Earthquake to hit LA? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
Yeah, 6.5 is a huge earthquake. The ground will move in waves up to 10 feet tall. That will level buildings, break every water main, electrical line, and gas main; and send cars (along with everything else) flying. Good thing I'm not going to the West Coast anytime soon.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Can't imagine anything of the sort but it sounds frightning. Biggest earthquake Holland has ever suffered measured about 1.2 if I recall correctly :D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
Yeah, 6.5 is a huge earthquake. The ground will move in waves up to 10 feet tall. That will level buildings, break every water main, electrical line, and gas main; and send cars (along with everything else) flying. Good thing I'm not going to the West Coast anytime soon.

Really? I always thought 6ish wasnt that bad, I thought that only above 7 were really dangerous, and over 8 catastrophical? :undecide:

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Can't imagine anything of the sort but it sounds frightning. Biggest earthquake Holland has ever suffered measured about 1.2 if I recall correctly :D
Where do you guys go skiing? :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++

In the 2nd largest Metropolitan area in the Unites States, no less.
If it's centered under a San Fernando Valley strip mall, it might actually improve things a little. :p

(Being here in S.F. for the '89 quake, that 7.1 certainly caused its share of misery. But on the good side, it also cleared out some horrible 1950s civic planning "what-the-hell-were-you-thinking?"s.)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++
Hey Swag, you a Niners' fan by any chance???
Juve, man, Juve! :D

That said, I have followed the NFL over the years. Niners are alright. Given my Chicago roots, I've been a (mostly disappointed) Bears fan since the Abe Gibron era.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Quake to hit LA 'by Sept 5'
April 15, 2004 - 2:13PM

A US geophysicist has set the scientific world ablaze by claiming to have cracked a holy grail: accurate earthquake prediction, and warning that a big one will hit southern California by September 5.

Russian-born University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) professor Vladimir Keilis-Borok says he can foresee major quakes by tracking minor temblors and historical patterns in seismic hotspots that could indicate more violent shaking is on the way.
So... wonder if this bloke still has his job. :howler:

I should have included this in the list of reasons why the USSR didn't make it back when I wrote my essay a few months ago :D

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
How come people always (try) to sound American when acting dumb? :D
:wth: .. Naw, it isn't like that.. Stupidity is universal.. One race does not deserve to have it all.. ;)

How dare you discriminate the rest of the world like that.. :fero:

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)