Douglas Costa (32 Viewers)

He-Man

Mar 1, 2013
Costa is out best dribbler, he has the best pass in the team (much better than Pjanic in fact) and is not afraid to get past the defenders. Selling him would be a big mistake.
who cares about dribblers ? maybe u,
I dont belong to this generation. I was raised on Juve 93-98. and I know that jogabonito dribbling has nothing to do with being the best.

For me, tackle or synchronized shifting formation is more of a reason to FAP than Sterling (hes a shit ) or Costa joga bonito..

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Look how much time Ajax gives him on the ball. The whole game stops when he gets possession. Surely that brings value to the team when you are getting pressed to dust the whole game and you can just play a 5 metre ball to this guy and press pause and catch a breath.

Of course it helps when he is driving the ball right at defenders, brings 2 or 3 into his area and then makes a sideways pass to a midfielder who can breath for once.

Full disclosure: His final ball was shit. But it doesn't erase the help he brings to possession.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Look how much time Ajax gives him on the ball. The whole game stops when he gets possession. Surely that brings value to the team when you are getting pressed to dust the whole game and you can just play a 5 metre ball to this guy and press pause and catch a breath.

Of course it helps when he is driving the ball right at defenders, brings 2 or 3 into his area and then makes a sideways pass to a midfielder who can breath for once.

Full disclosure: His final ball was shit. But it doesn't erase the help he brings to possession.

Most rational post in quite a few pages. The hate is uncalled for and so is the overrating praise. In a nutshell, when fit, he’s a very important asset that adds something nobody else in the team does.

He’s not afraid to go one on one (something rare these days) and like you said, if anything, he helps taking the pressure off the rest of the team and defenders will think twice before going all in or they’ll be left behind chasing this guy. His first season here was great and he was doing great until the spitting incident and then injuries.

Bottom line is he doesn’t need to be the “star”. We have fucking Ronaldo. He’s just a great asset to have and an important beast to unleash when we’re struggling and can’t maintain possession and should be treated as such. The hate is stupid.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I think its because he is former bayern player. The germans here have irrational hatred of anything touched by bayern
I love how you never give a mention when talking to/about me, like a woman looking to the ground scared of a slap :lol3:

Also your logic is flawed, because if it was a Bayern related hating then we would praise Costa to show that Bayern made a stupid sale

Literally everything you post is dumb, factually wrong or illogical

I don't know why you dumped the nootropics idea

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I genuinely don't understand the support of tuz for a bum like Costa.
A bum with supreme dribbling ability and skill.

If you don’t like Costa because he’s Brazilian and a former Bayern player, that’s fine, just admit it. Don’t try to pretend like he’s a bad player, because everyone with eyes and a brain can tell that he’s not.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I love how you never give a mention when talking to/about me, like a woman looking to the ground scared of a slap :lol3:

Also your logic is flawed, because if it was a Bayern related hating then we would praise Costa to show that Bayern made a stupid sale

Literally everything you post is dumb, factually wrong or illogical

I don't know why you dumped the nootropics idea
:lol: false i mention you all the time

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
If you don’t like Costa because he’s Brazilian and a former Bayern player, that’s fine, just admit it. Don’t try to pretend like he’s a bad player, because everyone with eyes and a brain can tell that he’s not.
That's just not true, just the cheapest of all ways to try and deflate my opinion.

I'll quote you after we do a Bayern and ship him out next summer, for either being inconsistent (almost never scores or assists against the big guys, everyone with eyes and a brain can tell ;)), injured, undisciplined, or all three. But of course new excuses will be made for him, like how he's an misunderstood genious of some sorts.

And yeah, he can dribble.

And for the record, i'm not in the sell at all costs category, BUT is a player as inconsistent as him worth keeping if an €50m+ offer arrives? He isn't a starter and we have problems in midfield, and due to age, in defense to fix. The money would come in handy.

Last edited:

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think its because he is former bayern player. The germans here have irrational hatred of anything touched by bayern
I think Costa is viewed as an attacking player and so he should pour goals and assists. Really, he is a midfielder. Anyone on our team who plays the opposite side of Ronaldo is a midfielder. First priority is to hold the defensive shape and second is to bring the ball forward from their own half. They don't get to stand on the last man and wait for a ball.

