[ENG] Premiership 2008/2009 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

To follow up on a discussion I had with Fred and Red.

Redknapp hails 'bargain' Modric and denies rift with Sunderland

Harry Redknapp has paid tribute to the impact Luka Modric has made in his debut season in the Premier League, saying the Croatian is good enough to play for any club in the world. However, the Tottenham Hotspur manager has no intention of cashing in on the midfielder, even if he has turned the head of arguably the keenest eye for talent in the game.

"Alex Ferguson said to me after the game last week that he thought Modric was fantastic," said Redknapp yesterday, referring to the Carling Cup final against Ferguson's Manchester United. "He changed how they played because of him. [Ferguson] said: 'I took [John] O'Shea off and changed our system because Modric was causing us so many problems.'" Redknapp, in the past almost dismissive of his predecessor Juande Ramos's time at the club, hailed the Spaniard's £16.5m signing of Modric as a bargain.

"I think he could play for anyone, he's that good. He's a fantastic footballer, amazing player, great brain," he said. "Not only is he a great footballer, he's strong, he works for the team, takes knocks and gets on with it." The Croatia international has started 23 of Tottenham's 27 league games to date but Redknapp said he still does not know the 23-year-old's best position.

"I don't know, really. I played him off the front, I've played him wide left and he plays central in a 4-4-2. Against Stoke he was fantastic in the middle of the park, against a physical team, and he was the best player on the pitch that night.

"It's all right having a team that can pass but sooner or later you have to give the ball to someone who can do something, like Man United with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez," he added. " They have got people who can suddenly kill you and that's important. Modric is that type for me, he is important."

Redknapp is pleased with the effect Robbie Keane's return has had in the dressing room, reiterating his surprise that Liverpool were willing to sell the striker and suggesting that if he had thought it was possible Tottenham would not have made a bid for Kenwyne Jones in January. ThatRedknapp's approach for Kenwyne Jones in January riled Ricky Sbragia, the Sunderland manager, whom Redknapp faces tomorrow for the first time, with the Black Cats' manager saying it was wrong that Tottenham "make sure the whole world knows" when they want a player.

Redknapp dismissed suggestions of any lingering ill will between the clubs. "I will see Ricky and have a glass of wine with him [today]. It's not a problem. I think Niall [Quinn, Sunderland chairman] was quite pleased they got a big offer for one of their players. I saw Niall last week at Ars*enal and had a cup of tea with him. We had a chat and I get on well with Niall Quinn and Ricky Sbragia."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way will he sell him. Not soon, that is. I just hope he sticks with him in the middle as that is by far his best position on the pitch.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yup i knew Redknapp rated him before i read what he said. Its obvious imo, he bases Tottenham's whole gameplay around him. Only problem is, he doesn't always play in his favored position where he can control the tempo of the game and get as much of the ball as he can. Always rated him, ever since i saw him against England.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Tottenham are a horrible, horrible team. They are like Newcastle². Modric was unrecognisable yesterday, again lost on the pitch without a specific role given to him with play constantly shifted to the wings(Lennon is a menace though). I don't what Harry is doing, saying give the ball to Modric all the time, etc., when he does tactics like that. They didn't deserve the draw.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Sick goal by Eduardo today. Hope he gets minutes against Roma, he'd absolutely destroy them. Our attack is different with him in the team, he works so well in tight spaces and if you just give him half a meter he'd score. We don't have that in our team right now, that killer instinct and i believe Eduardo gives that to us.

Arshavin is showing promising signs too, some of his touches have been absolutely magical. I'm optimistic about next season, that is if we get a ball winning midfielder.

The attacking quality is there. When everybody's fit, we have Cesc, Rosicky, Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri, Van Persie, Vela, Adebayor and Eduardo. Thats not half bad now, is it?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Very opposite actually. ;) By the way I never asked you I think,whats your opinion about Vela?

Still,Nasri pretty much chocked this season and it's really sad Rosicky is always injured.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Very opposite actually. ;) By the way I never asked you I think,whats your opinion about Vela?

Still,Nasri pretty much chocked this season and it's really sad Rosicky is always injured.

I think the kid is talented. But he needs to work a bit on his decision making, and he needs to bulk up a bit and get used to the physical side of the Premiership. He's a very good finisher, and he's got bags of pace. We're wasting him by playing him on the wing, today he played as a striker and showed Arsene how good he is there.

Nasri was thrown into the mix a bit too early imo. Arsene should have kept Hleb for another year, so that the responsibility wouldn't be completely thrown on Nasri's shoulders. He's no Robert Pires, but i do think he'd be a decent player when he adapts fully to the Premiership.

Rosicky is a sad case indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)