[EU] Europa League 2014/15 (8 Viewers)

May 22, 2013
Torino won their game 3-0 tonight. They will go trough witout any problems, they didn't even have Cerci, Quaqliagol or Darmian available. Pretty nice, hopefully the italian teams will have a good european campaign

- - - Updated - - -

Really bad luck to get Sociedad. I believe Aberdeen could have progressed against most opponents, but i can't see them progress here...

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Yes I hope some Italian team will win the EL this time, and stop putting seconds teams in EL to concentrate on Serie A.

We got Fiorentina, Lazio, Inter and hopefully Torino, the first 3 if they place with their first team can be serious contenders.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Poor performance in Spain on Thursday. Quite fortunate to get out of it only two down so the tie is just about still alive going into the second leg.

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Hayes

Robson--Jack--Flood--McGinn

Pawlett

Rooney​

Horribly Delneri-esque tactics. Wingers going really deep and the back four going narrow to pretty much make it a back six. Meant there was little chance to put pressure on Sociedad in midfield and no chance to keep the ball when we got it. Should have played with the team that started in Groningen and that team could have been adjusted to play a back five if required.

Made no sense to play Robson wide because he lacks the pace to spring forward. I wouldn't have played him at all, but he had to play in the middle if he played at all.

So we just got too deep and it was inevitable Sociedad would score sooner or later.

They might be a good side, but we didn't play well enough to make them demonstrate that they are a good side.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, game at Pittodrie is already sold out.

Hopefully we at least manage a decent performance, even if I can see us getting through from 2-0 down.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
draw about to start!

- - - Updated - - -

Sarajevo(BIH) v Mönchengladbach(GER)

Apollon(CYP) v Lokomotiv Moskva(RUS)

Astana(KAZ) v Villarreal(ESP)

Young Boys(SUI) v Debrecen(HUN)

Zwolle(NED) v Sparta Praha(CZE)

Spartak Trnava(SVK) v Zürich(SUI)

Asteras(GRE) v M. Tel-Aviv(ISR)

AEL(CYP) v Tottenham(ENG)

Dnipro(UKR) v Hajduk Split(CRO)

Dinamo Minsk(BLR) v Nacional(POR)

Qarabağ(AZE) v Twente(NED)

Petrolul(ROU) v Dinamo Zagreb(CRO)

HJK(FIN) v Rapid Wien(AUT)

Trabzonspor(TUR) v Rostov(RUS)

Zimbru(MDA) v PAOK(GRE)

Split(CRO) v Torino(ITA)

Omonia(CYP) v Dinamo Moskva(RUS)

Aktobe(KAZ) v Legia(POL)

Lyon(FRA) v Astra(ROU)

Lokeren(BEL) v Hull(ENG)

Neftçi(AZE) v Partizan(SRB)

Ruch(POL) v Metalist(UKR)

Elfsborg(SWE) v Rio Ave(POR)

PSV(NED) v Shakhtyor(BLR)

Karabükspor(TUR) v St-Étienne(FRA)

Stjarnan(ISL) v Internazionale(ITA)

Panathinaikos(GRE) v Midtjylland(DEN)

Feyenoord(NED) v Zorya(UKR)

Grasshoppers(SUI) v Club Brugge(BEL)

Real Sociedad(ESP) v Krasnodar(RUS)

Rijeka(CRO) v Sheriff(MDA)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Decent effort from Aberdeen, but too many stupid defensive errors (mostly from Logan) over the two games.

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Considine

Jack
Flood-----------Hayes

Pawlett

Goodwillie-McGinn​

4-3-1-2 may have been the right system to use against Real Sociedad in theory, but having not played it before I'm not convinced changing to it was the righ call from McInnes. I regard it as a really hard system to play and it was clear Aberdeen weren't accustomed to it. The movement and positioning of the players on the side of the diamond was never right and caused problems all night. There was also the issue that the system demands playing in tight spaces (certainly when playing without a target man, as Aberdeen did) and we were always just slightly short of the technique and awareness required to play though the centre of the pitch.

Still, Sociedad never looked like creating anything in the first half - it was just stupid mistakes from us (mostly Flood) gifting them chances.

Where there was some success was when we sucked them out to a flank and got a cross in. We consistently got an extra man into the box at the back post and that was what the first goal came from.

Game ended when Pawlett went off and another striker came on. There was no-one to link the play. The gap between midfield and the forwards became too big and we couldn't keep the ball. That allowed the game to stretch and we tired pretty quickly after that.

Decent effort at times, but there was no realistic prospect of progressing after the score in the first game.

Bugy_uyIQAA6flh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not something I'd been paying attention to in recent years as Aberdeen hadn't been in Europe, but the system just now is ridiculously skewed in favour of teams from the 'top' leagues.

With all we have historically achieved in Europe - and we were still in Europe past Xmas as recently as 07/08 - we weren't even seeded for the second qualifyind round, never mind the third. We were unlucky in both draws in that we got just about the hardest opposition possible in both cases.

Contrast that to Hull who had never qualified for European football prior to this season. I don't object to them skipping a couple of qualifying rounds on the basis on the EPL's strong co-efficient, but I can't see the justification for Hull also being awarded a high enough inidividual co-efficient to ensure that they would be seeded in the draw.

Why were they awarded such a generous rating to start with?

It's not even like they qualified for Europe through the league - they got in for losing the FA Cup final. To earn their spot in UEFA competition with a better co-efficient than us, they beat the grand total of one premier league team (Sunderland) during their cup run.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Any streams about for the Torino game?

All the ones I'm seeing advertised as showing Torino are showing Inter.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Almost forgot, ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΑ ΛΕΜΕΣΟΥ ΘΥΡΑ-1!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)