This is true of Berna, Costa and Cuadrado. But sometimes Berna will get to play as a SS. Lots of times Costa gets compared with Dybala but Dybala is playing a much different role. Costa should be compared with the rest of the midfielders.

I think people see RW and think that Berna, Costa, Cuads are playing the same position as Salah or Neymar, but they're really not. They're playing true midfield positions.

And another issue is chance creation. For example, over the course of 3 games, Costa might create 10 chances out of nothing and produce only 2 goals + assists whereas another player over 3 games might create 2 chances for themselves and produce 1 goal + assist but they look better because there are less glaring mistakes.

I feel as if Cuadrado finds himself in this category as well. Like if he goes on a dead sprint to beat his man to the back post and misses a goal it's a negative but how many other players would get into that position? Very few. So really isn't it a positive?

If Costa takes the ball from half and dribbles straight to the net and misses. Is it a negative?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I think Costa is viewed as an attacking player and so he should pour goals and assists. Really, he is a midfielder. Anyone on our team who plays the opposite side of Ronaldo is a midfielder. First priority is to hold the defensive shape and second is to bring the ball forward from their own half. They don't get to stand on the last man and wait for a ball.

This is true of Berna, Costa and Cuadrado. But sometimes Berna will get to play as a SS. Lots of times Costa gets compared with Dybala but Dybala is playing a much different role. Costa should be compared with the rest of the midfielders.

I think people see RW and think that Berna, Costa, Cuads are playing the same position as Salah or Neymar, but they're really not. They're playing true midfield positions.

And another issue is chance creation. For example, over the course of 3 games, Costa might create 10 chances out of nothing and produce only 2 goals + assists whereas another player over 3 games might create 2 chances for themselves and produce 1 goal + assist but they look better because there are less glaring mistakes.

I feel as if Cuadrado finds himself in this category as well. Like if he goes on a dead sprint to beat his man to the back post and misses a goal it's a negative but how many other players would get into that position? Very few. So really isn't it a positive?

If Costa takes the ball from half and dribbles straight to the net and misses. Is it a negative?
Yes it is difficult for me to understand how some folks dont see value in the something extra costa adds whether he is the scoring/assisting or not.

Like you said he doesnt have to be a hybrid FW scoring loads of goals in fact that isnt even what we need.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
A bum with supreme dribbling ability and skill.

Please. This is just stupid. Costa has been shit this year. He fucked his own season over this year. Now he has 2 months to remedy that and show he's worth keeping and making an important part of this team. And no, this isn't some anti-Costa thing from Allegri, who started him in most games last winter when he was in top form. Costa needs to find his form and play well like that now, and through the end of the season. And then, yes, he's an excellent. But until that happens, yesterday was his first good performance since August. Hardly inspiring stuff.

He was also shit for half his time at Bayern, as the vast majority of Bayern fans will point out. So he's hardly some supreme and consistent top player.

Go back to fapping over Sarri and bashing Allegri. Talk about blind and brainless. :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is difficult for me to understand how some folks dont see value in the something extra costa adds whether he is the scoring/assisting or not.

Like you said he doesnt have to be a hybrid FW scoring loads of goals in fact that isnt even what we need.
Because, after his spitting incident, any time he was on the pitch, it wasn't that he wasn't scoring/assisting, it was that he was in terrible form, lost the ball continually, and wasn't creating any chances.

He was in atrocious form, and looked like shit, and then you add the suspension, the injuries, the wrecking his car. It's been a bad year.

He has 2 months to prove he belongs here now.

- - - Updated - - -

I could say the same when you're going on and on about how terrible Bonucci is. You are ignoring that he brings value to the team, in other aspects, even if his defending has been poor this year, which is why our defensive record is actually better than last year with the Chiellini-Benatia (even if Benatia of last year was a much better defender than Bonucci has been this year) partnership, even though our RB, Cancelo, hardly defends at all.

Bonucci's passing and ball skills from the back ease pressure on our backline, allow us to break out against teams that press hard much better. It doesn't work as well when he's beside a passive defender like Rugani who has regressed this year, but alongside an aggressive and superb defender in Chiellini, Bonucci's skills can often be a perfect complement. When the two of them are on the pitch together, team's have a lot of trouble pressing our backline into the sort of mistakes and giveaways that happened last year, especially in CL. And Chiellini's fantastic defensive abilities make up for Bonucci's more middling abilities in that regard.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)