Euro 2004: Italy - Denmark (Group C) (2 Viewers)

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Art^ ] ++
I would gladly change the midfield. In with Pirlo out with Zanetti

This is a valid point. Pirlo is one of the most gifted players in Europe, and Zanetti just fills a shirt. Perhaps, I am in agreement with one change :D

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
These sets of ratings are all political crap. We all saw the game so we know the truth. The only players who performed their jobs well were: Cannavaro and Nesta for sure were the best. After them Buffon and Zambrotta were decent. Nobody else performed.
Those were my personal ratings

Sep 14, 2003
Del Piero was a bit disappointing, but did not suck. Holden, you are crazy. Do you think Italy failed to win due to any acts or omissions on DP's part? Totti was worse than DP, but who in their right mind would suggest that Totti should be benched?
I was just commenting on some forum users un-wilting loyalty to Del Piero. I'm not interested in comparing his performance with anyone else on the team.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Well that was a hell of a performance by the danes, or was it a shite performance by Italy. Actually watching bulgaria sweden I think the swedes will probably beat you, even the bulgarians are playing more flowing football than you managed. It'll be a struggle unless trap drops perotta-zanetti for pirlo-gattuso imo

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Don, Cassano did nothing, except picking up an immediate yellow card. The entire forward line was starved so nobody up front did anything.

Holdon, Del Piero plays because he is the best Italy has in that position. Why did England bring Beckham with a broken foot to WC2002? Because Beckham at 75% was better than anything else England could offer. Del Piero at 75% is better than Italy can offer at present, and DP's performance was as good as any forward player in the team today. Vieri, Camoranesi, Totti, DP, Fiore, and Cassano all did exactly the same, which was zero.

Eop05

Dec 13, 2002
my ratings

Buffon......7.5
Panucci....6
Nesta.......7
Cannavaro....7.5
Zambrotta....6.5
Zanetti........4.5
Perotta........5
Camoronesi....5
Totti............5.5
Del Piero.....5
Vieri............5.5

Surely, the best players were Buffon Nesta, and Cannavaro with Zambrotta just under them, but the rest were mediocre at best.

The bright spot today was how solid the back line was, especially our Center Defenders (Nesta and Cannavarro). This is the center defending tandem that ANY team would want on their starting team.

Let's hope for the best next game. Before the game I would've hated a draw, but after those 90 minutes and a bit of brilliance from the above 3 mentioned, I'm relieved.

the phoenix

Aug 8, 2002
I'm not sure I agree with some of these ratings, but Del Piero absolutely deserves a better rating than Cassano at LEAST!! Ask yourself did Cassano really play better? Those who say we shouldn't change formation are right simply because we have stuck with this one for so long. The REAL problem is Trap (big surprise) due to his player selection. Fiore should of been there in Camo's spot; Oddo for Panucci (f**k he was slow to do anything and simply showed no heart); Gattusso instead of Perrotta; and hang on to yourself for this one I would of been tempted to put Di Vaio in for Vieri. Why?, because I wanna see the lone striker run aroung like crazy and keep the opposing defenses on their toe by always looking for him. Vieri could of done more imo, but oh well.Our next game is against Sweden and we simply cannot afford to give them space.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
OK.... Dissapointing.

Everyone is said.. but ill still give my opinion.

Like Paolo MOntero said.... we sucked...
IMO the root of the problem was in the zanetti-perrota combo. Trap took the wrong decition again. This 2 guys didnt helped to link the attack with the defence and they didnt gained that lot of balls.

Totti, DP and Vieri were equally bad... but i think that Totti and Vieri did something more than DP. Dp seemed bad, ok, he received not so many passes to start from something.... mistook to many easy passes. The same goes for totti and vieri.
Camo, he last too long with the ball.... IMO Fiore isa better option there.

Those 3, each had one goal opportunity, but ill not take the credit of Sorensen.... who did what a keeper have to do.

The defence, well IMO they were the Proud of Italy. Witha particular display of Cannavaro, the guy was playing like saying "why Maldini?? I can be a great captain too!". Nesta and Zambrotta did more than acceptable and Buffon was there when needed. But all of them shined because of the lame perofrmances of the ones that were in front of them.

The Upcoming game against Sweden will be a REAL Test for the Azurri....and trap will have to figure out what to do.

Shame for DP. I like the guy, but today he was not at his best and i really have doubts about if he will be a starter in the next game.

Cant wait to see what will happen on friday!.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Well well well... and most of you said: Denmark will be eaten for a dinner by Italians.
Bravo Gigi, bravo Sorenson!
I didnt see Sweden-Bulgaria match, but I read that they played really well, and that score 5:0 is impressive.
I cant wait till Italy-Sweden now.

btw: what's that abut Totti? I didnt see the moment, when he got a yellow card, I heard that he deserved to get a red one for faul on someone. So what happened?

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

btw: what's that abut Totti? I didnt see the moment, when he got a yellow card, I heard that he deserved to get a red one for faul on someone. So what happened?
Well a Danish player did a bad back pass at around the midfield line to one of the defenders. Totti was hopping for a chance and tried to grab the loose ball or get it off the defender but ended up doing quite a brutal/ugly "tackle"(more like he kicked the guy's thigh out). But I think Totti had the right idea in mind in trying to get the ball, the tackle itself probably had must to do with desperation and frustration. Good intentions aside, the challenge was quite horrid and thankfully the ref didnt red card him.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003

Holdon, Del Piero plays because he is the best Italy has in that position. Why did England bring Beckham with a broken foot to WC2002? Because Beckham at 75% was better than anything else England could offer. Del Piero at 75% is better than Italy can offer at present, and DP's performance was as good as any forward player in the team today. Vieri, Camoranesi, Totti, DP, Fiore, and Cassano all did exactly the same, which was zero.
That is not saying much because that entire line was uncreative, out of form, etc. This is probably the only time Del Piero played at par with his forwards because they were all lame ducks. How is there any damn justificiation to bench Pirlo?? The system doesn't fit him?? Did you see this system...no creativity...no passing...no team work..no connection..no chemistry. Camoranesi was not even playing a damn position...what was he doing?
Zanetti-Perrotta both?? Give me a freaking break....Fiore a back up??
You know I kept telling myself the whole week that TRAP. is an experienced coach and there is a reason he is excluding Fiore and Pirlo and probably saw something we didn't...yeah..he sure did...he saw the garbage we had to see today.
I think this team can turn it around with some motivation and a few changes.
However, BEWARE..the next game will not test this team as it should..Bulgaria seems to be weak and the press bettern not pull out a blue rosy sky after a two-three goal win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)