Douglas Costa (30 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
is it only me or majority of coaches in national teams are absolute jokes?
not absolute jokes, but hardly top level, yeah. I don't think the federations can afford to pay 5-7m + tax while top clubs easily pay that, the work with NTs is very part-time and the prestige is not there, so not really that surprising.

hard to make the switch back to clubs too, Prandelli and Donadoni f.e. completely fell off the map after coaching and doing decent with one of the most prestigious NTs out there

Buy on AliExpress.com

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
not absolute jokes, but hardly top level, yeah. I don't think the federations can afford to pay 5-7m + tax while top clubs easily pay that, the work with NTs is very part-time and the prestige is not there, so not really that surprising.

hard to make the switch back to clubs too, Prandelli and Donadoni f.e. completely fell off the map after coaching and doing decent with one of the most prestigious NTs out there
Prandelli did terribly with Italy, went to Galatasaray immediately after and did poorly as well.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Prandelli did terribly with Italy, went to Galatasaray immediately after and did poorly as well.
What? Prandelli made a mediocre looking Italy play really good football and got them (totally unexpected) to the 2012 EC final. He failed miserably two years later, but there was also talk about problems within the team. It still shouldn’t take away what he did with the team before 2014. He also made Fiorentina look like a top side in the CL, knocking out Liverpool and losing to the runners-up, Bayern Münich, mainly because of a retarded Norwegian ref.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
What? Prandelli made a mediocre looking Italy play really good football and got them (totally unexpected) to the 2012 EC final. He failed miserably two years later, but there was also talk about problems within the team. It still shouldn’t take away what he did with the team before 2014. He also made Fiorentina look like a top side in the CL, knocking out Liverpool and losing to the runners-up, Bayern Münich, mainly because of a retarded Norwegian ref.
I agree, Prandelli was very good for Italy other than that horrendous 2014 World Cup. In that first game they played against Spain in the group stages, he actually showed the world the blueprint to stop tiki-taka, they drew that game 1-1 but IMO Italy deserved to win that game. He fucked up by playing with a back 4 in the fins though.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I agree, Prandelli was very good for Italy other than that horrendous 2014 World Cup. In that first game they played against Spain in the group stages, he actually showed the world the blueprint to stop tiki-taka, they drew that game 1-1 but IMO Italy deserved to win that game. He fucked up by playing with a back 4 in the fins though.
And an injured Chiellini who was subbed after being involved in Spain’s first goal. The Italian team was out of energy for the final, though.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
He got far, but that run reminds me of England at this year's World Cup. I give him full credit for defeating Germany though. There was the non-stop Montolivo lovefest too. And then yes, in 2014 that was abysmal.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
he did great in 2012, nothing he could do in the final with the fitness issues Italians faced. of course he also fucked up in 2014, so overall I'd say decent.

him or Donadoni not receiving a proposal from Serie A top of the table sides after their spells with Italy is just another argument as to why coaches would want to stay away from NTs, one of the most ungrateful jobs out there. you get paid little, the pressure of playing well, getting results and calling up everyones favorites is immense, you're working a part time job for at least 2 years and it's highly likely that your reputation will be damaged even if you do a decent job

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
2012 Italy the idea was simply to put as many Juve players on the pitch in a 352 and hope for the best.

Definitaly overachieved though, especially when you consider that the line was led by Balotelli and Cassano (ironically both chronic underachievers in their careers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
2012 Italy the idea was simply to put as many Juve players on the pitch in a 352 and hope for the best.

Definitaly overachieved though, especially when you consider that the line was led by Balotelli and Cassano (ironically both chronic underachievers in their careers)
but that particular year, Balotelli played on a high level. he won the EPL with City and scored 16 goals. Cassano was still in his prime, and the backups, Giovinco and di Natale, came off fantastic seasons in Serie A. no need to mention the all Juve defense i believe. midfield had 2012 version of Pirlo (top3 in balon dor voting if i remember correctly), Marchisio coming off one of his 3 best seasons, DDR was there, Thiago Motta was a starter in Paris. weak link were the wingbacks, Maggio/Abate and Giacch/Balzaretti (Criscito got injured before the tournament), but other areas were pretty good

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
but that particular year, Balotelli played on a high level. he won the EPL with City and scored 16 goals. Cassano was still in his prime, and the backups, Giovinco and di Natale, came off fantastic seasons in Serie A. no need to mention the all Juve defense i believe. midfield had 2012 version of Pirlo (top3 in balon dor voting if i remember correctly), Marchisio coming off one of his 3 best seasons, DDR was there, Thiago Motta was a starter in Paris. weak link were the wingbacks, Maggio/Abate and Giacch/Balzaretti (Criscito got injured before the tournament), but other areas were pretty good
:agree: This wasn't a poor team by any means.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Criscito wasn't injured. He was left out because of a match fixing probe, which later was dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)