English is a stupid language (1 Viewer)

Muha

The Head Physio
Feb 25, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Vicky ] ++
hmm good theory
sooo then
if a person does stupid things that doesn't mean they're stupid ?
so ..... would you call me SMART ?
lol

perhaps you could land some sense of humor from someone and laugh with us ? you know it was supposed to be funny right ?
there is no ham in hamburger ;)
exactly :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
There is one thing about english that confuses me, it is when people say:
"Don't do nothing!"
It should be "don't do anything".
"Don't do nothing" is officially wrong though. It's just slang and, every language has slang!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

It's hard for me to believe that there is an exact age when that happens, I'm pretty sure it's different for all people.
who says anything about exact...." around 14"... so give or take a couple of years.

i guess it must have to do with the changes that occur during puberty! :confused:

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

14 is the average age Martin and it's actually the exact age for the vast majority of people too.
Thank you... :stress:

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
puberty ...... you're right about that
like if you learn a new language after puberty you'll always have atleast a bit of an accent ......

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
who says anything about exact...." around 14"... so give or take a couple of years.

i guess it must have to do with the changes that occur during puberty! :confused:
Well yeah but I doubt the theorem is all. I don't have any scientific research to back me up, it just doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure there are people of all ages who have a talent for picking up a new language. Or am I just accounting for the exceptions now? Not even sure myself. :undecide:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
puberty ...... you're right about that
like if you learn a new language after puberty you'll always have atleast a bit of an accent ......
also true for most cases :)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

Well yeah but I doubt the theorem is all. I don't have any scientific research to back me up, it just doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure there are people of all ages who have a talent for picking up a new language. Or am I just accounting for the exceptions now? Not even sure myself. :undecide:
It's not math where it's true for 100% of the cases ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Yes, there are people with a born talent to learn languages but even these people find it harder to pick up a new language after (roughly) the age of 14.

There's just a limit to what the brain can do, if you will. For instance, if you want to raise a child bi-lingual so that it speaks two languages fluently, you HAVE to have one parent speaking one language to the child at all times and the other parent speaking another language to the child at all times and you HAVE to start right after birth. From the first words you say to it.

It's not exactly known why, but it's a scientifically proven fact that this is the best method by far.

I study languages, I know what I'm talking about :)

OP
Lilianna

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #54
    Majed - how sad i started learning english when i was 14 and a half ..... i guess i would've slacked off in a came here a year earlier ? or two :)

Graham - i think you should stop you know too many words already !:p

Lilianna - i like that little poem thing you posted, very funny.
    but i have a lil theory to go with it, i think that's exactly the stuff that makes the basic conversational english so easy - some words don't make any sense at all and that's why they get stuck in your head.
    yes i know!
    i love english very much and i don't find it stupid...but this was funny!!

ah...if you knew how many stupid thing greek language has :LOL::LOL:

OP
    Lilianna

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #55
    "Don't do nothing!"
    well yes,this is the right one.
    i don't do anything!!!

when i start learning english...that was confusing me too...
    because in greek,we say i don't do nothing.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    "Don't do nothing!"

its slang. i know english is crazy. its an american thing :D more specifically an ebonics thing :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Then again, people hit puberty at very different ages, some very very late. Just look at Erik :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)