
with one. At this point the team with the best result against
Bulgaria would qualify.

The Danes beat Bulgaria 2-0 so Italy would have to do better
in their last game.

Can Italy rely on the Nordic teams not to make an unofficial
pact to go for a 2-2 draw? Luckily for them, Scandinavians are
renowned for their honesty.

Of course, if Italy fail to beat Bulgaria, they would be
eliminated anyway.

On the other hand, if Sweden beat Denmark or vice versa, any
win against Bulgaria would see Italy through

--------------------

Can't believe it.
No reason why Denmark and Sweden won't play 2-2 to make it safe for both teams. 2-2 is a win-win score for them.
Stupid moron, Trap. Eat shit and DIE.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
Can't believe it.
No reason why Denmark and Sweden won't play 2-2 to make it safe for both teams. 2-2 is a win-win score for them.
Stupid moron, Trap. Eat shit and DIE.
:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

next match no Totti, no Gattuso, no Canna

:down: :down: :down:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
At least we're playing Bulgaria without those players. I'd be much more worried if it was Sweden or Denmark

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
its a joke... there is no way a team can play for a 2-2 draw.... both sweden and denmark wasnt safe themselves.. they have to play for a win... 2-2 draw is kinda vague target to aim at.. beside its against the spirit of the game.. there can be punished if they obviously sets up the result...

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
Gp C:Italy qualify if...

Saturday 19 June, 2004

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The situation in Group C is now extremely complicated and even a 3-0 victory over Bulgaria might not be enough to see Italy through to the Quarter-Finals.

Giovanni Trapattonix2019;s men must beat already eliminated Bulgaria in order to have any hope of catching the leading Scandinavian pair, but there are several different results that could put a spanner in the works.

If either Denmark or Sweden win, then Italy would progress in second place with five points and the winning side would top the Group on six.

However, if that game ends in a draw, then all three teams are on five points and UEFAx2019;s rules go through a series of criteria to decide who qualifies.

The only results that count would be those played between these teams, therefore discounting the scorelines against Bulgaria.

As all three matches ended in a draw, the goal difference in these games would also be equal.

UEFA then analyses the goals scored in these encounters, which is why the result of the Denmark-Sweden game is so crucial – it is the only one that can be changed.

Italy scored once in their meetings with the Scandinavians, as have Sweden, while so far Denmark are on 0.

A 0-0 draw would therefore see the Azzurri safely through, as Denmark would remain a goal behind them in this miniature table.

A 1-1 draw would put Sweden out in front, while Italy and Denmark are level on one goal apiece. Here, UEFA turns to the goal difference throughout the entire Group phase, so Trapattonix2019;s team must beat Bulgaria 2-0 to be sure of matching Denmarkx2019;s record.

At this stage, the UEFA coefficient comes into play. The Azzurri again have the upper hand with a rating of 2.31 compared to 2.05 for the Danes.

However, a draw between the Scandinavian neighbours with four goals or more would automatically eliminate Italy regardless of their result against Bulgaria.

The Azzurri qualify if Italy beat Bulgaria and:

1) either Denmark or Sweden win

2) Denmark and Sweden draw 0-0

3) Denmark and Sweden draw 1-1 and Italy beat Bulgaria by two clear goals

Italy go out if:

1) Italy fail to beat Bulgaria

2) Denmark and Sweden draw 2-2 or above

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
So against Bulgaria, Vieri score 1, Cassano score 1, DP score 1, Gigi has to save absolutly everything. There! That seams easy enought for us right?!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I still think Italy will go through. But obviously Trap's substitution choices followed a strategy of playing not-to-lose rather than playing to win. I hate that. I always have.

It burned me when Lippi subbed in Birindelli for Trez in the first Roma match last season and soon after Zebina got the equilizer.

Anyone on this group knows I'm no detractor of defensive soccer. But to play on your heels like that and leave yourself limited attacking options in case of an equalizer ... Trap reaped what he sowed.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I dunno theres just too much complication in this group.I CANT BELIEVE the press labelled this group the most straight forward. Its anything but.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I dunno theres just too much complication in this group.I CANT BELIEVE the press labelled this group the most straight forward. Its anything but.
Agreed, Denmark and Sweden are grossly under-rated teams.
If Italy go out, i wont blame any one on the team. Only one man deserves to lose his place, the man whose trapped them.
If Italy gets knocked out, my initial scapegoats would be Totti and Trapattoni, but we'll have to see after the Bulgaria game for the complete list :)

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ivy ] ++
Gp C:Italy qualify if...

Italy go out if:

1) Italy fail to beat Bulgaria

2) Denmark and Sweden draw 2-2 or above [/b]
The first one is correct of course, but if Den and Swede draw 2-2, the result of the Italy-Bulgaria match could still see Italy through IFFF italy score enough goals. That statement should be corrected, or maybe I am wrong...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)