Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
The big clash of the group. Italy need a win following their set-back against the Danes. Sweden lead the group but a victory for the Azzurri and for Denmark on MD2 would make this group one of the tightest. I can't wait.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I'd go with:

Buffon
Oddo-Nesta-Cannavaro-Favalli
Perrotta-Pirlo
Zambrotta-Totti-Del Piero
Vieri

Won't happen with Trap though. :(

Luigi Vampa

Aug 2, 2003
i dont like traps idea of a 4-2-3-1 since we dont have the players (or he didnt call the players) capable of playing that.

perrotta-zanetti in the middle doesnt work because although theyre strong defensively, they cant offer the link with totti et al thats so important. if it were a relay race, instead of passing him the baton while he started to run, he has to run back half way and grab the baton while zanetti lays on the ground.

pirlo-gattuso/perrotta/zanetti wont work either because pirlo isnt good enough defensively. wed only have one ball winner with that line up and that wont work.

so if we go with a 4-3-2-1 we can have

gattuso pirlo perrotta/zanetti
cassano totti
vieri

oddo and panucci could make runs up the flank and theyd be covered by gattuso and perrotta.

at least thats the way id play it.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
fabiana: why byebye camoranesi ha????
--------------------
To me i think we should really destroy Sweden not only beat them .... I wanna see the real Totti and Del piero ! and i bet it's gonna happen !.....Lets not forget Sweden needs their revange , so it aint gonna be easy game !

Forza Italia !

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm glad Cassano didn't do enough to warrant a starting place, and Fiore was none too impressive either

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Luigi Vampa ] ++
i dont like traps idea of a 4-2-3-1 since we dont have the players (or he didnt call the players) capable of playing that.

perrotta-zanetti in the middle doesnt work because although theyre strong defensively, they cant offer the link with totti et al thats so important. if it were a relay race, instead of passing him the baton while he started to run, he has to run back half way and grab the baton while zanetti lays on the ground.

pirlo-gattuso/perrotta/zanetti wont work either because pirlo isnt good enough defensively. wed only have one ball winner with that line up and that wont work.

cassano totti
vieri

oddo and panucci could make runs up the flank and theyd be covered by gattuso and perrotta.

although i think that the 4-2-3-1 can be implemented nicely by the selected players, your formation is very interesting... though it seems more defensive.
therefore, ensuring that Oddo's at RB would help the offense a bit.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
I think we're gonna struggle to beat Sweden offensively......
Defense doesn't seem to be a problem, Ibrahimovic will be a threat... :D

the phoenix

Aug 8, 2002
Ok after seeing both games today, Sweden looks good, but I am not worried. Although Trap is hell bent to use this 4-2-3-1 I for one would like to see this. Feel free to comment and give your opinions.

..........................................Buffon..................................................

.Oddo.....................Nesta...............Canna..........................Zambro..

..........................................Pirlo.......................................................

.Fiore......................................................................Gattusso............

.........................................Totti........................................................

.....................................................................Del Piero......................
.........................Vieri/Di Vaio.............................................................

I'm thinking that Fiore and Gattusso can switch sides if this won't work, but anyways this is what I wanna see. I think it is more balanced. Oddo and Zambro can attack with Fiore and Gattusso having some defensive capabilities. Pirlo can distribute from the back and create as well taking pressure off Tottio and Del Piero to create everything and having Pirlo can also help solidify a link between defense and attack. Lets face it Pirlo, Gattusso, Del Piero and Zambro all use this setup at the club level, so it is not difficult for them. Pirlo is good and if you surround him with other good players like above it will work. Just think of AC Milan. One last ting I sort of like Di Vaio because of his speed and constant movement.

The game against Sweden will be tough. If Trap can learn from this mistake we should look good, if not say hello to Lippi at WC 2006.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Luigi Vampa ] ++

cassano totti
vieri

And where's Zambrotta? He was probably the only attacking player who actually made sense with the ball today.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

although i think that the 4-2-3-1 can be implemented nicely by the selected players, your formation is very interesting... though it seems more defensive.
therefore, ensuring that Oddo's at RB would help the offense a bit.
Great. The last thing Italy needs is to bring on more defensive players so we can sit back for the whole match this time. :rolleyes:

I think the formation is good, with exception to Perrotta and Zanetti in midfield. I have no clue why the hell Trap plays them. He needs to play Gattuso and Pirlo there. Believe me, it would work. But the biggest thing of all is Italy must attack more, not sit back like today. If they want to win the Euros, they must attack more. Italy played way too lackadaisical against Denmark, and I think they are lucky to escape with a point.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Great. The last thing Italy needs is to bring on more defensive players so we can sit back for the whole match this time. :rolleyes:

I think the formation is good, with exception to Perrotta and Zanetti in midfield. I have no clue why the hell Trap plays them. He needs to play Gattuso and Pirlo there. Believe me, it would work. But the biggest thing of all is Italy must attack more, not sit back like today. If they want to win the Euros, they must attack more. Italy played way too lackadaisical against Denmark, and I think they are lucky to escape with a point.
italy's problem against Denmark wasn't just the selection of players, it was the team's mentality. they sat back too much.. also, all the players really underperformced.. i dont know if it's the heat, but something was wrong.

i was glad to see Buffon and Cannavaro on form. that helped the score a lot.

as most of you already said, DP didn't do shit, and even though i'm a DP fan, i was happy that trap made the substitution. Then i was dissappointed again to see Cassano just as bad as DP and also get himself a yellow card for a classless pull of the oponent's jersey.

Also, it was disgusting watching totti make that foolish tackle at teh end of the game. I didn't expect this from the Roma skipper. glad he's not wearing the arm-band.

anyhow, for next game, i'd like to see Gattusso, Pirlo, and Oddo start.
DP should keep his starting 11 place. I dont care whether Camo or Fiore get the start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)