[ENG] Premier League 2013/2014 (120 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Liverpool released their 12/13 financial statements today. Loss for the year £49.85 million (approximately €60m loss).

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.co...verpools-financial-numbers-steadily-improving

Losses for 11/12 and 10/11 were around €50m and €60m respectively and I expect them to write a loss in this year as well given the new players invested in and possibly higher wage bill (and no big money sales). Do you guys think they will meet FFP criterias for CL assuming they finish in the top 4 this season??
They should've sold Suarez...
If we sold Suarez we probably wouldn't be as competitive in the league.

Hopefully we'll be alright.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'd be happy if Liverpool never won the Premier League in my lifetime. Saying that I'd be happy if none of the current big teams/money teams did, but then there is no romance in football anymore.

I'm sure people feel the same way about Juve in Serie A.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Can be said of all the non-Italian football threads.

FA Cup, DFB Pokal etc. all end up being discussed in the league thread.

Should change to just having an English football thread, a German football thread, etc. if you want to make the system more correct.
:agree: their respective National teams could be discussed there as well.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Liverpool winning the league would be nice if it happens this season.
I'm with JuveJay on this one. I hope never to see that club achieve anything ever again. You all moan about Man Utd fans getting all cocky as too Arsenal. Just you wait if the day ever happens when Liverpool start winning silverware consistently.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Who is more hated in England ? Yanited or Pool ?
Tough to say. With United the hate comes from jealousy and preferential treatment (for their team, manager), plus the insane amount of bandwagoners, but it is offset by an underlying respect for the dynasty they created. They are ridiculed for having fans from everywhere except Manchester, more of a brand than a club these days, but not really in the same way that we are a team for Italy. When you target United you aren't targeting a city or a people, it is just a football club.

With Liverpool their dynasty was 30 years ago now, so they have a lot of fans who support the team through their parents who remember the good old days when Liverpool swept all aside at home and abroad. For me they are amongst the most delusional because for a long time they have still believed they are this big power just waiting for a break. As a club they have their heart on their sleeve, but no brains behind it.

I would separate scouse Liverpool fans with Liverpool fans in general. There are politics involved that include and go beyond football, the whole north/south divide, working class, mining strikes backdrop, and the consequences of Heysel (one thing older fans of other teams don't like them for) and Hillsborough. There has always been a sense of oppression and victimisation coming from Liverpool, so they are very insular and staunchly biased. This spills over to the wider Liverpool fan base. You see something similar with Newcastle fans, similar backdrop; extremely loyal and local proud but unbelievably biased. With them, however, they can only go so far, because they don't have the grand history to back up their pride.

Just my take on it.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Tough to say. With United the hate comes from jealousy and preferential treatment (for their team, manager), plus the insane amount of bandwagoners, but it is offset by an underlying respect for the dynasty they created. They are ridiculed for having fans from everywhere except Manchester, more of a brand than a club these days, but not really in the same way that we are a team for Italy. When you target United you aren't targeting a city or a people, it is just a football club.

With Liverpool their dynasty was 30 years ago now, so they have a lot of fans who support the team through their parents who remember the good old days when Liverpool swept all aside at home and abroad. For me they are amongst the most delusional because for a long time they have still believed they are this big power just waiting for a break. As a club they have their heart on their sleeve, but no brains behind it.

I would separate scouse Liverpool fans with Liverpool fans in general. There are politics involved that include and go beyond football, the whole north/south divide, working class, mining strikes backdrop, and the consequences of Heysel (one thing older fans of other teams don't like them for) and Hillsborough. There has always been a sense of oppression and victimisation coming from Liverpool, so they are very insular and staunchly biased. This spills over to the wider Liverpool fan base. You see something similar with Newcastle fans, similar backdrop; extremely loyal and local proud but unbelievably biased. With them, however, they can only go so far, because they don't have the grand history to back up their pride.

Just my take on it.
i dont think this is true :rolleyes:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I just wondered how else you would know who was more hated in England? Maybe I misread the initial question and The Cusp meant 'most hated English team'. In England when people think of Manchester they think Man City, but I know from experience there are also United fans there.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I just wondered how else you would know who was more hated in England? Maybe I misread the initial question and The Cusp meant 'most hated English team'. In England when people think of Manchester they think Man City, but I know from experience there are also United fans there.
i seriously have no idea who is more hated in england i just was reffering to the part "They are ridiculed for having fans from everywhere except Manchester, more of a brand than a club these days". a club that has won 5 out of 7 titles and a CL last years cant be considered more of a brand than a club... and City having more fans in Manchester? i know United isnt from the City of Manchester but i always watch the champions ceremonies and you cant compare those of United and City in people attendance. i also read somewhere that its a lie...

you may be right but, from what i know, this was wrong...

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Remember they did re-brand:

It's just part of how big teams have evolved, following the American example is one way. Having a franchise is worth more money than being tied to a community, but it always helps to be based in a large city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 120)