EPL Bullshit (3 Viewers)

Apr 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
Henry not so good in europe?come on yeah he might not take on 3-4 players all by himself like what he does against Norwich,West Brom,Blackburn e.t.c but he's got 34 goals in the CL which is rather good seeing to the fact that Ronaldo(9) doesnt even have half that amount,i'm not sure about Shevchenko but all the juve strikers put together dont have that amount:cheesy:
The only thing that proves is that the people that surround Henry are not as good as the players that surround Ronaldo.

If one player has like 30 goals in the CL, the team is not as strong as a team whos mid and attacking players each average around 8 - 12.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I would take Ronaldo over Henry any day of the week. Look at the World Cups and the performances in the Champions League between the two players. Ronaldo performs consistently in those while Henry has not done anything spectaculor, especially giving miserable performances in the 2002 WC and Euro 2004.

Apr 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
I would take Ronaldo over Henry any day of the week. Look at the World Cups and the performances in the Champions League between the two players. Ronaldo performs consistently in those while Henry has not done anything spectaculor, especially giving miserable performances in the 2002 WC and Euro 2004.
I disagree.

I would rather have Henry, and I bet Juve would love to have him back too.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Hey, the facts speak for themselves. Ronaldo has been one of the best players ever in all of the competitions he has played in, while Henry is great in the EPL but cannot do much outside of that. Its like choosing a Mazda Miata instead of a BMW 745i.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002

Right, so every top League is overrated just because the EPL is. What an arguement.

Once in 15 years denco, once...

Defoe? I can name a bunch of strikers that are better than Defoe. Shevchenko, Adriano, Gilardino, Ibrahimovic, Bojinov, Martins....hell, even Di Michele....

Yeah, they are not bad players. Have you ever wondered why Henry is so good in the EPL but not so in Europe, denco? I have an idea, maybe its because the defenses are much better in Europe, especially with Spanish and Italian sides. Sure Henry looks like the best striker in the world in the EPL, however, it would not be the case if he came to Italy.

denco, no offense, but you speak like a true Englishman on this subject. The EPL is overrated because so many pundits, fans, journalists call the league the best in the world. However, this cannot be the case with the record of English teams in the Champions League and by watching enough matches you will see that the level of defending is quite horrid compared to that in Italy. Sure, this might make the game more exciting, but just because many goals are scored does not mean its the best in the world. Maybe the EPL is more exciting to fans who like fast pace football, and hate defending. But I cannot accept people saying that the EPL is the best in the world when players and teams over in Italy have to break through some of the best defenses in the world. This compared with free-for-all defending, seems much more impressive. But people still say that the EPL is the best in the world. I guess there will always be fans who know nothing about football.
Have you ever seen me say Epl is better than SerieA, if so please highlight where

Every league is overrated in their own way and i never claimed the Epl to be the best in the world, but I would never countenance any garbage that it is a bad league

I am not even gonna reply to your suggestion that Bojinov, Martins and Di michele are better than Defoe as its a complete waste of my time. The guy is a talent and because he is not in SerieA the snubs here would sniff at how good he is

You keep going on and on about how terrible Henry is in Europe but there cannot be that many serieA players who have scored more in the Cl, yes he is a choker but so is Totti, Dp and so many others in SerieA

Again its a fallacy to say that the strikers come against the best defences in the world week in week out as they surely do not as the defending by Roma, lazio, Atalanta, Lecce, parma, Sienna, and the rest of them save for Milan and Juve is just as bad as anything you see in the Epl.

I just saw a great comeback by Inter against Sampdoria but if it was you and this was the Epl, it would be that it was bad defending by Sampdoria who weree 2-0 in the 87th minute and still lost 3-2 but since its serieA its great display by Inter which really should be what we sould be talking about not some silly nonsense about how tactical and organised a team is.
The fact is forget about all that crap about tactical nous, if you go for it and u have the quality most of the time you will win and thats what most Epl sides try to do, they always go for a win, trouble is that most do not have the sufficent quality but they all try, not what i would say about SerieA, sides who always try not to lose

@ baggio, how is it possible you say how much quality there is in SerieA all round and then say that teams who come from a lower division and hold more than their own in almost every season from the past few years , bears out your argument. Surely it means that the teams that are there already are just escaping relegation not because they are good but the ones that were relegated were worse

Or are you now saying the the fact that EXETER drew with man united makes them good and the quality of the conference is fantastic?

