Douglas Costa (47 Viewers)

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Is not that I don't like this deal, seems to me like a "last minute desperate deal" to at least don't pay Costa's wages

But...

Just a reminder that next year we will have to sell a 31 year old Costa (probably still injury prone) with only 1 year left on his contract and a 6 million salary...

:rolleyes2:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
no loan fee still means we save his salary, and it looks like the club realized how unsustainable our wage bill has become. it's all about the cash flow now, we'll probably take care of amortization next summer.

Lancelot

Oct 24, 2011
It`s good that we got his wages off the books.
In the middle of pandemic nobody wants to spend fortune on new players, cause nobody knows what`s gonna happen next and how long it`s gonna last. There are just minimal fluctuations between players. He is 30, injury prone, expensive, didnt have great experience here so it`s difficult to offload him even for free.

If we really manage to get rid of him and De Sciglio between today and tomorrow then Paratici did a great job this time. We still need to get rid of Berna and Khedira but I guess there is not much space for maneuver if the player is refusing to leave even if you put a gun on his head.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
is there any option/ obligation attached?

Defended him for a while but I gave up on that months ago. He is another player i'll be glad to see the back of.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
no loan fee still means we save his salary, and it looks like the club realized how unsustainable our wage bill has become. it's all about the cash flow now, we'll probably take care of amortization next summer.
Yeah, those moves scream 'let's stop the bleeding'. Perhaps giving away for free players on loans sucks but this is good long term. It's about time the management stops playing with fire aka messing with financial stuff so much. Buying not-so-young-anymore players who quickly go past their prime here backfires with those huge wages they're getting. Plus the overpaid freebies. This had to stop and the management needed to covid to realize that which is bad enough in itself tbh.

Paolino

Nov 1, 2013
Is not that I don't like this deal, seems to me like a "last minute desperate deal" to at least don't pay Costa's wages

But...

Just a reminder that next year we will have to sell a 31 year old Costa (probably still injury prone) with only 1 year left on his contract and a 6 million salary...

:rolleyes2:
We will terminate his contract next summer

- - - Updated - - -

is there any option/ obligation attached?

Defended him for a while but I gave up on that months ago. He is another player i'll be glad to see the back of.
No, just a dry loan they said

Boksic

May 11, 2005
It`s good that we got his wages off the books.
In the middle of pandemic nobody wants to spend fortune on new players, cause nobody knows what`s gonna happen next and how long it`s gonna last. There are just minimal fluctuations between players. He is 30, injury prone, expensive, didnt have great experience here so it`s difficult to offload him even for free.

If we really manage to get rid of him and De Sciglio between today and tomorrow then Paratici did a great job this time. We still need to get rid of Berna and Khedira but I guess there is not much space for maneuver if the player is refusing to leave even if you put a gun on his head.
Apart from us :snoop:

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Why not?

We've basically committed to paying 105m on 2 players who have come off underwhelming seasons in Morata and Chiesa. Both big money sales no matter what spin is put on it (most transfer fees are spread over a few years).

We can say it's OK to not bring any money in from sales because nobody is spending but we are.

Lancelot

Oct 24, 2011
Why not?

We've basically committed to paying 105m on 2 players who have come off underwhelming seasons in Morata and Chiesa. Both big money sales no matter what spin is put on it (most transfer fees are spread over a few years).

We can say it's OK to not bring any money in from sales because nobody is spending but we are.
Both transfers are spread over 2 and more years. Obviously the management think that after 2 years we will recover financially. On top of that Morata is a loan, with an option for another loan so we are not obliged to buy him outright after the second year.
More or less the same goes for Chiesa, but obviously he is younger, italian, so probably we will buy him andl rely on him in the future

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Both transfers are spread over 2 and more years. Obviously the management think that after 2 years we will recover financially. On top of that Morata is a loan, with an option for another loan so we are not obliged to buy him outright after the second year.
More or less the same goes for Chiesa, but obviously he is younger, italian, so probably we will buy him andl rely on him in the future
Lets see if we make Morata permanent in 2 years. I'd be very surprised if we don't. I can only think of 2 loans in the last 10 years where we didn't (Estegarribia and Romulo).

Most transfer fees are spread over a number of years these days.

Strange that we think it is ok to make large investments over 3 years but other clubs don't.

Niku

Jan 14, 2014
After seeing some many dry loans, we are in deep shit financially. i think we cant even pay salaries for players. The only solution is to give away players for free in order to reduce salaries.
That must be the case, otherwise I dont get this move, is not that Costa is going to be the main player for them in Germany, he would have the same role as in here.
And yet we lose depth. Sigh...

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
That must be the case, otherwise I dont get this move, is not that Costa is going to be the main player for them in Germany, he would have the same role as in here.
And yet we lose depth. Sigh...
Or maybe we just want to sell him and move on but realise there are no buyers available due to the uncertainty of Covid and we want to make sure he plays to keep his market value as high as possible.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Good deal for both parties. We don't have to spend 12m for Costa to have a few flashy dribblings and Bayern can hope he'll do something more for them as they had no alternative on the market.

Costa belongs to 4-3-3 which we don't play and even if we were, he'd be a second choice to both Ronaldo and Kulu.

Come on, they guy is always injured and earns huge money. You won't find a buyer for him.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
He should have went to Wolves who is more serious in buying him, but he want to go to clubs who has potential to be championship contender in the league.

Now i can only expect he can have less injury in Bayern which have a good conditioning and fitness coach team and have a good season in Bundesliga

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Did we have some sort of gentleman agreement he cant play against us in the CL? Also , with him gone , we are losing a potential attacking threat that comes from the bench.
Right now our attacking threat from the bench is Morata and Berna. Doesnt scare anyone does it.

Would have preferred if we kept him and send Berna the other way for Fede. But i guess , financial took the decision with saving 12 mil on Costa wage against 8 mil by Berna

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)