Douglas Costa (30 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Good game

I think people are far too critical of him in the final third because they see how easily he beats players in midfield areas they expect the same at the edge of the area when running towards defenders who are properly set to defend the situation.

His major strength is turning players who get tight on him and opening up space for a counter. This sort of player is hugely important for Europe, particularly when he can receive passes near our own box under pressure and can keep the ball/turn the opposition/win a free-kick.
Ya I completely agree. I don't really see this final 3rd stuff people complain about. Usually he just passes sideways in a safe manner, it's not like you see him shooting into the stands constantly. If anything he should probably shoot more.

But the ability to just carry the ball through the toughest part of the midfield is insane.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Ya I completely agree. I don't really see this final 3rd stuff people complain about. Usually he just passes sideways in a safe manner, it's not like you see him shooting into the stands constantly. If anything he should probably shoot more.

But the ability to just carry the ball through the toughest part of the midfield is insane.
Please. If he plays in a 4-3-3 he needs to offer more in the final 3rd. He has done nothing there this entire year. He's not a midfielder, he needs to have some sort of attacking output. And anything he opens up by bringing the ball forward he most often loses running into a defender in the end or when he puts in a poor pass or cross, or does some short sideways or backwards pass slowing play down.

He's a quarter of the player he was for the last 4 months of last season. It's pretty obvious watching him.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Please. If he plays in a 4-3-3 he needs to offer more in the final 3rd. He has done nothing there this entire year. He's not a midfielder, he needs to have some sort of attacking output. And anything he opens up by bringing the ball forward he most often loses running into a defender in the end or when he puts in a poor pass or cross, or does some short sideways or backwards pass slowing play down.

He's a quarter of the player he was for the last 4 months of last season. It's pretty obvious watching him.
I would agree if he wasn't the one constantly breaking the midfield lines. You say he's not a midfielder but he's doing the midfielders' job. If he's sat there up top waiting for service then I agree with you but he's not.

And today he had the shot that allowed Kean to score and an offside goal last appearance. He has as many starts as Rugani, he needs to play way more.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Jot down the names of everyone with goldfish memory who want DC sold. We'll name and shame them later.

- - - Updated - - -

She's someone's daughter, you pervert.
Not many want him sold. Mostly we want to play better and not look like shit in the final third.

He's easily been as bad as Pjanic this year, if not worse. So lol at you getting all self-righteous here. :lol3:

dolph

Mar 30, 2006

Thats not his role In this team. His role is to receive the ball deep, and start of the attacking moves. Otherwise you need someone else who is able to carry the ball forward and leave him in 1on1 situations, but that is not the case.
Whenever he gets the ball he has 2 players standing on his toes, and his ability to break free is second to none.
Amazing player. Should play every time over Mandzu.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Thats not his role In this team. His role is to receive the ball deep, and start of the attacking moves. Otherwise you need someone else who is able to carry the ball forward and leave him in 1on1 situations, but that is not the case.
Whenever he gets the ball he has 2 players standing on his toes, and his ability to break free is second to none.
Amazing player. Should play every time over Mandzu.
I tell you what. If we had someone like Costa to carry the ball through the other team and pass to another Costa who is by himself, fully rested, just waiting to for the ball outside the area, that would be a good team.

Instead he is playing beside Khedira RCM and MDS RB. Just laughable teammates offensively speaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)