I can assure you when SerieA was far and awy the best league with at least 12 quality teams , those that came up will do well to win more than 5 games a season let alone be 4th or 5th

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

Again its a fallacy to say that the strikers come against the best defences in the world week in week out as they surely do not as the defending by Roma, lazio, Atalanta, Lecce, parma, Sienna, and the rest of them save for Milan and Juve is just as bad as anything you see in the Epl.
That is where your arguement goes down the tube. I guess you are not that big on observing tactics, but clubs such as Sampdoria and Palermo are superior to most EPL sides when it comes to defending. In fact sides all the way up from Messina are superior defensively to English sides, save Lecce. The latter to me defends like an EPL team, but the difference there is that they know how to attack in the Serie A. You can tell the superiority of the Serie A to the EPL in terms of defending just by watching both leagues week in and week out, and I think its a fallacy to not admit that. I see goals week after week in the EPL that stem from stupid mistakes that I very rarely see in the Serie A, like not closing down players on the edge of the 18. Lets not forget about the the "ball-watching" disease that plagues most Premiership defenses and the subsequent holes created. This is something you rarely find in the Serie A. No offense, but you must be blind if you do not see that.

I just saw a great comeback by Inter against Sampdoria but if it was you and this was the Epl, it would be that it was bad defending by Sampdoria who weree 2-0 in the 87th minute and still lost 3-2 but since its serieA its great display by Inter which really should be what we sould be talking about not some silly nonsense about how tactical and organised a team is.
Yeah, who cares about tactics. Surely has no importance at all in football. No wonder why English sides are so pathetic in Europe.

The fact is forget about all that crap about tactical nous, if you go for it and u have the quality most of the time you will win and thats what most Epl sides try to do, they always go for a win, trouble is that most do not have the sufficent quality but they all try, not what i would say about SerieA, sides who always try not to lose
So that is your arguement, that the EPL is not overrated because the sides try to win all the time? Your generalizations contradict your ideas about the importance of tactics in football. I know that the English are not too fond of tactics, but tactics are a very essential part of the game. The EPL is not about tactics it seems, and that is one of the reasons why English sides suck in Europe. So for this reason, among others, the EPL is not the best league in the world and is actually overrated.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
The Miata is quicker and handles better, the BMW is just faster, so it depends on what you want.

the 745i isn't supossed to be a sports car, but it still is faster. I'd take it over the miata any day of the week :D

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
baggio, how is it possible you say how much quality there is in SerieA all round and then say that teams who come from a lower division and hold more than their own in almost every season from the past few years , bears out your argument. Surely it means that the teams that are there already are just escaping relegation not because they are good but the ones that were relegated were worse

Or are you now saying the the fact that EXETER drew with man united makes them good and the quality of the conference is fantastic?

I can assure you when SerieA was far and awy the best league with at least 12 quality teams , those that came up will do well to win more than 5 games a season let alone be 4th or 5th
Denco, what your failing to see is the likes of the smaller clubs in the Serie A emerging, which in turn is creating a balance in the league, like it was in its more eminent years. Your argument may be that the likes of Parma, Roma and Lazio dont have the fight in them any more. But if the competition was weak, even the weakened Lazio, Roma and Parma would still be ahead of the likes of these small timers. But in the EPL, even a Tottenham or Aston Villa remain midtable despite their sub par perfomances because they face no competition from a Southampton or Birmingham city. Let me give you Parma's example. The level of competition in the Serie A is now on the ascendancy and a team like Parma is in the relegation zone. At the same time, they're more than capable of putting it past a Juve or a Milan.

Time and again, ive stated being a fast paced league doesnt qualify the EPL to be number 1. It has no balance, it lacks healthy competition within itself and i think we know how it stands as far as defense and tactics go. It certainly has some way to go, before it holds the distinction of being the best in the world.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002

That is where your arguement goes down the tube. I guess you are not that big on observing tactics, but clubs such as Sampdoria and Palermo are superior to most EPL sides when it comes to defending. In fact sides all the way up from Messina are superior defensively to English sides, save Lecce. The latter to me defends like an EPL team, but the difference there is that they know how to attack in the Serie A. You can tell the superiority of the Serie A to the EPL in terms of defending just by watching both leagues week in and week out, and I think its a fallacy to not admit that. I see goals week after week in the EPL that stem from stupid mistakes that I very rarely see in the Serie A, like not closing down players on the edge of the 18. Lets not forget about the the "ball-watching" disease that plagues most Premiership defenses and the subsequent holes created. This is something you rarely find in the Serie A. No offense, but you must be blind if you do not see that.

