Essien on Juve wish list (2 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Juventus in Essien link
Friday 25 February, 2005

Juventus are pondering a summer bid for Lyon ace Michael Essien, according to reports in France.

The ‘L’Equipe’ newspaper claims that Juventus Vice-president Roberto Bettega watched the midfielder in action against Monaco last week.

Essien, a 22-year-old Ghanaian, is a realistic target as the Old Lady are expected to sell both Alessio Tacchinardi and Stephan Appiah in the summer.

Essien’s agent has also fuelled the rumours of a Turin switch even if he admitted that the Italian outfit had not been in touch.

"I know that Juventus are interested," stated Fabien Pivetau. "However, there has been no direct contact with them."

The current Serie A leaders are not the only ones keen on the player though, given that Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Arsenal have all made enquiries.

channel4.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
He's another Emerson but suckier. There's better non-EU players out there.

I saw the game Lyon-Monaco and was very impressed with Maicon(RB). Essien was hot tempered and with Juve he would get red carded once every two game. He's good but I'd take Giannichedda for free this summer.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
if he is decent for lyon he is mediocre for juve, appiah would do well there too, we sould loan him there win a championiship and sell him big!
i hope bettega wasnt looking for him,
Lyon and Monaco have so many players who can join us

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Essien is a brilliant young player. He reminds me of Emerson every time a watch him, and sometimes I think that Essien will actually surpass the Brazilian in terms of quality in a few years. He gives Lyon bite and grit in midfield, and he certainly is not bad at attacking either. Essien is surely an upgrade to Blasi in all areas of ability, and hopefully Moggi will obtain his services because he will become world class.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++

I saw the game Lyon-Monaco and was very impressed with Maicon(RB). Essien was hot tempered and with Juve he would get red carded once every two game. He's good but I'd take Giannichedda for free this summer.

Essien blows Giannichedda out of the water. Essien does all the dirty work for Lyon and is one of their key players.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++

Maicon played a blinder against Monaco and would imo be a very good purchase especially if we change formation and use something with a back three. He's perfect for the wide midfield role in a 3-4-3 because he plays as a full back in a four man defence but is an extremely attacking player. I wouldn't mind something like this in a couple of years:

Buffon
    Kompany Barzagli Cannavaro
    Maicon Emerson Essien Zambrotta
    Riquelme
    Ibrahimovic Mutu

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Essien blows Giannichedda out of the water. Essien does all the dirty work for Lyon and is one of their key players.
    Yeah, Essien is a lot better than Giannichedda. If Capello is going to continue playing with two defensive midfielders the Lyon man would be an excellent acquisition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)