Dying For Decent Rock Band (1 Viewer)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
There are hundreeds of decent rock bands born every year worldwide. The problem is that for us, as consumers, it is very difficult to locate and get exposed to non-commercial music- big fish like Sony and BMI kill newcomers with their well-advertised commercial stuff.

What I used to do with trance music- is to get involved in email and discussion groups, message boards- something where I could find out about new artists and listen to their music. I would advise you do something like that if you want to dig deeper. :)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
music has just evovled... the people who try to bring back the old stuff do not get signed, and if they do, they arent discovered publically, like pendir said, they arent advertised to the mainstream. But its also staying put at the moment, people who are doing new things are not getting signed because it is too risky.

But having said that, i think creed is the 'bees-knees' ;)

Have you ever listened to human clay?( the album) its brilliant!

dont know jet- any good?

Max

Jul 15, 2003
jet are, hmm, how should i put this? They are very similar to AC/DC, but i guess the music is okay. BUT ROCK NEEDS ANOTHER LEGENDARY BAND LIKE LED ZEPPELIN OR SOMETHING. A BAND THAT WILL STICK AROUND FOR A WHILE. oh, have you guys heard of velvet revolver?

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++

that was a ' trying to get a post' post if i ever saw one.:D

excuse me for not writting more than neccessary.

what do you want me to say" there will never be better rock bands than the ones we have already saw. that people of this decade will never be able to 'rock' as good as the 'oldies' "

dont expect me to write all that when i can just put a "nah. forget it"

:groan:

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

excuse me for not writting more than neccessary.

what do you want me to say" there will never be better rock bands than the ones we have already saw. that people of this decade will never be able to 'rock' as good as the 'oldies' "

dont expect me to write all that when i can just put a "nah. forget it"

:groan:
oh.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
It is absolutely inzane that there can't come any new good bands. The eighties might have sucked but they gave us Metallica, U2 and Guns n' roses. The early 90's was awesome with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. But the last five years there has not been a single really good rock album.
I can't imagine that it is because the pop and hip-hop artists get more advertising. Good music will find a way to its audience eventually. Kill 'em all was never played on radio and was not exactly promoted and look at where they are now.
It would be sad if this world all of a sudden lost all talent but as a matter of fact i really think we are having a dip right now. The interest for music is extreme right now and we have all possibilites in the world to find good alternative music on the net. Still we can't find it.
I think there are two reasons behind this, first is that we can't come up with anything new. And the second is that artists are too eager to make something new that they just make crap, I think we should look back more and not be so creative all the time.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
the real reason why rock isn't the same anymore is becoz there's just not enough hard drugs around... That's my theory anyhow...
The worst you can get these days is an uninspiring, sober, MTV-driven "rock" star...

hey if you're not gifted enough, then at least take some drugs to help you out...

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dharurat ] ++
the real reason why rock isn't the same anymore is becoz there's just not enough hard drugs around... That's my theory anyhow...
The worst you can get these days is an uninspiring, sober, MTV-driven "rock" star...

hey if you're not gifted enough, then at least take some drugs to help you out...
:LOL:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The last band I thought was going to save rock and roll was San Diego's Drive Like Jehu. They broke up in 1994...

Max

Jul 15, 2003

You're right about the drugs. In the early 90s, all those bands, except maybe Pearl Jam, were into heavy durgs such as heroin, cocaine, LSD (not that extreme). The drugs fueled them and gave them weird feelings. After all, Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" is about a dream he had after he nodded off from heroin.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001

Not stupid at all. Most of the best groups have been using some kind of drug either Alcohol or something heavier. The doors and Oasis make all their music high on acid. Hetfield was an alcoholic until a few years ago and look at wat crap he has made since...
Also many of the absolutely best songs are either about drugs or created when the artist was using drugs.

It might not be the biggest reason for the dip but it is a very important one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)