Yeah, who cares about tactics. Surely has no importance at all in football. No wonder why English sides are so pathetic in Europe.

So that is your arguement, that the EPL is not overrated because the sides try to win all the time? Your generalizations contradict your ideas about the importance of tactics in football. I know that the English are not too fond of tactics, but tactics are a very essential part of the game. The EPL is not about tactics it seems, and that is one of the reasons why English sides suck in Europe. So for this reason, among others, the EPL is not the best league in the world and is actually overrated.
Your bias is obvious from the word go and your arguments are to be honest pathetic

You say english sides suck in Europe but try and tell me that Italian sides do not

Milan aside, Italian sides have been less than inspiring in Europe, and please do not mention Juventus.

Yes you are big on tactics because for some reason you wanna prove that you know about football but from your posts its obvious that you know very little as everything to you is black and white , no grey areas.

The fact that in Italy , they do not actually attack with pace but take thier time actually evades your thinking faculty

I am not gonna bore with you with all the times that English sides have met Italian sides and seen what has happened to the so called defensive king pins, but just to refresh Arsenal5 Inter1, Roma 0 Liverpool2, Arsenal 3 Juve1, Roma 0 Arsenal3 Lazio0 Chelsea4
These results are not because of any tactical jargon you wanna spew out , its as a result of these so called tactically inept teams as u call them going for the jugular and the Italian teams not being able to cope with the pace coming at them

Its all well and good facing eachother , where the underdog is not interested in attacking but picking their moments and maybe 3 attacks in a game, how would you concede if the opposition just attacks in that way

Yes the Italian game is more to my liking but its not the be all and end all and because its to your taste, does not mean you or anybody else has the right to make a mockery of the English game cos its more politically correct to do so than maybe anyother country save America

There is nothing wrong with the English game and a lot of ppl all over the world would rather watch it than Italian, not because of the language as some ppl have alluded but for majority of ppl who are not football snubs just wanna be entertained and to them its all about goal mouth action not some chess game, they like it and prefer it

Baggio , I do not even know what you are talking about, Parma are struggling becos of financila probs but that will not deter them from raising their game against Juve becos of the hatred they have for us just like Leeds will do against Man united. It does not confirm or deny how good the league is, thats just about rivalry. The fact still remains that the lies of Messina, Udinese, palermo, Calgiari Chievo before them can shine in SerieA nowadays but I guarantee you they will be knocked out without failure in European competion at the first hurdle every time

Jul 28, 2002
Imo, EPL is the most entertaining, simple, in my books it does its job at entertaining, therefore the best as that is what u want when u watch football.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Your bias is obvious from the word go and your arguments are to be honest pathetic
My bias? Everyone has some sort of bias denco, including yourself. Look at your location. I don't know if you are English or not, but if you are no wonder why you fight for your home league. That is very commendable and I wish I could do the same here.

You say english sides suck in Europe but try and tell me that Italian sides do not
I hope you know about the facts denco, including one final in 16 years to Italy's 10. I do not want to bore you with the facts again. However, the facts above help prove my overall point.

Yes you are big on tactics because for some reason you wanna prove that you know about football but from your posts its obvious that you know very little as everything to you is black and white , no grey areas.
What a humble thing to say denco. You have to resort to that kind of naive opinion? What a shame. Jog on, thats not an honest arguement.

As a matter of fact Mister, I might watch as much English soccer as you do. I have been able to watch more EPL matches than Serie A in my lifetime. So don't be sticking your nose where it shouldn't be.

Actually, I'll just use the Platonic response for this one: I know nothing about football.

Yes the Italian game is more to my liking but its not the be all and end all and because its to your taste, does not mean you or anybody else has the right to make a mockery of the English game cos its more politically correct to do so than maybe anyother country save America
And you wonder why I call the EPL overrated. At least I recognize that the EPL, Serie A, and La Liga are the three best leagues in the world...

There is nothing wrong with the English game and a lot of ppl all over the world would rather watch it than Italian, not because of the language as some ppl have alluded but for majority of ppl who are not football snubs just wanna be entertained and to them its all about goal mouth action not some chess game, they like it and prefer it
I never said there was anything wrong with the English game. I have said time and time again that it is a very exciting league. The high paced action of the EPL does make it attractive, and very fun to watch. However that does not make it quote unquote "the best league in the world." I just cannot accept that. It is a very exciting league, but in my case I love seeing organization and tactics being utilized on the pitch. It's almost like a chess match, or a battle between two armies. That is football to me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)