English is a stupid language (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Actually I agree with Majed, he put it well

English can be picked up fairly easily as a conversational language, but when it comes to the niggly bits, it's a bugger of a language to perfect

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
majed thats not an accurate evaluation because i never learned english with rules etc. it came naturally for me- starting conversationally.

but learning a second language in class needs rules etc
it's not accurate in your case because my argument is about learning English not picking it up at an earlier age. anyone can pickup any language when they're young. This stops at around 14, then learning any language is tougher and most likely requires texts and reading about rules. This is where the language xomplexity comes in to determine how difficult it is to pickup.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
This is where the language xomplexity comes in
Wow, I've been speaking English for 18 years, and I'm still learning new words every day :eek:

OP
Lilianna

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #34
    you dont say sooooooooooooooooooooo and noooooooooooooooooo with many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!s and ???????????????????s when you talk?
    :rofl: i don't ;)

OP
    Lilianna

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #35
    majed thats not an accurate evaluation because i never learned english with rules etc. it came naturally for me- starting conversationally.

but learning a second language in class needs rules etc
    i know...learning a labguage with rulez etc...it's sooooooo boring!!!!!! :wallbang:

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    Majed - how sad i started learning english when i was 14 and a half ..... i guess i would've slacked off in a came here a year earlier ? or two :)

Graham - i think you should stop you know too many words already !:p

Lilianna - i like that little poem thing you posted, very funny.
    but i have a lil theory to go with it, i think that's exactly the stuff that makes the basic conversational english so easy - some words don't make any sense at all and that's why they get stuck in your head.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    it's not accurate in your case because my argument is about learning English not picking it up at an earlier age. anyone can pickup any language when they're young. This stops at around 14, then learning any language is tougher and most likely requires texts and reading about rules. This is where the language xomplexity comes in to determine how difficult it is to pickup.
    It's hard for me to believe that there is an exact age when that happens, I'm pretty sure it's different for all people.

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    i think every languge has its own "stupid stuff" in it ... but that doesnt mean that the languge itself is stupid

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    hmm good theory
    sooo then
    if a person does stupid things that doesn't mean they're stupid ?
    so ..... would you call me SMART ?
    lol

perhaps you could land some sense of humor from someone and laugh with us ? you know it was supposed to be funny right ?
    there is no ham in hamburger ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)