Electric Scooters (1 Viewer)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Ok, so I'm now totally into this, I'm not sure how to call it, means of transportation, joy, and accidents. So I've decided that after a decade (I think) I'm gonna open the thread.

Do you drive one of these?
What kind?

We can basically discuss anything related to Electric scooters.

Buy on AliExpress.com

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
The vehicles themselves are pretty sweet but legislation is lagging behind, making e-scooters a bigger cancer on the road than bicycles in this country. You get (preferrably underage and of questionable demographics) traffic participants who never took a driving exam of any kind. They don't know about any basics such as merging, right of way, road signs, anything. They zigzag between road, bike lane and sidewalk depending on what light is on, they stop in the middle of the road to look at their phones etc. Bonus: zero accountability because rentals. Bottom line: e-scooters cool, humans trash.

OP
Oggy

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    Totally agree, here is also crazy, many people don't have a basic idea about the traffic, plus stupid pedestrians who just wander around.

However, I sold my Ninebot G30 and bought Pulse 10 Dual Pro, it has 1200W dual motor and 60V 28aH battery.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    1- Take me anywhere
    20200827_135455.jpg

2- Gravel and commute
    20210321_140253.jpg

3- Fast or long ride with ice cream stops
    MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg

The advantage is that all three have the same battery and it charges nice and full while sleeping. The next day You're good to go for a new adventure.

piotrr

Мodеrator
    Sep 13, 2011
    I have never stood on a skateboard but decided to get an electric longboard 2y ago, always liked the videos of people riding. There was a kickstarter campaign going on so it wasn't that expensive.
    So had to learn from the scratch but wasn't so hard, now i overtake people on electric scooters cause the board is almost up to 40km/h. :D It's a lot of fun (probably until you crash but that didn't happen so far).

Backfire G2 Galaxy

1622711802998.png

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    FUCK electric scooters and anyone who plagues our urban spaces with them.

Too slow to overtake slow people on bikes easily, so they take up the entire left lane and jam me up when im going to work.

Never parked responsibly, I've seen old people tripping and falling and I've sprained an ankle and hit my shin on those bitches.

GTFO.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, I'm only talking about this shit

autoskate-elektrisk-lobehjul.jpg

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    I still enjoy walking the most.
    I do too.

But my E-Bike has effictively replaced train/bus/car for shorter distances whenever I want to get somewhere rather quick and without breaking out into sweat.

Or for Photo-Tours through nature with a big camera backpack for example.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    I do too.

But my E-Bike has effictively replaced train/bus/car for shorter distances whenever I want to get somewhere rather quick and without breaking out into sweat.

Or for Photo-Tours through nature with a big camera backpack for example.
    Haha yeah, getting e-bike was my first thought when I was looking at my camera :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Meh. Electric scooters were promised to be better for cities than cars. That turned out to be a big lie.

Overall they have not replaced car miles as much as walking or public transit miles. Studies have shown that they have a 165% per mile environmental impact relative to miles otherwise done by existing modes of transport. And just as bad, their public lifecycle is terrible -- I think the median for a Lime scooter was recently like 60 days, or only an average of about 120 uses, before they had to be replaced. Imagine the environmental impact of having to replace your car every few months.

Not to mention how they exclude lots of people who could otherwise benefit from alternative transport.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    They’re great for cities, especially if you’re exploring and a lot cheaper than Ubering everywhere. I did hit a pothole and wipe out pretty badly on one tho, so definitely gotta be careful. Apparently people have gotten unlucky and cracked their skulls when falling before.

totally great tho.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    They’re great for cities, especially if you’re exploring and a lot cheaper than Ubering everywhere. I did hit a pothole and wipe out pretty badly on one tho, so definitely gotta be careful. Apparently people have gotten unlucky and cracked their skulls when falling before.

totally great tho.
    They're not great for cities. I think you're confusing intention with actual outcomes. Kinda like how Republican Jesus would give you meals from his two fish and a loaf of bread, but then he'd just encourage you to be a lazy sloth leeching off the system.

Because what happens in practice has not been good for cities: more waste, more environmental harm, more accidents. They could improve that, surely. It's a relatively new impact, so you have to learn from it to get it right. But right now it's a step backwards before it can be a step forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)