[ENG] Premiership 2012/2013 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fred,,

Have you read this article:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/ed...re-why-alex-song-is-one-of-the-most-overrated

I'm interested to know your view. The article does have a point with the main responsibility of Alex Song as anchor man. But Song with 14 assists last season also an impressive statistic
I think he goes too far to be honest. Song is indeed not disciplined enough as a DM, we have shipped in a few goals because of his lack of discipline, but he's making it look like he's the main reason for us shipping in so many goals, and he's not to be honest. We don't defend well as a unit generally, we play possession football when we always have a player or two in midfield that are just not good enough technically for that kind of football, it always ends up in us losing the ball, and being exposed to counter attacks. So i'd say our tactics are more to blame for us conceding that many goals over the years, more than it is the fault of individual players.

I also think Song had an amazing season last year, and was rightfully chosen by the fans as our second best player(although one could also make a compelling argument for Arteta). I do think however, that he punched above his weight last season, he reveled in being the main man in midfield, and i doubt he'd replicate that form again.

That being said, if we continue playing possession football(and we will), i think a player like M'Vila would suit us more than Song. When you play such a high defensive line, you need your midfield to constantly press the opposition when not in possession, playing a high line without a high pressure game in midfield is suicide. Song can be guilty of being too lazy sometimes, and does not always press the opposition when he should. Bringing in a more dynamic ball winner in midfield such as M'Vila could be beneficial to us in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)