[ENG] Premiership 2007/2008 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Inter Close To Landing Hleb

Arsenal's Belarussian misfielder, Alexander Hleb, is said to be closer than ever to a move to Internazionale...With Mathieu Flamini having already signed for AC Milan, it seems as if Hleb is now on the verge of a move to the rossoneri's city rivals, Inter.

The nerazzurri's interest in the Belarussian international is well-established and long-running, but it now seems as though concrete steps towards a transfer are in the offing.

With the English Premier League season set to end this week, and Serie A to conclude shortly afterwards, the time is ripe for a switch to take place.

Show Me The Money

Inter are confident that the player would jump at the chance to switch to the San Siro, given that they are prepared to significantly boost his current salary of £50,000 (€63,500) per week.

The question, then, is whether or not a transfer fee is involved. Should Hleb wish to invoke the controversial 'Article 17' of FIFA's transfer regulations, he could in fact buy out the final two years of his contract.

This would bypass Inter's needing to remunerate Arsenal to any great extent, with the Gunners otherwise perhaps seeking to recoup some of the £11.2m (approx. €14m) that they paid to Stuttgart three seasons ago.

Time To Move On?

That it was three seasons ago is key. Hleb, being under 28, needs to serve either three years or three seasons - whichever comes first - in the red and white before he is eligible for an Article 17 move. As soon as the current campaign formally ends, he will have done so.

Whether or not he chooses to exercise this option at the end of June, though, is another matter. Still, The Times contends that he will almost certainly do so.

It is thought that the 27-year-old has already confided in his colleagues that he is ready and willing to make the switch to Italy, and that it is a matter of when, not if, he will do so.

Goal.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Only problem of Hleb leaving is that we have to rebuild our midfield all over again, meaning we wont win the title next year. Other than that, we've successfully replaced players like Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira, who the fuck is Hleb?!!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Cesc will stay, he always talks about how grateful he is to Arsene for making him the player he is, I'm not so sure about Hleb, i do hope he stays for another year at least.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Fred, what do you think Arsenal can do to stop many of Europe's top clubs seeing you as a selling club?

It is getting ridiculous. Arsenal are one of the top sides in the world in terms of income and yet are seen as being way behind Man Utd and Chelsea.

I know that building the Emirates put you into debt, but surely you can afford to pay bigger wages than Wenger is currently willing to?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fred, what do you think Arsenal can do to stop many of Europe's top clubs seeing you as a selling club?

It is getting ridiculous. Arsenal are one of the top sides in the world in terms of income and yet are seen as being way behind Man Utd and Chelsea.

I know that building the Emirates put you into debt, but surely you can afford to pay bigger wages than Wenger is currently willing to?
Tbh its something thats been bugging me for a while too.

I think the whole problem stems from the fact that most football players nowadays are driven by money first and football second, the fact that Arsene doesnt like to pay over the odds on player wages while other big teams are willing to offer those players big wages, will naturally make those players want to leave. I dont believe those players came to Arsenal thinking of it as a stepping stone(most of them were nobodys anyway) and i also dont believe clubs view us as a selling club per say. More like they think they can take advantage of our reluctance to pay over the odds.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
The fact that Arsenal bank on youth so much will mean that some of their best talents will leave the team one day.The trouble with banking on the youth too much is that it'll take you close to trophies,i'll win you the neutral man's support,but it wont make the one final leap thats needed to win trophies,just like this season.Wenger does a geat job at developing young players,but because youth does not guarantee you trophies day in and day out,the hot prospects are likely to leave for another team that does guarantee you trophies.Its like a circle.Wenger gets the players,developed them,they have a great yet trophyless season,and then the youngsters leave for other teams..and then Wenger is back to square one.Situatations like Viera and Henry dont repeat themsleves everytime.If Wenger wants to keep his youngsters at Arsenal,he'll need to invest in 'un young' top class players too.Players that the youngsters can play under the shadow of for a while.

