Douglas Costa (63 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He's much more dangerous around the box on the right, imo. So quick, great at feinting as though he's driving right, stops on a dime, and either whips in those great in-swinging crosses, a short incisive pass, or rips a shot. It seems to open the field up for him.

The guy loves to cut into the middle, around the box and in transition. Because he's so left footed, as soon as he moves into a more central position with the ball, he's got very few angles available for forward passes. Again, from what I see, playing on the right opens up the field for him. He's more comfortable over there.

Unfortunately, Cuadrado and Bernardeschi are also more comfortable on the right. Bit of a logjam at that spot.
Also cutting inside from the right helps a lot in build up as well. You can't get trapped by the touchline if you can cut onto your strong foot at a 45 degree angle and drive at the defense. Then when you do that, Dybala can drift more into scoring areas and never touch the ball until the end, which is optimal.

We need more players that can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch and ask the defense to make a decision in a hard area to defend, then you can lay off to Dybala or Higuain. No one on our team can do that.

I think even Cuadrado could do it if he was on the left. Same principles apply.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Also cutting inside from the right helps a lot in build up as well. You can't get trapped by the touchline if you can cut onto your strong foot at a 45 degree angle and drive at the defense. Then when you do that, Dybala can drift more into scoring areas and never touch the ball until the end, which is optimal.

We need more players that can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch and ask the defense to make a decision in a hard area to defend, then you can lay off to Dybala or Higuain. No one on our team can do that.

The thing is that we have 2 wingers in berna and cuadrado already on the right.

And on the left we just have mandzukic as a "winger" and pjaca is a question mark right now so i dont count him yet

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
one of the reasons i wanted only one between him and Berna in the summer, but it is what it is. if you ask me id go with:

Higuain/Mandzu
Mandzu/Pjaca/DC Dybala/Berna Cuads/DC/Berna

best we can do with current roster
Hopefully Pjaca is feeling good. Such a shame he got hurt before we shifted formations last season.

I'm not a huge fan of the 4-2-3-1... although management spent a fair bit of money with that in mind. Longer term, I'd like to see a quality midfield reinforcement in the summer, and a 3 man midfield. I think we need that solidity, especially given the BBBC is a thing of the past. I also basically see Berna as Dybala's sub. Longer term, I don't really see him as a winger, but that's where things are right now.

Bit frustrating that we're almost at midseason and the team is still a bit unsettled. Fortunately the new buys are becoming more comfortable, so at least things are headed in the right direction.

Absolutely, opening up those angles significantly helps the buildup/transition play. It would be great to get Dybala into those dangerous areas more frequently, but the question is what's the best way to do that given the current pieces and setup? I think it is with Costa on the right. We definitely do not get the best out of Dybala as a CAM, but I don't see his position really changing at this point, and I don't see any big additions coming in the winter mercato.

One thing is certain, we need another stud B2B midfielder, who can pressure the opponent a bit and also help drive possession play through the middle of the park. I know things are strained with Lazio, but that young man ripping it up over there would fit the bill very nicely, imo. I'd like to see a big offer made, maybe try to entice them with an extra piece of ours. A little more support for Pjanic would also mean that he could occasionally take a few more risks, and create a bit more around the box. Gotta get him healthy, ASAP; such an important player for the team.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
What's the general opinion about him? 46m well spent? A future starter?

I think he lacks too much end product.

1 goal so far and 3 assists. In comparison Cuadrado has 4 goals and 5 assists, Bernardeschi 3 goals and 2 assists and Mandzukic has 6 goals and 2 assists.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011

1 goal so far and 3 assists. In comparison Cuadrado has 4 goals and 5 assists, Bernardeschi 3 goals and 2 assists and Mandzukic has 6 goals and 2 assists.
Yeah I'm expecting a little more too. But his impact on the game and the directness that he brings is great nonetheless, just needs to be more clinical.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
he. needs. to. play. on. the. right. side.
He had zero support in attack from his side. Sturaro and Asamoah were playing on the left with him. We should give him some games from the left alongside Matuidi and Sandro.

Today he presented Dybala with a clear goalscoring opportunity, even when he doesn’t assist or score, he influences the game with his runs and directness.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

Overall I'd say he has been a disappointing and not worth the 46m. He hasn't done enough, particularly against the smaller teams.

But the Napoli game was very encouraging, I'd like to see him start in a front 3 of Costa-Dybala and Higuain again. Hopefully he can show more in the second half of the season.

Apr 19, 2007
Overall I'd say he has been a disappointing and not worth the 46m. He hasn't done enough, particularly against the smaller teams.

But the Napoli game was very encouraging, I'd like to see him start in a front 3 of Costa-Dybala and Higuain again. Hopefully he can show more in the second half of the season.
Unfortunately that not much for a winger right now. Berna should be sent back as well and Cuads was~35 right? The market is justinsane for attackers because of how rare and important they are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)