Another thing which i think hurts Arsenal is their over dependance on foriegn talent.When you'll buy youngsters from Spain,France etc,the chances are that they'd want to move abroad sometime too.This wont be the situation with english players.They'd feel much more comortable in the EPL.When you look at some of Arsenal's most promising youngsters,very few,if any,are British players.They need to solve this dilemme too.Get more English players in,so the danger of players wanting moves abroad can be minimized.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The fact that Arsenal bank on youth so much will mean that some of their best talents will leave the team one day.The trouble with banking on the youth too much is that it'll take you close to trophies,i'll win you the neutral man's support,but it wont make the one final leap thats needed to win trophies,just like this season.Wenger does a geat job at developing young players,but because youth does not guarantee you trophies day in and day out,the hot prospects are likely to leave for another team that does guarantee you trophies.Its like a circle.Wenger gets the players,developed them,they have a great yet trophyless season,and then the youngsters leave for other teams..and then Wenger is back to square one.Situatations like Viera and Henry dont repeat themsleves everytime.If Wenger wants to keep his youngsters at Arsenal,he'll need to invest in 'un young' top class players too.Players that the youngsters can play under the shadow of for a while.

Another thing which i think hurts Arsenal is their over dependance on foriegn talent.When you'll buy youngsters from Spain,France etc,the chances are that they'd want to move abroad sometime too.This wont be the situation with english players.They'd feel much more comortable in the EPL.When you look at some of Arsenal's most promising youngsters,very few,if any,are British players.They need to solve this dilemme too.Get more English players in,so the danger of players wanting moves abroad can be minimized.
I thought of this point as a reason too before but then i thought of Cashley, Bentley and Campbell who prove that the English arent any better than foreigners themselves.

dao_nq

Feb 6, 2008
Hey, do you guys remember anything of 1966 World Cup? I remember that England did cheated in that year, especially in the final match against West Germany. Is it right? I've googled but nothing more than controverial goal..

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Hey, do you guys remember anything of 1966 World Cup? I remember that England did cheated in that year, especially in the final match against West Germany. Is it right? I've googled but nothing more than controverial goal..
i've heard about this too, apparently the ball did'nt cross the goal line and it was called a legit goal not soo sure if thats the incident u r talking about but thats what they had in one of the documentries i watched recently unfortunetly i had the volume on mute.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
The ball hit the bar and bounced down and out, the linesman said it was a goal, even though it was clearly not.

From wiki:
With the score level at 2-2 at the end of 90 minutes, the game went to extra time. In the 98th minute Hurst found himself on the score sheet again; his shot hit the crossbar, bounced down into the goalmouth just.[7] It has been debated ever since whether it did cross the line, which would have made a crucial difference, since the score towards the end of extra time would have remained at 2-2, and West Germany would not have allowed Hurst the space to score what would have been the third goal. Whether the ball crossed the goal line or not has been a matter of discussion for decades, and the controversial call has become part of World Cup history. Recent digitally-enhanced footage is said to clearly illustrate that Geoff Hurst's second goal did not cross the line [1].

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Here's a video of the goal you're looking for:

Doesn't look like a goal to me.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
From a totally neutral point of veiw:)D) I can reveal that England are a bunch of cheats and the ball never crossed the line.

Interestingly, the Russian linesman who gave the goal had fought against the Germans in WWII, but I'm sure he wasn't biased at all...

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Reports here heavily suggesting Hleb is destined for Inter and that Kranjcar is the probably replacement. They don't say anything about how much it will cost Arsenal. Fred?

Kranjcar was always a good player in my book, even when everyone completelly gave up on him, after leaving Dinamo for Hajduk. He has football in his legs and in his head, the two most important things. He's not much of a runner but many players made their career with just their technique, hint; one of the best midfielders ever, Robert Prosinecki. Even though Kranjcar has improved his fitness a lot after two years in Portsmouth, I'm sceptical over his mixing in with the Arsenal fast-style of play. He definetly has the stuff to adapt to their quick passing game, however, how his pace will work with them is what worries me..

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Agent: Hleb to quit Gunners
Friday 09 May 2008

Unsettled midfielder Aleksandr Hleb will leave Arsenal this summer, according to his agent.

The Belarus international has been strongly linked with a move to Internazionale in recent weeks and agent Nikolai Shpilevski believes it is inevitable that his client will quit the Emirates Stadium.

Reports claim the 27-year-old, who joined the Gunners from Stuttgart three years ago and has scored ten times in 129 appearances, is looking to buy himself out of the remaining two years of his contract.

"Alexander is preparing to make the most important move of his life," said Shpilevski.

"He is leaving Arsenal even though they want to offer him a new long-term contract and better conditions.

"Only time will tell if leaving is the right decision, but there's no way back now.

"Everything will be cleared up in the next two weeks."

http://www.4thegame.com/club/arsenal-fc/news/218294/agent_hleb_to_quit_gunners.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)